1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Yosia

I personally will never smoke, and I don't like it at all. However I will not ever discriminate against someone just because they smoke, and I could easily date a smoker, just as long as they smoked outside or something.

2. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do smoke but not as much as I used to, I know it leaves a smell on your breath and cloths. nothing worse than the smell of stale smoke on someone else either

3. LaEsmeralda

I love smoking when I'm having a drink, but I don't do it any other time. I'm trying to drink less ergo smoke less. Plus the smell the cigarettes leaves on your fingers is so bogging I could nearly puke thinking about it :eek:

4. Jellal

I can't stand it in real life, no matter how cool I think it is when a character smokes in a movie. Hanging around smokers is obnoxious to me, because I start coughing and hacking.

5. GayJay

I quit mid January after nine years of smoking.
    I didn't think it would bother me because I've always been around smoke. All of my family smoke, my girlfriend does and the vast majority of my friends do.

So for the reason of growing up where my.parents smoked in the same room as me, then moved out and smoked in all of my flats I really thought it wouldnt bother me. But the smell is vile, and the constant taste when you kiss someone who smokes. Ew!
    So I'm gaining a slight passion for the hatred of the smell.

However the visual side of it, for one looks nice and makes me crave it and for two I just find girls who smoke pretty fricking hot for some reason.

Of course it's peoples personal preference, but I defiantly don't wanna be around it

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

To me It's a turn-off and if I found out my partner smokes, the relationship would be over. Plus, second-hand smoke is bad for my asthma.

However, I will respect smokers as people and tolerate their decision.

7. Willard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never smoked in my life, and I will never start smoking. This doesn't have anything to do with long term health issues you can develop from smoking, the actual reasons I don't smoke are:

1. I have asthma. Which doesn't affect me much, except when I have to perform physically for more than a few minutes. Smoking would probably make my lungs perform even worse.

2. As smoking is rather expensive, I am glad I can use that money for something else. A friend of me bought about three packs a week for the last six months. That means he spent almost € 500,- just on cigarettes. I know enough ways to spend that kind of money on something much more useful, fun and/or interesting.

Apart from that I don't mind if anyone else smokes, as long as I don't have to inhale their smoke. So if you just smoke in the designated places (not for example at the entrance of a building) you are alright with me.

And you are actually doing me a favor, as your expensive cigarettes cover a rather large share of the taxes. In the Netherlands that is about 1.5% of the total tax income, I don't think there is any kind of product (except fuel) that gives a higher tax revenue than tobacco.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bless you, kid (*hug*)

9. DMark69

I have never smoked, and I find smoking to be a turn off. I don't like the smell it leaves on clothes, and I don't like kissing ashtrays.

This actually goes for all smoking weather it be cigarettes, cigars, pipes, tobacco, marijuana, or any other drug that is smoked.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of my friends smoke - not an issue for me. I actually like the smell. I have the odd cheeky cig when I'm drunk but that's all. I've actually been really tempted to take up the habit but I don't want to start now. Pretty much everyone I know who smokes started when they were about 14 or 15 (age restrictions are really useless).

11. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hate the stuff. I tried it once when I was little and mom left her lit cigarette unattended and I took a deep puff. I hacked and coughed for about ten minutes and thought to myself how a person could do this to themselves. Cured me of the desire to smoke since.

12. White Knight

People smoke. It doesn't make me view those people under negative light.

I used to smoke as well till last year. That would make me a hypocrite if I start to point fingers to them.

It won't effect my relationships with those people in slightest as well. I can do anything with them.

13. the haunted

I never started smoking cigarettes, but I am a daily marijuana smoker. I love weed. I feel like I see the world in a different light when I'm high. I'm happy when I'm not high, but it's still fun to feel good while also feeling more creative and more focused.

As far as relationships go, I would prefer a girlfriend who didn't smoke cigarettes, but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. The girl I like right now smokes cigarettes and doesn't have any desire to quit. I actually admire her resistance to quit. Something about that is just really sexy to me.

I would prefer to have a girlfriend who smokes weed. We could get high and cuddle all day. :love:

14. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll admit, it's a turn-off for me as well. I don't especially like being around people while they're smoking, and I don't understand the attraction to it. But again, it's their choice and I could still be friends with them even though I'm not likely to date a smoker. Someone's decision to smoke should be respected- they should be aware of the risks and even discouraged, but if after that they want to smoke let them smoke. So I support anti-smoking information campaigns, plain packaging, tighter control of age restrictions, etc. but I wouldn't go as far as banning it from public places and definitely not preventing people from smoking.

15. Joelouis

Everyone in my family smoke & drink except myself and my sister.
    I've never been interested or tempted by either.

16. Canarius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I used to smoke because I thought it helped me feel better (and honestly? I thought I looked kinda cool). I realized it was slowly killing me and stopped. My lungs have never been happier. It's amazing, being able to run and enjoy sports, something I was never able to do while smoking. I don't really care if somebody else smokes. Sometimes I try to help them, encouraging them to quit, etc. but most don't care to quit. They just want their nicotine. My ex smoked, and had been smoking since has was 14. Whenever he smoked a cigarette, I couldn't help but be thankful that we were long distance and I never got the opportunity to kiss him. We dated off and on for three years and never met, but you could see the damage the smoking had done to his death and how his fingers were yellow despite his best efforts to wash them.

Anyways, so long as an adult smoker respects those around them, it's their choice. I draw the line when it starts to hurt others, such as those with allergies, etc.

17. Lyana

My father smokes. Ever since I was old enough to understand what that meant, I hated it. I used to hide his cigarette packets because I didn't want him ruining his health. I've outgrown that, now. It's his choice. I feel like that about smokers in general -- basically, that I shouldn't judge.

I'll try anything once, and I have had a few cigarettes, carefully spaced apart. One gives me a pleasant buzz and dizziness, like drinking a couple beers. I can see the appeal of the first few cigarettes.

I do hate walking behind someone who's smoking (I feel like this happens all the time), or standing next to someone who's blowing smoke in your face, but the smell that clings to clothes doesn't bother me that much and I wouldn't not date or be friends with someone because they smoke.

18. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very anti-smoking. I have seen the destructive effects of smoking too many times.

19. Vinyl

I don't smoke, and never intend to start, but I have no problem with it being around me. Quite a few of my friends smoke regularly, along with family members, and while I do wish they wouldn't do it so often (for the sake of their health), I know it's their own decision. My girlfriend also smokes on occasion, but only a few times a year, when it's offered to her by certain friends. I have stronger feelings about it with her, but it's still her body, and since it's not everyday, I can't really complain~

20. TwoWays

I cough loudly around smokers...