1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The trouble I usually I have with writing is that my mind goes too fast, and I already have all the character's futures like ten/twenty years ahead planned out before I've finished the first chapter. :lol:

It's hard not to be tempted to rush it and skip to the end, and it's hard to be motivated to put the time in. But then again, I'm just lazy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:bang:

At least I have a lot of time this Summer, so I might get somewhere with this story after all.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have two fantasy stories in the works. One is close to 400 pages the second is about 150ish. Both feature a female lead, the first is not really old enough for that part of the character to be important to the story. The second one is a lesbian who has a crush on her best friend, but that isn't the focus of the main plot. The longer of the two is high magic, and the young protagonist actually uses magic to travel to another world. Kind of standard fantasy world; lots of races, talking animals, tons of dragons of all different kinds (Eastern and Western versions, even dragonkin)

The shorter of the two takes place in present day earth. There is magic and all sorts of mythical creatures and beings, but they are more hidden. Kinda like Hellboy or the Percy Jackson series, all of those things are out there, most people don't know about them. I have small chunks of it done, including what I hope is an awesome dragon chasing a helicopter thru the Black Hills scene...

I have a science fantasy in bits in pieces in my head. Plus a bunch of short stories of more adult nature on various internet forums. Its good practice even if the topic isn't for everyone lol.

3. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would so talk about it.. But I have to finish a book about some dudes boring life then I have to finish some blog entries...

4. rudysteiner

Does anyone have any tips on how to start writing? I really want to get into writing, but can't for the life of me figure out how to.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Writing" is a bit over-vague of a name for the medium. What kind? Short stories, poems, screenplays, novels? For the smaller ones, you make like Nike ads and just do it. If you expect bigger works to be good, you've either got to be Jack Kerouac or have some sort of structure planned out for it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just noticed that I referenced Kerouac and you have him in your user title. Huh. :lol:

#485 Argentwing, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try writing things that challenge you.. for instance the longest sentence you can without listing things, or redundancy.
    I think I got to 6000k words about a long thought process of an old man contemplating suicide, overcoming it through his surroundings, then dieing whilst going to tell his wife and kids. If I remember it was dark poetry, but it really got my creative juices flowing.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One way to start would be to keep a journal and note the things you see or experience in a regular basis. You could also try using writing prompts, writing down what ever comes to mind when you see a phrase or an object. Depending on what you would like to write, there are some tools and/or specific sites that could prove to be helpful in getting started.

Personally, taking a few creating writing classes, and joining a writers' group has helped me to get into writing, and stay motivated to continue writing.

8. Spacewalker

I haven't written anything for idk months... a very long time. And yesterday I wrote a fucking poem. Sth like poetry slam. Feels like this is my style of writing

9. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm currently writing the pilot episode to a tv show I created and a novel detailing my life at a Catholic high school.

10. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally have a dystopian future idea for a book but I have to do a lot of scientific research before I can start writing so it'll all make sense. Right now I've just been writing fanfiction.

11. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love writing! I've been writing for as long as I can remember, it really helps with my anxiety and depression. I mainly post my stories on Fanfiction.Net. I write mostly romance and fanfiction. I mainly write stories about love between two women, it just feels more natural for me.:icon_bigg

12. 101DeadRoses

I HAVE RETURNED.

With new health problems (nothing too serious - just need a new diet) and new worries, but some clear brain space and a reconstruction of my life in the works!

Bring me your writing problems! Your blocks! Your questions! Bring me your Mary-Sues in need of redemption! Your huddled paragraphs!

Write on, and enjoy the thread revival!

13. Jellal

Oh man, so I've been pretty busy since the last time I posted here. Happy so say I've written over 100 pages and counting! Someday, I know I'm going to finish this first draft.

14. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm currently in the process of writing my own ongoing post apocalyptic zombie novel. Won't be finished for a long long time.

15. 101DeadRoses

Hey! I have a zombie apocalypse in the works in my book! Man, I need to get back to writing. Getting rusty.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My horror anthology is under construction at the moment so I can focus on one of my stalker movies. If all goes well, I'm hoping to collaborate with someone I look up to to make it a reality.

17. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I finally started writing my 6th story, called Welcome to Famenta. I wrote the first chapter and most of the second so far. My first 6 stories will be about a big event for each main character, then they'll all get together in the 7th. This is Cero moving across the world, Helmsley's mother getting engaged to her secret girlfriend, Tori's father wanting her to move back north, Alba trying to hide her identity the first day of school, Zenzi's stepmother (who is Tori's mother, but Tori's purposely left out in this chapter) announcing to them that she's pregnant, and Erin hearing about Cero.

#497 Rowe, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  18. 101DeadRoses

Sometimes the research can be the best thing about writing. :slight_smile:

Anyway, found this on my loooooong hiatus, found this whole thing to be AMAZINGLY detailed:
    Fantasy name generators. Names for all your fantasy characters.

It's not just names, it even has a language generator, and a ton of other gens that are pretty cool. The only thing is is that the map and town (and army formation) generators are kinda sucky, but that could just be me. Anyway, check it out!

19. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a writer. I'm still a novice doing some roughdrafts but I put my heart and soul into my characters. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm afraid it would give away my privacy on this site since my other public websites are dedicated to my stories.

20. Scorpio1024

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm writing a story on Wattpad.

Breathe: Evie lost both her parents in a car crash to a drunk driver. She struggles with coming to terms with being an orphan. The only thing she has left is an empty notebook. Visits to the counselor are a waste of time. So, she never shows up. One day she meets someone. Together they overcome their struggles. Along the way Evie finds her true calling.

Plot problems: What is the possible issues her friend Harley could go through? So, far she has homophobic foster parents.

How do I address the issue of romance? I'm going through a time where romance just doesn't interest me and my writing reflects that.

Should I write about Harley and Evie's foster home situations?