1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you realise you were trans*?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Zelos, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, just 'cause you didn't feel like anything was wrong in childhood, doesn't mean you are not trans.

I personally have never felt upset about my body during my childhood. When I saw my body, my mind processed it as male. I even thought my parents were lying to me about my gender, and when I found out I actually didn't have a dick, I still thought I was a cis male.

That's the weirdest and most hardcore denial I have ever experienced. Even today I feel similarly, but I'm not complaining. It helps a lot with my dysphoria. Haha.

Having that said, I realized I was a trans guy when I was fourteen. I've always felt this way, but it was only last year that I actually found and accepted the label.

Like the others said, it really is different for everyone. It just depends on how you feel. If you feel like a woman, you're a woman. If you feel like a man, you're a man. If you don't feel like either, you are neither. And so on.

2. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose there was always signs, but it wasn't until I became involved in the LGBT+ community that I began questioning. I was about 13 at the time. I guess when I saw people talking about not identifying with the gender they were assigned at birth, something clicked.

3. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I think it was always sorta in the back of my mind but I never understood it or wanted to come to terms with it... I think... I sorta knew I was trans when I was in high school but like, I wasn't satisfied with the idea of surgery... I used to obsess over ways to completely alter my genetic code or somehow turn back the clock and start over as a girl... When I was a child I just sorta felt like I hated being a boy, I liked girls a lot more and wanted to be around them... Girls were nicer for one thing... I remember back then , most of my favorite characters on tv were girls, Batgirl was my favorite super hero and Trini the original Yellow ranger was my favorite power ranger! I think the concept of switching genders was first introduced to me innocently enough by an old sorta joke in my family I guess that if you can kiss your elbows you'd change to the opposite sex! It's sorta cute remembering how hard I tried to pull it off just to see if it was true.... I was a gullible kid... xD

Then I saw... Ranma 1/2 my mind was blown, I wanted that! The power Ranma had to change into a girl! That was such a cool idea to me, I would sit in bed at night and just imagine my body as female, I think I started to see it as some kind of... Cure all for my problems too... I first watched it when I was ten so the fantasy of becoming a girl magically loomed over my head throughout middle school... It wasn't till high school when I really started to become obsessed with the idea though... It was just something I wanted so badly and I didn't really know why or what to really do about it... Honestly though at the time, I never saw it happening and I just tried to be okay with being male... It's funny how age makes repressed feelings hurt worse and worse... When I was 20 I had the most wonderful dream about girl me, I was just... Me, at last, I walked down the stairs to meet my parents as their daughter for the first time and when I woke up I was crying... That dream settled it for me , I had to make a change, I couldn't let go of the me I wanted to be... I had to make a change and try to take steps towards my transition at last.... Five years later... I've made a lot of progress now compared to before and it feels amazing I can see the real me more and more all the time! (I hope some part of that made sense o.o)

#23 Nekoko, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. Queero

There were things my whole life that looking back I think "Wow. How did I not realize sooner?" I'm fine with it now, but it's just a little funny to me, some of the things.

I admitted to myself and a friend that I wasn't a girl in August 2013.

I fully came out to myself and two friends that I was a trans gay guy only in the last year.

I had a moment where I realized that straight girls don't wish they were part of a gay couple.

But overall, for me, it was a process.

5. Lazuri

A transigator.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't have to know from early childhood (although that makes me doubt myself a lot, as I didn't start questioning until last year). Most trans people in the news end up knowing "since they were 2" but in reality, people can know at any age. I wish they would stop interviewing only kids who knew at a young age because it sends a false message: that only kids who knew at a young age are trans. There were very faint signs of me being trans when I was younger but nothing that stood out from anyone from here on EC. For example, I didn't hang out with the boys, didn't feel some body part missing, or always take the boy role in games (which could possibly have been influenced by me being predominantly gay). However, I did hate wearing girly clothing, didn't enjoy Barbies with my friend, was competitive, and always felt out of place.

7. Zelos

Thank you so much to all you for answering! :slight_smile:

8. unholyzebra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    2 hours ago lol

9. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always known that something was wrong with my gender, but I figured it out just a couple of months ago. I think I would have known earlier if I knew that not everybody fits the steriotypical trans narrative.

10. Jellal

There were a couple moments when I was a kid that I felt more at home thinking of myself as "girl" rather than "boy," but it wasn't deep or consistent enough to make me one of those "early onset" types, I don't think. I really only started developing those feelings kind of along the lines of what Kaiser was talking about throughout my teens, particularly once I reached high school and started college. It just got stronger with every year, and then a few weeks before my 21st birthday when I sat down and tried to write out my feelings to myself for the first time, I pretty much instantly hit on the idea that I was much more of a girl than a boy. It just felt better, felt more right. Honestly the only difficulty I had in reconciling that idea with the reality of my life was how the people around me would react to it. I had been pretty eager to swap bodies with the females I met for a few years, so figuring out that "transgender" was the word for my feeling was a cinch as soon as I took the opportunity to be honest with myself rather than dodging the issue and simply telling myself not to think about it.

11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you raise a pretty good point... I think it is fair to say that a lot of the "signs" we look for in our early ages are things we did that were outside of expected "gender norms" which to be completely fair no kid really strictly keeps to gender norms for any reason beyond trying to fit in. For us though, those moments are like beacons of hope for validation, things we can point to for the people that knew us and go "See?! See?! This has always been a thing!" But honestly transgenderism isn't about gender norms... It's about that feeling you get that your body isn't right, that you aren't in the right body to begin with, you can't really explain it, you just know it... Just my thoughts though... (*hug*) :kiss: