1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really confused about my gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowRobot, Mar 16, 2015.

1. RainbowRobot

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well let my start off by giving some basic information about myself. I'm currently 22 years old and I live in a very small southern town. For the past 2-3 years I've been questioning my gender and I was wondering if anyone might know what this sounds like or have some advice. Sorry in advance for the super long post but I feel like I need to be thorough.

When I was little I always played with the more stereotypical little boy toys. I had hot wheels and legos and played in the dirt. The only really girly toys I played with were my ponies because I loved horses. When everyone would play house I always wanted to be the dog instead of the mom or dad. I remember my mom telling me about how I hated dresses and refused to wear them.

During school I had almost exclusively male friends. I've never really fit in with women and I get really uncomfortable when they used to separate everyone by sex. I never wanted to be with the girls. I didn't understand girls and we never seemed to have anything in common. I was far more comfortable with the boys but even then I kind of felt like an outsider. Part of this may be due to my extreme shyness.

When puberty started was when I started to get more uncomfortable. I was so afraid of it that when in school they were showing those videos about female puberty to all the girls I actually convinced my parents to make the school let me opt out of watching them. Everyone was telling my to be excited about getting my period because it meant I was becoming a woman but every time they said that I just got upset and scared. I also became hypercritical of my chest.

During middle school I started to feel a lot of pressure to fit in and be more like all the other girls so I started to go through phases of trying to look more girly and wear make up. Eventually I would stop because it all felt so fake and then start up again because of peer pressure. At the same time this was when I first began to question my gender. I often said that I wish I had been born a boy. One very vivid memory I have is of being in the grocery store with my mom. I was wearing a big pull over hoodie and some men’s jeans and I remember thinking about how good it would be if someone were to mistake me for a guy. Then I instantly got scared that I might be trans and told myself that I couldn’t be because I didn’t want to be a guy all the time. This was also the first time I wanted my breasts to just disappear. I tried not to think about it afterwards.

During high school I continued to have these phases of trying to be more feminine to be more attractive to men and to fit in better. The only girl clothes I actually liked were very costumey. I liked Gothic Lolita style and renaissance fair type dresses so I sewed my own clothes frequently. I never fit in any better because I just didn’t share any of the same concerns or interests as the girls around me and so my group of close friends was always entirely geeky dudes.

Right after I graduated from high school I was in a polyamorous relationship with my two best friends. One of them came out to me as a transgender woman and because I wanted to support her the best I could I started to do research. It was then that I first came across non binary gender identities. That really interested me and I kind of let it stew in the back of my mind for a few months. Then I had a fight with my family about my girlfriend and went to stay at my boyfriend’s house for a week. One day that week I was feeling really bad and I wanted to cheer myself up so I said that we should go to the movies out of town to the big theater. I got the overwhelming urge to dress masculine and even went out and bought a sports bra to bind. I borrowed my boyfriend’ clothes and off we went to the movies. And it felt great!

Not to long after that I bought a binder and bound on and off for about a year before going full time. I also cut my hair into a faux hawk. The problem is that I’m not entirely sure how I feel. I know I don’t feel like I’m a girl but I’m not sure what I am. I’m constantly second guessing myself and my feelings. For a while I thought I might be FTM because I’m more okay with male pronouns than I am with female ones and I present more masculine. Most of the time I feel more masculine too. But I’m not always comfortable being seen as a man. I want to get top surgery but I don’t know if I have bad enough dysphoria that I need it. I’m conflicted because most of the time I don’t like my chest but sometimes while I’m being intimate with my boyfriend I like it touched. I also don’t really have bottom dysphoria. A lot of the time I wish I could just be a person instead of a man or woman.

All of these thoughts have been kicked into overdrive because I came out to my parents and they didn’t take it well. I had to move in with my boyfriend and its left me wondering and doubting my own feelings. I even went so far as to buy a regular bra and try it on (I got rid of all my old girl clothes last year because I wasn’t wearing them). The bra felt really weird and uncomfortable and I didn’t like the way I looked with boobs at all. However, every once in a while I get the urge to buy a long wig (preferably pink) and get dressed up like I did in high school. It really confuses me. IDK maybe I just like to cross dress sometimes?

2. wanderinggirl

I'm currently exploring nonbinary identities as well; one thing I keep getting hung up on is how many people think they're genderqueer/nonbinary and then move into ftm identity; kindof like how some people think they're bi and then move into gay identity. But for many people, ftm (or going back to f) is not their endpoint; being agender/queergender/nonbinary/demi/whatever is their endpoint. So i don't know if maybe you're feeling pressure from within the queer community to commit to ftm? It's okay if you're not a guy; just be yourself and follow your instincts.

One thing I am working on (and have been since coming out as queer) is not putting a label on everything; start with the assumption that it doesn't really matter what gender you are. Going without a label might be a temporary state until you get settled on an identity, or maybe you will find that you don't identify with labels at all. Hope this helps.

3. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I agree with you.
    I defined myself as a transman three months ago. Afterwards, I found out I was feeling pressure from the queer community to fit into the binary sistem. That was the reason why I defined myself as FtM.
    But it wasn't my true identity.
    Now, I feel free because I realised there's nothing wrong to be non-binary or genderqueer.

4. RainbowRobot

Out Status:
    Some people
    After a few more days of soul searching I had an epiphany. I googled demiguy on a whim for the first time and it just hit me with such clarity that this is what I am. I'm so happy right now!