1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of non binary genders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Mar 11, 2015.

1. C P

C P

This, so much.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just noticed the 2nd part to this, which I guess I should address.

I've never gotten the whole idea behind binary genders. I mean yeah, I know why you put your sex down when you're at the doctor's. But most of the stuff, especially "Battle of the sexes" kind of stuff really confuses me.

For instance, many of the things we attribute to girls now were boy things not even a century ago. It wasn't until WWII that pink was determined a girl color, and boys wore dresses in the early 1900s. There was a time in France where everybody wore these dress-like things. I don't even think there was such a divide in ancient days other than "Man is owner of family and woman becomes wife and leaves her own family". History has changed what is viewed as masculine and feminine, has switched them, has given them different things, to the point of what we know today to be moot. With the slow-but-quickening acceptance of transpeople and how gender is expressed, I'm guessing I'll be able to wear a dress or skirt in public within the next 10-20 years.

Scientifically, there is a difference. But we don't know much about it, nor do we know very much about why non-binary people are non-binary. I'd like to say it's that nobody in science is interested and therefore no research is being done, but I'm sure it's more to do with that nobody seems to be willing to fund it, and I'm very sure it's because of a social stigma.

3. O.Snap!

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't understand any of it and I can't seem to get a straight answer when I ask. (No pun intended). All I get as an answer is "Don't worry about labels" "We need to do away with labels" "Why label people?" etc. To me, it's not about labeling in the negative sense. It's about trying to understand the definition because I would think that everyone wants to feel like they belong somewhere. I would like to know --- in straight-forward talk --- what is a definition of "pansexual," "genderfluid" "transgender," "transsexual" and everything in between. If anyone does dare to attempt to answer that question, the people who do, contradict one another, so then one person defines "pan," like 'this' and another person defines "pan" like 'that' and I throw my hands up in the air and give up in a "I think you're making that up as you go" kind of way. Don't try to be 'artsy.' Don't try to exude some kind of nuance. Just give it to me straight. (Again, no pun intended).

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Because it seems like you're asking, I'll give you my definition.

First and foremost, we're going out of a society that says that your gender is what is between your legs. What is between your legs is what defines your sex.

So then what about gender? If it's not what's between your legs, and there is something to it, what is it?

Most people who understands this kind of thing would give you a spectrum to imagine, that is similar to this (without the "me" part. That was included because I originally used it in a thread that asked where I say I lie in the spectrum):
    [​IMG]

Your answer to "what is a non-binary gender?" is simply anything that doesn't lie exclusively at the male and female ends.

Personally, I would say the best way to describe gender would be like planets in the universe. You can go from one to the other, you can go into an orbit, you can be in between two genders, you can roam about space and jump from gender to gender, you can be on one your entire life. Imagine any scenario, and I can guarantee that somebody has or is doing that.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have anything against binary people. I'm just glad that they're at peace with themselves when it comes to their gender.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I found this funny :roflmao:
    Shows I know you well that I didn't take it seriously and started laughing
    Kaiser is there a prize ?:icon_bigg:

non binary people hmm well I like that they aren't all into gender roles I actually respect that even though I am :slight_smile:
    I say keep being yourself and enjoy .

7. Jellal

I think it's cool to be what you want to be. And I don't think it's asking very much to use someone's preferred pronouns.

8. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love them. As a person, who doesn't like to conform to gender norms, I think they are awesome and very interesting people. I just like people who are somehow different from the majority. I would love to meet a non-binary person in real life. I've also thought I might be genderqueer, before I realised I'm just a gender non-conforming guy.

9. Tardis2020

I find it a little hard to grasp, but I definitely support it. The only bad thing is the tumblr-gender people, people who identify as faggender, and dykegender, with pronouns like princesself/bunself/chubself

10. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes sense. They act as their true selves, not conforming to their biological stereotypes but account for their psychology as well. I think it's a broad spectrum on most things that compose who we are. We can choose to narrow it by conforming to the group. It seems that non binary genders take an even greater individualistic stance. :slight_smile: keep on rockin!

11. JackBikwik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Meh...I understand the premise, I'm just skeptical. I'll wholly admit that gender expression is a spectrum, but all these labels and boxes seem like unnecessary reduction to me. Every single one of us could come up with a paragraph long word-soup identity if we tried. And it still wouldn't do much to convey the complexity of the human experience.

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    F*ck! I just realized you were talking about non-binary not binary. Stupid me! :eusa_doh: :bang:

I've got nothing against my kind.

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2015 at 03:04 AM ----------

wtf?!