1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The name thread!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nekoko, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

I haven't bothered telling anyone my chosen name yet, my mom even told me that she wouldn't use it so there's no point. She's pretty attached to my birth name, it makes me feel guilty :frowning2: I also worry that when I ever tell someone what I want my name to be, they'll make me change it. My mom did once jokingly say that she should be allowed to rename me, so we'll see.

@Lazuri Personally I like Abigail
    @Tardis221B I think I like Wesley more, it reminds me of the Princess Bride
    @darkcomessoon I think Jesse Mark sounds nice

2. Tohru-Chan

I've finally decided on Rylan.

Rylan Eric Quinn [lastname]

3. Folieadeux

Oops, I just realized they do sound really similar...
    I was also considering Alexander?
    It has Russian origins like my old middle name that my mom gave me.

4. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ooh i really like Alexander, i was thinking about doing Alexandria at one point lol, but it didnt fit me according to my bffltlab (best friend for like totaly life and beyond)

5. Polka Dots

@Lazuri: I like both but my vote goes to Abigail. Beautiful name.

@Tardis221B: I dig the name Wes but I told you that already. :wink: I can understand why you may hesitate using Michael since it's the masculine form of your birth name. I'd probably react similarly if my birth name had a masculine form.

@Folieadeux: Alexander is a strong name. I like it! :grin:

I've never had a second thought about my name (Felix) as it's been in my head for years, but when it comes to middle names I'm drawing a blank. Before my folks passed away they told me the masculine name they had picked out for me was Joshua, and while that name isn't *bad* paired with Felix, as a kid I had a difficult time pronouncing "sh" sounds so it just reminds me of that. Ugh. On the other hand I wouldn't mind honoring my parents that way.

I think Felix is one of those names that can be difficult to find a middle name for (it's difficult for me, anyway). Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

6. Lazuri

No, it's a Greek name. Original form is Alexandros.

7. wolf of fire

As I'm gender fluid I have two one male and one female: Harry and Elizabeth. Legally I'm stick to what I was given at birth.

8. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm thinking Jamie as a first name cuz it sounds like my birth name and Christopher for a middle name because it's my dad's confirmation name and I want to honor him somehow. And I also want to use it as a pen name when I become a writer- like, just Jamie Christopher.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My name's Felix, but I feel like it still does not fit me well. But I've already came out to everyone as Felix, so perhaps I'm just breaking it in?

I think it sounds really nice, but if you have any dysphoria from your birth name, you may want to think it over. If you are someone who wants to dissociate themselves from their past identity completely, having a similar name to your birth name may make that a bit harder, but it is definitely your choice and your choice alone.

If you do decide to go with Jamie Christopher, I will make sure to look for that name in the future. =D

10. anann

I am currently trying out a name where I live. I wanted to keep my first initial an L so that limited my options significantly. I first tried Lore which is shortened from my given name. I don't necessarily have a problem with it in theory, but I don't like how others said it. They stressed the r too much and it sounded too harsh to me. A couple days ago now I started using Leith and it is sounding much better, so I hope I am done looking but we'll see - it's been two days.

I don't feel the need to have a middle name because I never have had one in the first place. First and last are plenty for me.

11. TheDapperCorvid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've decided on switching my birth name to the masculine version, Aaron, and changing my middle name to what my mother would have named me if I was male, Owen. None of this is really set in stone yet.

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Leith sounds pretty damn awesome! I hope you find one that works out. I know how frustrating it can be. =P

Owen is a great name. My father is named Tony and he was about to name me Tonyson if I had been born male, and... honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Haha.

13. Summer Rose

Lucille sounds nice, and Lucy is more fitting for this era than Rose (the last name I chose).

14. Folieadeux

Well, even though it is actually Greek, it still is commonly used in Russia, which is what I'm looking for. :slight_smile:

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well she's not really complaining, she just pointed it out the first time I told her, it's just gotten kind of awkward when we've gone out together with other people. (Also she's my older sister, she came first by like ten years! xD) That said my birth name gave me more trouble as it was my dad's name originally and I knew like five other people with my name, so maybe being similar isn't so bad :lol: that said you can keep calling me Elissa! I'm just trying things out, I've always gone by different names with different social groups since I was never really satisfied being called by my birth name... So please! Call me Elissa still if you like that name, it's one of my favorites so I encourage it! :slight_smile: (*hug*)

16. Lazuri

That is indeed true. It's very common in Russia along with the name "Alexei."

17. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm between Jacob, Patrick, Matthew and Oliver. Trying to choose a first & middle name out of those four options. Any suggestions?
    My parents would have called me Albert, but I don't really like the name & there's no male form of my name (and it's too feminine).

18. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patrick was my brith middle name actually! ^^ I've always liked it as a name but it never suited me personally... :slight_smile: (though it's what everyone in my family still calls me, I really wish they'd stop...)

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been oddly on the fence if I'm going to keep my first name. For some reason, I'm thinking about Adam now. This is frustrating.

20. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    I like the ring patric oliver has to it, or Matthew Michael