1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Replubican Senator rides on school bill with transgender restroom + religious freedom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Mar 12, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

Kentucky transgender bathroom bill resurfaces with amendments
    So, please explain this for me, since I am not American and I totally can't understand this process: Did this senator just picked a random bill that is having a lot of support from the House, then tackle on some extra words on it so that it serves his purpose, in hope of it getting passed?
    Because that is like a double middle finger to democracy for me.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Re: Replubican Senator rides on school bill with transgender restroom + religious fre

America crams multiple things into single bills, because it saves them time. If every individual idea and possibility were focused on, we'd be so backtracked, and it would just be worse than it is.

Many of the people who vote on these bills, often times don't read them fully, if at all, and are sold by a few swaying arguments. This has always been a problem in the United States, especially in the past twenty years or so. Slick politicians slide in things, hoping folks won't catch them, because many of the laws and regulations we do have, would not have likely passed, without being "hidden".

When you hear people talk about a proposition or a bill's main idea, you rarely hear them address the fine print. That bill that legalizes gay marriage, might also raise your taxes. That bill that, on the surface, sounds like it's for helping students pay back education loans, might also increase the military budget. And so on and so forth.

It's a terribly manipulative system.

That's the most condensed way to explain it.

#2 Kaiser, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Tardis2020

Re: Replubican Senator rides on school bill with transgender restroom + religious fre

It also helps parties get whatever they want. Let's say party 1 wants a tax raise, and party 2 wants to sanction another country. That sanction is a huge issue for party 2, they want it passed. Party 1 says they'll only allow it if they accept the revised version of the act. That revised version has party 1's tax raise. Party 2 will pass it because they want the sanction more than they care about the tax raise.
    Add some lobbying, a little campaigning, and you have the American Congress, now rinse and repeat, but with standstills on key issues.

"double middlefinger" yeah that's an accurate description.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I just saw this petition on the federal government website about the bathroom bills. I figured it would be worth posting here since this topic is about the bathroom bills.

5. CyberStar

Goddam it, why can't people just let us live?!?

6. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I wonder why too...

7. Ab4t5

Kasier mentioned that some people cram in unrelated things in a bill, I remember a farm bill that addressed something like school funding in one draft. The draft was so many pages long that people kept skipping over the clause and just agreeing to it without fully reading it.