1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Utah governor signs LGBT anti-discrimination bill, includes some religious exemptions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by resu, Mar 14, 2015.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just looking online, this has upset religious hardliners, but I think it's a good step that there are at least some protections for sexual orientation and gender identity. I wish there weren't religious loopholes.

Utah's Governor Signs LGBT Anti-Discrimination Bill : NPR

2. CyclingFan

Re: Utah governor signs LGBT anti-discrimination bill, includes some religious exempt

So can I be fired by someone who says "I fired that queer cause my religion told me to and you can't fire me for that"?

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: Utah governor signs LGBT anti-discrimination bill, includes some religious exempt

Well they can't fire you for being queer, that's kind of the whole point of the bill(well unless you work at a church or something like that)

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes. It's better than my own state of Oklahoma. Apparently one proposed bill, which didn't get very far, was going to support conversion therapy...

5. Aldrick

I'm not sure how I feel about this, due to the "religious exemptions" as I know the religious right can drive a mac truck through the tiniest of loopholes.

Would it still be possible to fire anti-gay bigots for creating a hostile work environment against LGBT people? Are there any hidden poison pills in the bill that will fuck us over and empower the religious?

6. ChameleonSoul

I know that there's still religious exemptions but I still have to say "HOLY SHIT!". I never thought I'd see that coming anytime soon.

Gotta say it's pretty bad when Utah of all places passed a law that surpasses LGBT rights in many "liberal" states.

7. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

We're on a roll.
    The GLBT community, that is.
    This is the bigots last attempt to have it their way i.e. get something out of this gays taking over America thing.
    In court, and once challenged, all of this anti gay legislation will be shot down.
    They tried this same crap with blacks, they still do.
    But the law is on our side, not theirs.
    Once SS marriage is legal nation wide come this June, we will see rapid movement on getting LGBT people full protections.
    Sadly, not thru legislation as should be the case, but thru the courts and our legal system.
    The tide is too strong, and unstoppable.
    I suspect that is why they keep taking these petty little shots at LGBT people while they still think they can.
    They have already lost, and they know that. They are simply in denial.
    The courts will kick their fannies with a good dose of old fashion reality soon enough.

Actually, their actions harm religion and more so organized religion to the point of beyond repair.
    If they had the sense of a common house fly, they know passing this type of legislation with religion as the core basis does nothing but alienate the very base they are trying to protect.
    This type of legislation turns people off.
    And it harms religion in itself.
    Every year organized religion is on the decline.
    If the elected officials want to kill off entirely participation in organized religion, just keep this type of bigotry and religious hypocrisy up thru legislation.
    And in the end, they have only themselves to blame as the participation in organized religion drops and drops and drops.

I don't know if they are actually that stupid, or addressing this with some sort of twisted greed, or if they actual believe they can have it both ways?
    I.e. passing religious exemptions targeted at a segment of society, then actually believing such actions help the foundation of religion itself.
    Such idiocracy.

#7 Randall D, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015