1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Daughter of married lesbians against Gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cesar123, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LiquidSwords

:confused:

Her opposition to gay marriage is because of the adoption rights that it affords and that she feels it's unhealthy for kids to be raised by same sex parents.. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't advocate legislating against the right of hetero couples to raise children, which is the equivalent, unless you're mental

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read this article and was just thinking how this provides more ammo for the anti gay agenda. Seriously they will cherish this story and declare this girl a anti gay saint. Thanks so much for turning your back on your mother and the gay community. I think this girl has some deep personal issues and this is her outlet for her troubles with not having her father in her life. Nothing really to do with having same sex parents. But yeah this is great news for the anti gay movement sadly. Almost as worse as when Cynthia Nixon said she choose to be gay.

3. Jazzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly. The problem is with a father figure, not the same-sex relationship. it's as if the same-sex relationship had hindered it, and though it probably did, because the biological mother left the father because of her love of person with another sex, the absence of a vather figure was not necessarily because of the same-sex relationship

4. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    She says she wants a "father figure" but the things that a father provide stereotypically such as authority and strength can easily be provided by a female with similar personality traits. The problem here was being raised by a parent and a step parent, regardless of gender. It's always difficult accepting a step parent but that doesn't mean it is a bad upbringing. As long as the parents love the child, gender is irrelevant.

5. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is just sad, really sad that she feels like this. From the sounds of what this article is saying, that she has a lot of unresolved feelings and she seems to be 'carrying' them around. Who are we talk, we all have seperate issues in our own lives that we could not realise we are carrying or know that we are carrying them to make others happy. In this case, it's sad and unfortunate that she has come to this conclusion, these days we live in a very opinionated world where people can say whatever they like, if it's thought out or not or it may come from a place where someone is hurting or hate, or some opinions could be said positively in a constructive and diplomatic manner. So whatever she is going through...what can you say.

#45 musicman1982, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  6. Eye Shine

She is very ungrateful! "Father wound" my ass! There are many kids out there with only one parent and she has the gull to complain that she doesn't have a father when she has two mothers. Very ungrateful! Also the fact that she has even made this public doesn't do justice to her moms or the gay community. I don't have pity for her because she should feel lucky! Some kids just have one parent. Some kids have their parents constantly fighting over them with divorces and making them choose where to go! This lady grew up with as far as we know two loving mothers. She should be grateful, but instead she has betrayed her parent's trust. It's obvious that she was only thinking of herself in this scenario and no one else. Many kids would love to actually have a family like this instead of being in foster care.

7. RainDreamer

There are children out there with no parents too... Would it be right to deny them a loving family just because the people adopting them are of the same sex?

8. Aldrick

I think people are not understanding what is actually going on here. What she believes is not relevant, her words are a distraction from the true story.

Every single thing she uttered was negated by the closing remarks, where she noted that she once used to be pro-marriage equality until she 'found Christ'. It is important to understand that she has been indoctrinated into a cult, and they are using her as a weapon against us. This is no different than people who were once openly gay and happy, suddenly 'finding Jesus' and then becoming ex-gays. It just so happens that this one is erotically heterosexual.

Understand, she was perfectly happy prior to this, and says so herself. The cult has clearly convinced her that she was hurt without a father figure, and rather than placing that blame on the father -- who she admits herself was an asshole who willingly bolted from her life -- she placed the blame on her mothers. This is what the cult wanted, because their goal is to use her as a weapon against us.

What she said is disgusting, hurtful, and a blatant act of disrespect to her mothers. Mothers, by the way, that she admits treated her with nothing but love and raised her well. However, attacking her rather than the cult itself, basically gives the cult more power. Every time she is attacked, the cult is going to rush in, defend her, and tell her how much they love her. They are going to tell her 'see we told you how awful they really were, look at how they are treating you' -- all in an effort to re-enforce her indoctrination.

The best strategy in these types of situations, and we will likely see more of them in the future, is to attack the cult rather than those indoctrinated by the cult.

9. Sweetberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I totally agree! It's sad that people don't think you achieve this without kids having a mother and a father.

10. yeehaw

I am really surprised by the comments on this thread. As I read the article I felt like it was very very very possible that her pain was actually caused by the fact that she had a dad for 2 or 3 years who then abandoned her. I strongly suspect that she's erroniously blaming the pain she feels as a result of being abandoned by her father on the fact that her mom is gay and partnered with a woman after leaving her dad. I believe strongly that her situation is very different than a situation where two gay people get married and have a child together and raise a child together and neither parent abandons the child. I do imagine that a child raised by gay parents might have some curiosity about bio parents, but that is an entirely different animal then dealing with being attached to a parent and then being abandoned. my mother raised me by herself. I never met my biological father. I always have had a strong curiosity about my biological father and other biological relatives, and have found it meaningful to connect with a biological half sister as an adult. But I can honestly say that I have never pined for a daddy. it is totally normal and fine to me have one parent--it is all I have ever known and the one I have is a good one.I imagine it is even better to have two good parents from the very beginning, even if both are not the bio parents, and even if both parents are of the same gender.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 06:01 AM ----------

I am horrified but plenty of what she said. But I also have compassion for her. She had a father AND HE ABANDONED HER. And she doesn't understand that that is the source of her pain. And as a result she's hurting other people (certainly including her mother and step mother) without understanding what's going on. And mostly that makes me sad.

#50 yeehaw, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  11. AlexTheGrey

Which may be true, but here's the thing, if they want to reconnect. Support them and let them. They get more role models, and they get an opportunity to understand their own history a bit better.

In this woman's case, it wasn't an option because he bailed. And she misplaces her blame as a result, possibly in part because of the behavior of her other role models. I wouldn't be surprise if the "didn't want or need a man" has a kernel of truth in it that she internalized and used to help reinforce her current notions.

Well, especially since she had a male role model who seems to have basically bailed on the kid. I agree with other posters that this person is conflating the issues around the divorce and parent leaving the picture with same-sex relationships. But I also agree a variety of role models is good for a kid.

I couldn't get more than 5 comments into the reader commentary. Blah.

12. candyjiru

This was pretty much my thought exactly. It sounds like she never got over the divorce, even though she was too young to know anything other than "he wasn't a great guy." I feel sorry for her parents... it sounds like they did everything right and she has nothing against them except for this fomo for a traditional male father figure...

13. Incognito10

Well, some children raised by their two opposite sex parents "hate" their parents and wish for something else as do children hate their step parents and on and on...

I wish my mom was more____
    My dad should have been ____
    I wish I could have been raised by ____

All these statements come from children of opposite sex parents, too. I am sure there are plenty of children in very dysfunctional opposite sex households who would give anything to be raised in a more loving same-sex headed household...

Certain conservative outlets are using this girl as a poster child to say same sex parents "aren't good enough."

#53 Incognito10, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  14. Minnie

"Kids should have both parents therefore gays shouldn't get married."
    Flawed logic: not every couple wants children...

That aside, her point about same-sex vs opposite-sex parenting being different got me thinking. Chances are they are/can be fairly different from a mum-dad environment. I guess same-sex parents need to see if their child wants/needs a missing mother/father-like figure and help them with that. Before questioning my gender I thought that I'd want a close male family member for my future children.

15. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Holy shizballs... That's crazy!

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please tell me this is an article from The Onion, because I don't want to believe a kid raised by gay parents could become a homophobic piece of trash.

17. yoonicorn

Even the best parents are often viewed as flawed in some way by the kids. And, to be fair, some are really not that great.
    If someone tells you the reason why you're unhappy is that your parents got gay married and had a big gay adoption, who will say otherwise?

18. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Taras Bulba mode activated.