1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The name thread!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nekoko, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, just an idea I had, we get a lot of threads asking about names and all. For those of us still figuring that part out there is a lot of back and forth, let's try this or that, going on for us. So I propose a thread purely for names! Trying out new ones, asking what people think and sharing stories about times you've tried out a new name!

Anything you want to talk about involving your name is welcome here! :slight_smile:

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Nice idea!^^

I currently like the name Asa (pronounced A-suh)but I'm a little unsure since it practically doesn't exist here so i don't know what people think about it (i wanna study in England)

3. Jellal

I tried out a name change from my birth name to my initials, AJ, because I thought it would make things easier for my family. As it turned out, I was dead wrong. My dad told me a few weeks later that it was too hard for him to get used to, because it was TOO SIMILAR to my birth name. So I told him I really only picked that name for the sake of convenience, and if that wouldn't work, then I'd change the name completely to something different.

So instead of making a name change that would be "easy" for my family, I've decided instead to go with the name I really want—the name that's always been my favorite, Nika. Though it will be somewhat of a chore to explain to my friends, I think they'll understand.

4. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I like nika it sounds nice
    Excellent choice :icon_wink

5. Queero

I've heard of a few Asa's in the US. Not many, but it's easy to spell and people will likely get it the first time.

While I got lucky and my first name is androgynous and I'm fine to be called it for the rest of my life, my middle name is girly, it is a virtue name, and I do not possess the virtue!

I've been thinking of changing it to Graham when I'm old enough. My only concern is that it may be too similar to my birth middle name.

6. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Randomly Me: Asa is a rather interesting name, I must say I do like it ^^

@Jellal: Nika is such a cute name! :3 I love it!

@Queero: Graham is a strong name I think you'd be happy with it! :slight_smile:

My roommate and I had a conversation about my name and came to an interesting idea, since he's so used to calling me by my old nickname Rick, I thought maybe Erika might be a good substitute. And to replace Rick as a nickname I could go by Rika! (digimon anyone?) So I'm thinking of trying it out since although I love the name Elissa, it's proving to have some issues, especially with my sister being named something similar...

7. NotWhoYouThink

I'm still trying to figure out my gender, but I'm hella masculine. I'm thinking either Jae or Jai. What do you think? Both are fairly close to my female/birth name.

8. Jellal

Rika's great, but I'm obviously biased because it sounds kinda like mine :eusa_doh:

So I talked to my mom about calling me Nika instead, and she said it would be too hard for her. It was at that very moment I decided, "There's no point in trying to satisfy anyone with my name. I want this name very much, so I will keep it, and that's all there is to it." She said she just wouldn't call me by any name, and that's easy enough for me. Seeing how well the people I know deal with small changes is making it easier for me to tell who will really be there to help me out when shit hits the fan. (I'm sticking closer to my friends at this point)

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fond of the name Jai, but maybe that's just cuz it's a name I'm familiar with. They're both pretty cool though :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2015 at 01:06 AM ----------

I chose my name quite a while ago, and I've stuck with it since. First name Jesse, middle name Mark. The thing is, I initially intended to go by Jesse Mark (kinda like a two-name first name, as opposed to just Jesse), mostly because I worry about people mistaking Jesse for Jessie, a girl's name. I've been flip flopping since then, and I still haven't decided between Jesse Mark or just Jesse.

What do you guys think? Does Jesse Mark sound good, or would it be better to stick with just one first name?

10. Folieadeux

Definitely sure that I want to go by Ian as my first name, but I'm not completely sold on a middle name... I was thinking Daren or something like that? Any thoughts?

11. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've thought about names quite a bit, and I've mostly narrowed it down to two options(though that could change), one is I could go with the female version of my name, Sidney into Sydney, in which case I'd need to find a completely new middle name as I can't seem to find a female version of Arthur. Or, I could change my first name to Audrey, which was what my mother would've named me had I been born female, and my middle name to Jae, which has a long story behind it, and also flows very well with my last name. However, I do feel conflicted about changing it at all as I was named by someone very important to my mother who passed away when I was young so I don't remember him but I hear he was nice.

12. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's the british actor Asa Butterfield who's starred in the films Hugo, The boy in the striped pyjamas, Ender's game and a few others.

13. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Lol i went through a lot of names till i stuck with one, i went from Rachael to jennifer to jessica to Alyssa then Anastasia which is my current name, and as for middle names i really like lynn but im not sure, anyone have an opinion??

14. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Daren is a lovely name, but Ian and Daren end with very similar sounds, which is always something to keep in mind when choosing names that are supposed to go together.

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2015 at 01:14 PM ----------

When names have familial significance, it can sometimes be nice to ask for the input of the family members to whom it would be important (i.e. your mother). I know your bio says you're not out to anyone, but perhaps you could wait to get too too settled on a name (though of course you can choose one to use in the mean time) and ask for your mother's help in choosing a name when you do come out.

If that doesn't sound like something you want to do, I don't think you could go too wrong either way. Sydney and Audrey are both lovely names :slight_smile:

15. Tardis221B

@randomly me: Asa's a nice name, I really like it. I knew a guy in high school with that name, an all around really good guy.

@AlmightyFrogCAT: I think Sydney is a really pretty name, but I guess something to think on, does it make you uncomfortable that it's so similar to your birth-name? If not, that's great but if it might make you a bit uncomfortable when you hear it, that's something to consider. Audrey is also a really nice, really pretty name, I think both are great choices. I guess it comes down to what family histories or aspects of yourself you want to honor. Maybe try out using a name for a bit online, and see how it feels. Sometimes you just don't know until you hear it.

-----

I'm currently debating between Wesley Michael, or Michael Wesley. Both names have stuck, but I think I prefer Wesley (I love the nick name Wes). The only reason I'm not sure is because I think people will have an easier time calling me Michael since its the masculine version of my birth name. But on that same note that's why I don't like it, i despise my birth name, always have. (and the story of behind my finding name Wesley is a fun one too :icon_wink)

16. Lazuri

Stuck between Abigail and Quinzel. honestly can't decide.

17. randomly me

randomly me Guest

@tardis if you like wesley better then go for it!a name is something you have your whole life and it should describe you.You shouldn't let others feelings matter in this it's about your name.You've written elsewhere that you emediatly reacted when someone said it in another context so i'd say it's already kinda your name in your head.Also it really suits you.

@lazuri i personally like abigail more but it's your name so your choice.it might be a little complicated though since it's such a popular name.

18. NotWhoYouThink

What do you think of Jai as a first name and Coryn as a middle name? Both are fairly close to my birth/female names.

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @ Nekoko ... But... But... Elissa is just perfect... I think it suits you... If your sister complains, tell her you were there first...

@Folieadeux What about Ian Lewis? Sounds too posh? Or Ian Martin

@Tardis221B I'd go for Wesley - Wes. You'll see later why... :badgrin:

@Lazuri Abigail.

@NotWhoYouThink Hmm... What about something like Sam? It's both feminine and masculine. Coryn leaves no room for doubt.

Ok... Great moment of truth... Call me Ishmael... No :lol: hold on, call me Frank Michael...

Just Michael.
    (Or Mick, if we know each other reaaaally well)

I don't know if it suits me or not, I just like it... It's going to be a hard transition from Nikita (a name everybody seems to be delighted to say) to Michael...

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I call myself Masaya, Masa for short. Not that anyone calls me that offline.