1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Important is Experience in a Relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

To me it doesn't matter too much because it just depends on the person and the situation.

I'm inexperienced with everything (sex, kissing, etc. I've long-distance dated but that's it)

So an inexperienced person would be great because we'd be on the same page. There would not be any pressure or anyone else to compare to. Even in sex it would be a good thing since we could just focus on the emotions and not the pleasure (the latter I don't even want to focus on too much my first time) and learn together. I'd be too intimidated by someone too experienced because I wouldn't want to let them down and I care more about the values of how the first time feels to us mentally and not physically. I fear they would not be on the same page.

But people with experience are also great because they can help you learn with them and teach you the ropes. In some ways I also really prefer the experience because I -do- have something to compare to when it comes to how they feel about sex already. In that extent it feels safer to see what someone's experiences are, while if It's someone else's first time, what they think they feel could be wrong and a huge let down.

It's hard to say.

2. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    dont think its an issue as in the beginning people are learning together what we like what we hate I think its important that people learn together .

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of zero importance. It's not the experience that matters, it's the person itself. =)

4. LaEsmeralda

Experience with what exactly?

If you mean sexual experience, then no, don't care.

If you mean experience of being in a relationship then yeah, that's important. I was naive and allowed myself to be bossed around by my first boyfriend, which then affected my confidence in my second relationship. Now that I've grown from these experiences, I would be able to assert myself more and establish better boundaries with any future partners.

5. GayJay

I don't think.your experience itself matters, but of you plan on being in any way intimate with someone I think you should be on the same experience level.

I wwouldn't have said this a few months back, suppose I had never encountered it before.
    Im 19 and pretty experienced with both relationships and sex, I really liked a girl in the year below.
    We started hanging out and when it came to the first kiss I knew she was very inexperienced. I couldn't carry on seeing her, it was too weird. I felt like she was too innocent and should get the experience at her own pace, not at mine.
    Of course I could have waited for her and stuff but I'm at the point were I got kinda used to daily sex and have lived with ex partners. Sex is to big a role in a relationship, I don't even know how to have one without it really.

I couldn't pressure someone into getting up to my speed so yeah I think you need to be on the same experience level. So we broke up.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not say experience would be important to me if I had to date again. I would however say that comfort would be important--like the really down to the bones comfort that generally only comes with "experience." I guess I'm just too old to reinvent the wheel with respect to that sort of thing--trying to be in a relationship with someone who wasn't completely and totally comfortable with themselves and their sexuality just sounds sort of exhausting to me at this point...

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

My boyfriend (17) and I have vastly different life experience.

When it comes to being romantic, and emotional, I have way more experience (30 years.) When it comes to sex with a guy, we are both close to the same page. We've been with about the same number of guys, he's gone farther with his 3 other guys, but not relationship wise. We are each, each others first guy that we've seen and had sex with more than once.

I think it's so cute, he doesn't know how to kiss at all, which is also a little sad to me. From what he tells me, his "dating" experiences, besides me, have been hug, hug, bam!... Really just hookups. He's had anal sex now (which I've never done with anyone, YET,) but thinks kissing is so much more intimate.

I am trying to be mature about not getting jealous if he goes out with anyone else. That hasn't happened yet since we made it "official" that we are "non-exclusive boyfriends." And it was so adorable, he was nervous about asking me, if it would be alright for him to ask a boy his age to the prom. He is asking today, and I'm so excited for him. If his cute boy says yes, they'll be the first openly gay couple to go to the Jr Prom as an open couple. I told him, next year if he REALLY wanted to break some barriers to invite me...

I look forward to teaching him more about relationships, and learning more about sex with him. I hope the friendship we are building in this relationship will be lasting.

8. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Considering I've only ever been on two dates my whole life and all that happened was a guy held my hand, I think I would be very intimidated by someone who has much more experience than me. I agree with C P that it would kinda helpful to be with someone who has experience because there is a potential to learn and that it would also be nice to be with someone like myself who has no experience at all.

9. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't matter to me. I would prefer someone around my own age without any experience at all, just like I probably will. That way we can figure stuff out together. If they do have experience that works too.

10. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to prefer people who were on the same experience level as me, but my current boyfriend was less sexually experienced when I started dating him, and I have quite enjoyed teaching him and found pleasure in that. I guess it all depends