1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

non binary thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomly me, Mar 11, 2015.

1. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^Right. This is why I use it. People use it all the time when they don't know a person's gender. Example:
    "Sam went to the shop."
    "What did they buy?"

As for me, my gender is changeable, and so it's always true for everybody else, that they don't know my gender at any given point in time. It's schroedinger's gender. So "they" is simply the correct word to use.

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Another question i was interested in: do you want surgery or hormones?

3. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I'd like to have a reduction of my breast or top surgery. I don't know which to choose at the moment. Without testosterone.

4. C P

C P

Was this a general question?

5. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Yup!question for everyone that has any thoughts about the topic

6. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A solid no for me! I'm happy with my body, it's mine and I don't want to permamently change it. I just make cosmetic changes to express myself more feminine/androgynously, like keeping my body hair shaven.

7. Beware the Ides

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As far as pronouns go, "They" makes me really uncomfortable when it applies to me, although I try really hard to respect other people and use it if it's preferred. When it comes to me, though, 'they' always feels distancing and othering. I often feel either male, female, or both, so most of the time both 'he' and 'she' are accurate to one extent or another. And when they're not, I still find I'd rather encounter the pronoun of a gender I'm not really feeling at the moment than one that feels so impersonal.

I actually find it kind of tricky when interacting with other people. I was raised on the "do unto others" mentality, so I sometimes have a hard time referring to other people with a pronoun that I find alienating - but, it's more important to respect what makes other people comfortable than to avoid a word just because I don't really like it.

8. C P

C P

Felt it was time to revive this...

Earlier I pretty much got even more confirmation about my identity...I was talking with someone elsewhere online about that crush I've mentioned and the feelings with it and...he said I was gaining a different perspective - a gay "male's" perspective as opposed to a straight "male's" perspective growing up.

The fact that he referred me to as 'male'...let's just say it caused me to feel all kinds of awkward. .-.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :smilewave Another non-binary here. I prefer they/them pronouns, people use them all the time to refer to people of unknown or unspecified gender, so I'm not bothered.

To clarify, I suppose I'm quite masculine, it feels pretty cool when people think I'm a boy, and on the inside, I pretty much am male. However I want to keep a female body, that's how I'm happy. For me, my female body and my male "soul" (so to speak) get on quite well.

10. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel similarly. :slight_smile: It's like, if I had a magic potion to turn my body into any sex, and not have my life change in any other way, I would become female. But I feel like making my body female would simply create a different set of expectations for me. I am perfectly content to keep my current body and simply do what I want, regardless of expectations.

11. Hi! Genderqueer/genderfluid/genderflux/non-binary/not-really-satisfied-with-any-one-descriptor here!
    I don't really have a situation in my life where I'm out enough for people to call me anything other than "she" so I don't really know how it feels to use other pronouns, but if that situation did exist, I would use they/them. It's not grammatically incorrect, as so many people think, plus it's used all the time already, as a few others have said. And I personally think it's easier since they aren't "new" words like ze/hir, etc.

I have no desire for surgery or hormones, though I wouldn't mind getting rid of a certain estrogen/progesterone-related bodily function. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've tried binding a little, but it makes me claustrophobic and panicky unfortunately (binding+asthma+anxiety disorder is probably a bad combination anyway)

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh hey, look! A thread with my name written all over it.

Mind if I

*lays down on couch*

get a bit comfy here? I think I'm gonna be posting in here quite a bit, so get used to seeing this avatar and this signature, because there's some things I've wanted to say that I don't think I've thought of doing before, but I may end up using this thread as a kind of blog.

13. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I identify as a genderfluid demigirl, but most people see me as female and I'm pretty okay with that

14. ApexxShadow

Hello nonbinary friends :slight_smile:.

15. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Andro

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a genderfluid androgyne. Definitely leaning towards the feminine side of the spectrum. I'm okay with most of my body, but my (male) bottom really messes with me. Currently looking into getting surgery, but only just started the process, so I have no idea what to expect yet. I'm personally very anxious about being accepted, I don't think many would understand the non-binary wish for bottom surgery.

This thread is really awesome, though. Hello other non-binaries!

17. C P

C P

I know it'll likely take a bazillion years for people to even gain awareness of nb identities, but in the meantime...

Being directly labeled as a binary(male/female) can really shoot up the awkwardness levels. Pronouns aren't too bad for now, but being directly identified as one...*shivers*

It's like you hear "you've grown up to be a nice young *fill in 'man' or 'woman'*" and just wanting to say 'and exactly who are you talking to?!'...

18. Stacy in MA

Hello everyone!

I still don't know exactly what to call myself (transfeminine and a bit genderfluid are the best I can do at the moment), but my body is male, my gender is skewed heavily female, and the extent to which I feel like/identify as a woman does shift slightly over longish periods of time. I am definitely not a man, but feel like even if I awoke tomorrow with a completely female body I still wouldn't be 100% woman.

I am generally comfortable with pronouns that match how I happen to be presenting that day, although I never mind being addressed in a more feminine way, and cringe inwardly whenever I am referred to as a man.

Because of my situation, surgery and hormones are not an option, but if they were, I would say no to surgery, but would consider low level hormones.

19. ponder

hi folks :smilewave

I am slowly starting to unravel myself in new ways... this started at work, oddly (and lovely) enough. A coworker identifies as Two-Spirit and uses they/them/theirs pronouns, and, as I have just moved to a new city a few months ago, I've discovered a fairly open and progressive trans*/queer community here. I'm curious as to the communities that you folks live in, if you feel safe, are able to be open/explorative/accepted, and all around what your experiences are like. I live in Victoria, BC, Canada.

I was AFAB, never questioned this until recently. I changed my name to a more gender-neutral name, and my deep gender-questioning has come now, after that.

I identify as Genderqueer, and possibly demi-boy (although I'm still not totally certain...).

I appreciate they/them/their pronouns! I'm so open to learning about different pronouns too, though, and trying them on...

Also have been seriously considering starting the process of getting top surgery, so that my chest has more of a male-appearance. I am fine with my female-downstairs and the rest of my being, at this point in time. *I don't intend on starting Testosterone.

#39 ponder, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  20. C P

C P

Seems like there are hardly any other Agender folk here...

Like the only others you see on occasion pop by to say one thing after months, before sinking back into the abyss. Don't seem to hang around much otherwise. O:

I, too, have been looking into the other pronouns. Hmm...

#40 C P, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015