Pretty terrified!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by sighnomore, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sighnomore

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there, I'm a 33 year old woman who has been bisexual all my life (I had crushes on girls in my class going back to age 5 in kindergarten). I grew up in a very oppressive religious environment and even once I got out of it, I continued the patterns of what I was 'supposed' to do (dating only men). I tried to come out and went on a few dates with women about 8 years ago, but I was pretty fiercely criticized by the lesbian community that my friends were a part of. I had a lot of nasty things said to me about bisexuals and it cowed me to the point that I went back in the closet totally. Now after realizing I am still very unhappy at age 33, and seeing how society has become so much more open just in the last few years, I am encouraged to try again. Unfortunately I live in a conservative Texas town and it seems like the gay scene revolves mostly around bars. I am a non drinker and a geeky introvert type so this is really hard for me!! I feel like I need to talk to others about what I am going through and maybe get some dating advice since it seems like every woman i am interested in turns out to be straight (I have heard this is a common problem). Anyway I am so relieved to have found this forum and i will be really interested to get to know you all.

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. copernicus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always thought certain men were attractive. I finally acted on it. It felt so natural I am not uncomfortable of the idea of being with a man. I'm gonna wait till I'm in a serious relationship. But you get older and you know who you are. More power to you girl.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2015 at 10:28 PM ----------

I'm 30 BTW. Just got on site. Awesome right.

4. CrazyAwkward

Hello and welcome :smilewave

5. copernicus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How do we get this chocolate...lol.

6. Happenstance

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi!
    I also grew up in a very strict conservative religious environment and I'm also geeky/nerdy and extremely introverted. I don't have any dating advice since I'm married, with kids - didn't discover myself until I was 27, unfortunately. But I hope you figure it out!
    I only just started coming out to some of my friends this last Summer. Almost everyone has been very accepting, but whereas I'm becoming much more comfortable, I still feel quite unsure of myself.
    Really glad to find this website!

7. Eilin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Welcome! You're definitely not alone in this situation. Luckily things aren't as conservative here, but as a fellow geeky introvert I understand your worries about dating.
    Luckily there are places like this forum :slight_smile: