1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Daughter of married lesbians against Gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cesar123, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LiquidSwords

If I were to comment it would just be a not as good version of this..

2. 741852963

You are entitled to your opinion on gay parenthood, but what the author of the article was saying was that gay marriage should not be allowed on the grounds of gay parenthood.

I.e. no gay person (even those childless and happy that way) should be allowed to marry purely because in her opinion gay people do not provide complete parenthood.

You must be able to see how ridiculous her argument is. The two points are far-removed. It would be like me saying no heterosexual couple should be allowed to get married because, I don't know, men are more likely to commit murder. Its just silly.

3. LiquidSwords

I suppose if that's an undisputed truth there will be lots of evidence to support it?

Or is it just a baseless opinion pretending to be a fact?

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not arguing your position since you're not against gay marriage, but I'm wondering....shouldn't this logic also be used against single parents or parents wanting to divorce? These children also lack a mother/father figure in their lives and some of them grow up literally damaged, and turn to drugs, etc. Which is why I find it odd that people use this excuse against gay people (Not saying you are, I'm addressing the article) but they don't ever put the blame on divorce or single parents which are equally to blame (perhaps even more so).

I also wonder what these same people would think about a cis gender straight couple that psychologically is like a gay couple. There are people born with penises that act 100% like women and mothers, and some of them still identify as male. It happens; my Dad is more like a Mom to me because he does everything we associate with "Motherhood". Likewise, if It's about reproductive issues, you can have a Mom and a Dad who both have penises (cis/trans couple) and a cis daughter would not have a "mother" figure to go to in this case as we see it either. There are so many variables.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that you need a mother and father figure. But your "mother" figure doesn't have to actually be your Mom.

#24 Fallingdown7, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  5. allnewtome

She didn't seem to be particularly harsh or nasty but I'd echo that shes incredibly naive-her lack of father figures wasn't a result of her mothers orientation it was a result of her father "not being a good guy" in her words. Had her mother stayed closeted and married she would've likely grown up feeling the same about the father figure in her life but would have an unhappy mother to complain about as well.

I've never in my life met anyone who had the picture perfect upbringing because there's really no such thing. Most of us grow up to understand that, it doesn't sound like she has.

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2:

This makes me sad. I want to be a parent someday.

7. WallWeed

Wow. Just, wow.

I realize she wasn't adopted, but hypothetically, let's say two women adopt a child from an orphanage.

Having not had either mother nor father, is that child suddenly deprived that they have TWO loving parents, regardless of their gender? To deny gays family rights is to say that children are better off with neither (or just one) parent because of some lofty, traditional "ideal." Yes, I would agree that children need both male and female role models in their life, but the heart of the problem goes far, far deeper than same-sex partnerships.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is it important? I ask that because I really am curious. Is there literature on the subject and where can I find it?

9. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like if stereotypes weren't pressured so much on both males and females (especially males), the "traditional family" bullshit would have never been a thing. I can't understand why it's necessary to have a male and a female as parents, they're both people just like same-sex parents are. Is it because one is masculine and the other is feminine? Why do you need a father/mother figure in your life when it's no different than having both genders? A woman can provide as much as a father does, just like a man can provide as much as a mother does. It makes no sense to me...

Why the fuck are traditional roles important?

(Sorry for any bad English, by the way.)

10. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's why I think a lot of anti-gay beliefs are based on sexism.

If it were rally true that children need parents of mixed sexes, than mixed sex parents would evidently raise happier, better-adjusted children than same-sex parents. The large body of evidence we have shows that children raised by same-sex parents are better or equal to children raised by mixed-sex parents.

People tend to fall prey to appeals to tradition. It seems as if the rule tradition == good is hardwired into the brains of many people.

#30 BobObob, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  11. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Also, this! I simply cannot agree more. This is definitely true. Who in their right mind thought that it all had to be picture perfect "mother-and-father" just because "traditional roles" seem a lot more "suitable/appropriate"? They are not treated any better than when it's of the same sex. :bang:

#31 Gipsy, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  12. Aldrick

It sounds like her issue should be more directed at her father, who abandoned her, rather than her lesbian mother. But of course...

...and there it is. Brainwashed by Christians to turn against her own mother and family, to blame her mother for a father that abandoned her, and to show support for two men who called children born through IVF "synthetic."

I feel sorry for her mother. I hope she has other children, and can disown this one. Maybe had she grown up in foster care, she would have a different view of gay families, and would have been more thankful for the one that she had.

13. allnewtome

Agreed. I've actually done a lot of reading regarding the correlation of anti-feminime and anti-gay its a pretty eye accurate belief.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are, understandly, afraid of change. I believe that is hard wired into all of us. Uncertainty is something we avoid. If something has worked before, we try to hold onto it.

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being adopted, I can understand and relate to the loss of parental figures in their life... But it sounds like that was just from her experience. I don't agree with her in anything besides feeling the loss of a parent. In MY experience, the loss of my birth parents wasn't bad enough to wish it never happened. Plus, you don't have to have a man and a woman to take on parenthood.

16. Summer Rose

Oh my ass just BLEEDS for her. Having had my parents divorced after my dad became a real douche once he returned from the marines, I too had to live under a constantly changing family, until I was raised by my grandparents. So now I'm doing everything to make the marines pay!...except I'm not, because I don't blame a whole institution for what happened to one person, even if he was my dad.

That aside, why bring this up now? Oh right, because it's only an issue you can draw attention from at this moment. And you "turned" to christ at the same time you learned this "truth"? hmm...hate to bring up the stereotype, but it sounds like someone has had a good old brainwashing, probably from an old washboard.

For the record, never read the comments on the420blazeit.com, it's the same site that "end-times profit" Glenn Beck draws his power from.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I comment her mother for sticking with her, if I had a kid who said she or he wished they had had a mother after growing up with me and (hopefully) my future partner, I would still stick by them. But I would definitely be hurt. And in a way I feel like she's being awful cause she's saying "thanks Mom but why couldn't you have just stayed unhappy with Dad so I had one." Even though she also admits that he wasn't a great guy. It's like really? You would've rather had a dad than two women who loved you dearly?

18. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except I wouldn't say that sexism has worked. If anything, we got by as a species in spite of sexism, not because of it.

19. Quiet Raven

True, but most people who are sexist don't realize they are sexist. And people who are against gay marriage don't think it is sexism.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm very skeptical about hetero marriages, and I come from a hetero marriage, so what's the problem? To each it's own...

Do I like it? Would she like me? It's a purely personal choice, so let her be, and let me be...

I'm not as loud as her, but I'm as "guilty" as her. Intolerance is intolerance.