1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Ah, forgot to mention I've written a sci-if love story set in a post-apocalyptic (but still very much thriving) distant future where the world was populated by genderless robotic beings.

However I think that story was lost.

2. MrSkittles

Im in the early stages of writing a Post-Apocalyptic /Dystopian Book Triology. The Triology takes place 10 years after a nuclear war. The U.S is in chaos as half of the population were effected by the nuclear weapons and were mutated. These mutants have certain powers. Some more powerful than the others. Soon after the Goverment found out about the Mutants they went around capturing each mutant and analyzing them and the mutants had to go through what is called "The Experiement" Were they are tested to see if they are health enough . The Goverment wants to use the mutants powers against the other countries. This all changes soon as a new mutant arrives(wont reveal name). He has the most powerful powers and the goverment dosent know. Him and a group of friends he meets alo have the idea to rebel. Which could lead to an all out Civil War.

3. Jellal

In response to an earlier question, about whether or not I include LGBT topics in my work:

For lesbian, gay, and bisexual content, sometimes when I look back at what I've written, I think stuff like, "damn, my two protagonists have a relation which is very close, life partner close." Maybe homoerotic overtones are just unavoidable when you ride the 'nakama' train as hard as I do. Not that it's a bad thing; I'm happy to see characters grow closer together, and sometimes I'm even happy to see things be not-so chaste. If I ever end up writing a sexually charged scene, I reflect on it and ask if it genuinely helps the story—some stuff's better suited for fanfiction.

Gender, on the other hand, I am more conscious about when I write. In an ideal world, nobody would give two shits whether my heroine was transgender, bigender, agender, etc. but I'll inevitably get complaints like "this character does not represent the Xgender experience accurately." Therefore, my personal policy has always been to write with my own mental disclaimer: I never write for the sake of representation alone. I write what's real for individual characters. And a big 'fuck you' to anyone who assumes there is one universal experience for any gender. We've each got our own ways of doing things.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was about to advise you on why you shouldn't worry about those complaints, but it seems you have it figured out. Nobody is the authority on men, women, or any other gender group so much that they can condemn your portrayal of a person on that basis (unless it's garishly wrong, but I don't think you'll write a character that poorly). Someone who claims to be is an attention-seeking elitist.

5. 101DeadRoses

I do the same. Usually, I write an extensive profile first, in third person. I write down good traits, bad traits, surprising traits, etc. Pretty much everything that you'd need to know about these characters to feature them in a story. Then, once I feel like I have a decent grasp on my character, I go into super character development mode. I have a character development questionnaire that is over 170 questions, most of which contains more questions and sub-questions. It's almost every detail that could be found out about anyone, from what they think of themselves to where they grew up. I'm constantly adding to it, so it gets bigger and better by the day. Also, I do it in-character, so it really lets me dig around in their brains for a while.

I can post the questionnaire and the character profile templates if anyone's interested. Also, I have a number of websites with resources for writers on them, including the original questionnaire that I adapted. They help a lot.

6. KaydenWidz

Recently Ive been writing alot of poetry, kinda short things, mostly about my transition. Other than that and my lover, i have nothing to write about lol.

7. lukeluvznicki13

I love writing stories and songs but I often battle to find the time!

I was wondering, do you guys usually have like a mindmap or rough diagram of some sort in order to plan out your story?

8. 101DeadRoses

Well, a tip I have is to ignore the chapters and focus on smaller sections of your story, like days or. even hours.
    Here's a little example:
    D(meaning day)1: A normal day of school to showcase the group's normal life. Don't forget to introduce Josh, Tom and Rita!
    D2: Starts out normal, then descends into chaos. By the time they make it to Michelle's house, Josh has been badly beaten and has lost his family. They also encounter a "monster child".

That's just a small example, but the tip is to just plot out the major events of your story, and remember that it's ok to skip a day here and have a really big day there and for heaven's sake, DON'T try and do it all at once. I have been writing about a hundred words per weekend every weekend for six months on my outline and I have just recently got it done. It may have taken a really long time, but it's great (if I do say so myself) and I can't wait to write it.
    And, just another tip, keep an idea journal and write down ideas for directions in which to take your story. It'll help you to remember them and you'll have them as reference for when you're stuck on your outline.

Hope this helped.

9. Lyana

I like to know where I'm going. I outline pretty heavily. Like, I write down major events in the form of bullet points. I write an outline for each character (usually about a page for a character, but can be longer) that has the major events and fill in the blanks between these events. From there, I write my global outline/summary, which can be a couple pages long.
    Not a mindmap. I've tried mindmapping, but it's not my preferred method. (I love wikis, though.)

Sometimes, I'll only have a chapter-by-chapter outline, with one line per chapter:
    "Chapter 1: Find out about X. Freak out, blame Y. Decide to do Z."

10. RainDreamer

Depending on the complexity of the plot.

For short stories? Nope, I just wing it.

For longer stories with bigger plots? Yeah, I use an outline to keep track of what I wrote to keep me from straying away from what I already have.

For huge stories with multiple plots and subplots that may possibly intertwine with each other? I keep a flow chart. But usually I give up half way doing all those charts and connections, before even writing a word. It is a really daunting task.

11. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm currently working on a steampunk/fantasy story that basically incorporates dragons, steampunk machinery/weapons/locations and magic with people being reluctant/scared of dragons (This is going in HTTYD style and i know it). Essentially its broken up into 2 arcs with the first being about a sensitive (as in health) ice user whom meets a young dragon named lucas by his friend. He brings him along to the city where we was supposed to meet with his older sister. Somewhere along they meet a person who comes from a family of doctors who they discovered that his younger brother died due to an uncurable illness which caused him to adopt a serious fear of blood. His personality is your typical selfish aristocrat. Thats all i have for the first arc for now.
    In the second arc, 6 years passed and the group reunited again. At this point, the general society are now accepting about dragons but of course, theres still the skeptical ones. (Insert plot hole) They are requested to go to a certain place. They meet with a pilot/inventor who is their only hope for transport whom at first was not willing to take them to their destination until he finds out lucas is a dragon. Taking serious interest, he accepts to bring them and their journey begins. As for what kind of journey, i have not thought about it.

Currently i havent thought of an actual overall plot, its mostly just random points in the story about character development and interactions. So i would really love it if some of you guys could suggest some ideas that fit a story about magic and steampunk.

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No. I just come up with things as I go, and go back over it later to edit.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wish I could chat about my stories but I delve into them EVERYWHERE on other sites and I don't want anyone to find out who I am.

But yes I do plan stories and characters. I'm more of an artist than a book writer though.

14. 101DeadRoses

No! I won't let this thread die!
    Live! *Shocks with defibrillator* Live!

Anyway... being serious now...
    I'm going to post some character development sheets, questionnaires, prompts and the like here when I can get a crack at the computer they're on.

Love ya, guys! Write on!

15. Lyana

Well, we writers, we tend to like killing off characters... does that extend to threads, too?
    Actually, there's a question for you guys -- are you kill-happy with your characters? I mean, I never feel I unnecessarily kill characters, but if I'm writing fantasy, it's pretty much a given that's someone's going to die along the way. And since that's what I write the most... Eh.
    Oh, and also, I almost exclusively write long pieces of fiction, as in novel-length. I have a hard time thinking of an interesting story to tell that's shorter. Even though I've loved reading some short stories. I kind of wonder why.

Prompts would be pretty cool, 101DeadRoses. :grin:

16. 101DeadRoses

Here's the character profile sheets. They're not beyond criticism but are very extensive, and cover pretty much everything that you need to know about a character to write them well, though the questionnaire I'll post separately is even more extensive.

Character Profile Sheets:

[Character Name, First and Last.]

Approximate Gender:

Role In Story:

Good Traits:

Passive/Varying Traits:

Bad Traits:

Odd/Unexpected Traits:

How The Character Looks:

How The Character Dresses:

How The Character Moves:

How The Character Adapts To New Situations:

How The Character Adapts To New People:

How The Character Speaks:

How The Character Interacts With Objects:

How The Character Interacts With Others:

Example Of Character Dialogue:

Example Of The Character's "Look":

Example Of How The Character Interacts With Others:

Example Of How The Character Interacts With Objects:

Physical Strength Or Weakness:

Positive Relationships With Other Characters:

Negative Relationships With Other Characters:

Romantic Relationships With Other Characters:

Greatest Strength(s):

Greatest Weakness(es):

Greatest Fears:

Greatest Desires:

Greatest Secret(s):

Thing They Don’t Know About Themselves:

Their Greatest Obstacle (Keeping Them From Their Greatest Desires):

Family Relationships:

Early Childhood Positive Experiences:

Early Childhood Negative Experiences:

Background:

Other Details:

17. Lazuri

I don't have qualms about killing my characters. I won't kill them without reason, but I realize that no hero can live forever. A lot of my stories feature multiple protagonists simply because the previous one died.

Character deaths are excellent ways to trigger character development, so I feel that it's sometimes worth killing off a character so that one or more other characters can develop and become stronger characters.

18. 101DeadRoses

Here's the character questionnaire. You should do this in the shoes of your character and have them answer readily. And answer only as they would, not from the perspective of an "all-knowing" author.
    WARNING: IT'S VERY LONG.

What about you is heroic?

What do you like in other people? What do you dislike?

Of what benefit are you to your current group? Any drawbacks, do you think?

Why are you currently with your group? Why did you join them?

What sort of adventure would you actively undertake, as opposed to just tagging along?

What is your true birthname? Do you use it, or do you prefer a nickname?

Do you have a nickname? What is it? Where/when/why did you get it?

What do you look like? Any distinguishing features? Do you like how you look, and feel comfortable with your appearance? How would you like to look?

How old are you right now?

How do you dress in everyday situations? Details, please.

How do you “dress up”, say, for a dance?

How do you dress when relaxing?

What nightclothes (pajamas) do you wear?

Any jewelry you like?

In your opinion, what is your best physical feature?

What’s your real birthdate? If you lie about your age, why?

What is your fake age, if you have one?

Where do you live? Describe it. If you want to live somewhere else, where?

Do you own a car? If so, do you like it? What sort of car would you love to drive?

What is your most prized possession? Why do you value it?

What one word best describes you?

What was/is your family like?

Who was your father? What was he like? Did you like him? How about other people?

Who was your mother? What was she like? Did you like her? How about other people?

Were your parents married? What was their marriage like? How long were they married? Did they stay married? If they got divorced, then what and who caused it?

Did/do you have any siblings? How many? What were their names, and what were they like?

When was the last time you saw a member of your family? Who was it? Where are they now?

Are there any family members that you know of that you’ve never met? Why have you never met them? Would you like to meet them?

When you think of family, who immediately comes to mind? Why?

What is your first memory?

What was your family like in your childhood?

What was your favorite toy when you were a child? What was your favorite game?

Any non-family member adults stick out in your mind? What were they like? How did you know them, and when did you meet them? Was their influence good or bad?

What is your fondest childhood memory? When and where did this occur? Who was involved? How did it affect you?

What is your worst childhood memory? When and where did this occur? Who was involved? How did it affect you?

How old were you when you went on your first date? Who was it with? Where did you go? Did your parents know? How did it go?

What is your view on authority? What and who affected it? How long did it take to fully develop it?

What were/are you like in high school? What clique do/did you fit in with the most?

What were/are your goals in high school? Explain them and how they fit into your life. Why were they important?

Were you bullied in high school? If so, by whom? Did they ever give a reason? What was it? Why do you think they were compelled to bully you?

Who was your enemy in high school? Why did you hate them? Were they rude to you or were you jealous of something they had? Do you still dislike them?

Who was your best friend in high school? Why did you like them? Were they nice to you, or were they a means to an end, such as popularity? Do you still like them?

Who was your idol in high school? Why did you look up to them? Did you want to be more like them or did you just admire them?

Who was your first crush? Why did you like them? Were they a jock, a cheerleader, or did they fit into some other high school clique?

Who was your first boyfriend/girlfriend? What were they like? Do you regret dating them, or do you miss them? Did you break up and why? Do you think it would have worked out if [X] hadn’t happened? How old were you when you got together?

What is your favorite memory from adolescence? Why does it stand out?

What is your worst memory from adolescence? Why is it so bad?

What is your most embarrassing memory from adolescence? Why do you blush when you think about it?

What was your biggest mistake from adolescence? Did it embarrass or upset you as soon as you did it, or was it later on that you realized that you made a big mistake?
    How did the people nearest to you react?

Do you have a job? What is it? Do you like it? Where is it located?

Do you particularly like any coworkers? Why do they stick out in your mind?

Do you like your boss? Why or why not?

Do you dislike anyone in your office? Why do you hate their guts?

Do you have a crush on one of your coworkers? Who are they, and what is their job in relation to yours? Why do you like them?

If you aren’t employed, then where does your money come from?

Do you tend to save, spend, or give away your money?

What hobbies do you have? How much time do you put into them? Why do you like them?

What genre of music do you like? Why?

What is your favorite song? Why do you think you like it?

What bands do you like? Do you pay attention to the people themselves or just the music?

What song can you play for hours on end without getting bored?

What is “your song” and what does it make you feel? Why do you feel this way?

What is your favorite movie of all time? Why do you like it? Do any of your friends like it too? Do you frequently watch it? If so, do you watch it with other people normally?

What is your favorite TV show? If that’s not on, what do you like to watch? Why do you like it?

What’s your favorite book? Why do you like it?

If you care about politics, which way do you tend to vote? If not, why don’t you care?

Who is the best politician in your opinion?

What do you like in romantic interests? Why?

Who is your closest friend? Why?

Who is your greatest enemy? Why?

Where do you like to hang out with your friends? Why?

Where do you like to go to be alone? Why?

Where do you like to go to relax? Why?

What do you do when you are sad? Why? What if you’re lonely? Why?

What annoys you the most? Why?

What would be the perfect gift for you? What would be the worst? Why?

What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen? The ugliest? Why?

What time of day is your favorite? Why?

What season is your favorite? What weather is your favorite? Why?

What’s your favorite flower? Why?

What’s your favorite animal? Why?

Do you have any pets? Do you even like pets? If so, what’s your favorite kind, if not then why not?

What habits do others have that annoys you? Why?

What embarrasses you and why?

What don’t you like about yourself and why?

How would you like to look and why?

What is your sexuality? Are you sure in it or questioning?

Who was your first time? When, where and why did it happen? How did it go?

Have you ever had a same-sex experience? How did it go? Who was it with?

What is your deepest, most well-hidden sexual fantasy? Would you ever dare to try it?
    Wildest thing you’ve ever done? Who did you do it with? How did it go?

What’re your kinks? Why do you like them?

Anything that you will not, under ANY circumstances, do with a lover?

Do you currently have a lover? What is their name, what are they like, and what is your relationship like? Why are you attracted to them?

What is the perfect romantic date like to you?

Describe the perfect romantic partner to you. Why are they so perfect to you? Do you think you’ll ever meet them?

Do you want to get married? What about children? When, if at all, do you see this happening?

What was your most recent romantic relationship like? Who was it with?

What is the worst thing you’ve ever done to someone you loved? Did you two make it through it?

How old were you when you first got drunk or high? What drug or alcohol was it? Were you with anyone? Who? Did any benefits come out of it? Anything bad?

Do you drink or do drugs regularly? What do you do and why?

What do you think of drugs and drink in general?

What one act are you the most ashamed of? What act are you proudest of? Explain both.

Have you ever been in an argument before? Who with? What prompted it? Who won? Do either of you still hold a grudge?

Have you ever been in a physical fight before? Who with? What prompted it? Who won? Do either of you still hold a grudge?

In your past, what has angered you the most?

What currently angers you the most about the world?

Do you like yourself as you currently are? If not, then why?

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?

What embarrasses you? Why?

What do you feel strongest about and why?

If you were going to a protest, what would it be for or against? Why do you feel strongly about it?

What do/would you pretend to feel strongly about just to impress people? Why?

What trait do you find most admirable in people? Why? How often do you find it?

Do you have any feelings in general that you are disturbed by? Why and how severely do they disturb you?

Is there anything that you don’t think should be made public or incorporated into the media (art, music, etc.)? Why do you believe that these things should be censored?

What is your religion, if any?

Do you think the future is hopeful? Why or why not?

Is “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” really true? Which is more valuable?

What, in your opinion, is the worst thing that could ever be done to a person? Why do you believe this is so? Are there any exceptions?

What’s the worst thing you could actually do to someone you hate? Why or why not would and/or could you do this?

Are you a leader or follower in general? If you believe that the whole leader-follower archetype is a crock-o-sh*t, explain why.

What do you believe is your responsibility to the world, if any? Why do you believe that this is your job?

Do you think that redemption is possible? If so, can anyone be redeemed, or only certain people for certain crimes? If not, then why?

Do you believe that it is okay for you to cry? Why or why not? When was the last time you cried?

What do you think is wrong with MOST people overall?

What is the thing that has frightened you most in the past? Why do you think it scared you so much? Do you think that there’s anything out there that’s scarier than that? What do you think that would be?

Has anyone or anything you cared about (a pet, a family member, a friend) died? How did they die? How did you react, and what were your internal emotions? When and where did this happen? Do you still feel strongly if you think about them? If not, how do you think you would react in that situation?

Have you ever seen anyone die? If so, who were they, if you knew them? How did they die? How did you feel soon afterwards? Do you still feel strongly about it? If not, how do you think you would react in that situation?

What is the worst injury you have ever received? How did you get it? If it was caused by another person, who did it and why? Was it an accident or did they mean to do it?

What is the most anti-climatic thing that has ever happened to you?

Have you ever had a premonition? What of? Do you even believe in premonitions?

Do you believe in the supernatural? Why or why not? If you believe in the supernatural, is everything supernatural real, or do you believe that only select things under select circumstances are real?

What is your current long term goal? Why do you want it? How long have you been devoting yourself to it?

What is your current short term goal? Why do you want it?

Do you have any bad habits? If so, what are they, and do you plan to get rid of them?
    Do they affect your social life?

Do you wish that you lived in another time period? Why? And don’t answer “to change history”. What appeals to you about this era?

Are you an introvert, extrovert, or somewhere in between? Explain your choice.

Are you a very private person? If so, and if you had unlimited resources to do so, what would you do to keep your privacy?

If you suddenly had an amazing, obscenely large amount of money, what would be the first thing you’d do with it and why?

What would be your three wishes if you found a genie (no infinite wishes or bringing people back to life!)?

What is the most terrifying potential handicap you can conceive of? Why are you so frightened of it?

What is the most frightening possible thing you can think of?

Where did you go to preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school and/or college? Why did you go to each school? Were they public or private? Take your time and describe each experience.

In your opinion, what is your best trait? What is it good for? Why is it your best trait?

What are you like, in general? Describe yourself in a few sentences.

What is your greatest strength? Why is this a strength? Did you acquire this strength, or were you just born with it? Do others know about or appreciate this strength?

What is your greatest weakness? Why is this a weakness? Did you acquire this weakness, or were you just born with it? Do others know about or pity this weakness?

What is something you want to change about yourself? Why do you want to change this? Would others want you to change it?

[To author] What is something that this character definitely doesn’t know about themselves? Make up a scene in which the character makes it evident, then explain. Where did this hidden trait come from? How does it affect them? How does it affect people around them? Did it develop, or just appear? How will this affect their life?

[To character] If you were at the grocery store, stocking up for an average week of yours, what would you buy and why? Explain each item to the fullest extent.
    What is your favorite food? Your favorite drink? Explain both.

Imagine, if you will, a young woman. She has a dark tan, blonde hair, is skinny and tall and she lives in California. She is a model, and she has a lot of money from her profession, but she hates her job. The question is: Who do you think she is? Do you think she is a natural blonde? Does she like it in California? What’s her name? How old is she exactly? Around how much money do you think she has? Does she hate her appearance, or just her job? Why do you think she hates her job? What job do you think she’d like to have? Explain your answers.

Now imagine a young man. He is tall, skinny and pale, with dark hair and eyes. He works as a tour guide for a national park. He loves his job and his co-workers, despite his low pay, but he has a dark secret related to his job. The question is: Who do you think he is? What is his name? Do you think he’s naturally skinny, athletically lean, or perhaps anorexic? Does he dye his hair, and wear contacts, or is his appearance all natural? Why does he love his job? Why does he like his co-workers and who are they? And what is that dark secret? Explain your answers.

How do you think people see you? Is there much of a variation in who you are presumed to be between friends and those who don’t know you? What about any enemies that you might have? How do they see you?

How do you want people to see you? Why? Do people already see you that way, or do they see you in another way entirely?

If someone you didn’t particularly like was trying to flirt with you, say, in a bar, how would you react and why? Author, how do you think they would REALLY react?

If you are flirting with someone, what do you say and why? Do you pretend to be like someone you’re not? Why or why not? What body language do you use? Are you more aggressive or do you take your time? Who do you tend to flirt with? Who would you really like to flirt with?

Imagine that you’re at a restaurant. What do you order and why? Is it your favorite food, or just what ever you can get? Or would you just leave the restaurant and eat at home?

Describe an entire day for yourself? What do you do when you first get up? What do you eat for breakfast? Do you have a schedule, or do you just wing it? What is this schedule, if you have one? If you don’t have a schedule, is there an outside reason, or do you just prefer to have more wiggle room to your day?

What is your greatest passion right now? Why is it your greatest passion?

Is there anything artistic you like to do, such as writing, drawing or other creative pastimes? Is this your career?

Have you ever done something major onstage? What was it? Were you forced to do it, or did you volunteer? Why did you do it?

Have you ever had anything to do with acting (movies, plays, etc.), directing, or play/screenwriting?

Has anything paranormal or supernatural ever happened to you, say, seeing a ghost?

Would you ever be attracted to a ghost or other supernatural creature, or would you be turned off by their lack of...well, life?

Have you ever found yourself pining for “the one who got away”? Who was it? Why couldn’t you manage to hook ‘em?

Have you ever married or made a huge commitment to the wrong person? Who was it? Why were they wrong for you?

Have you ever loved or been infatuated with someone who didn’t love you back? Who was it, and why do you think that they didn’t love you back? Do you think you ever had a chance?

Who do you think loves you the most in this world? Why do they love you so much, and do you return the sentiment?

Okay. That's the end of it. But another tip: Number the questions and the answers to keep them in order.

19. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sort of a writer. I don't do much, but my favorite things to write are short stories focusing on an LGB+ protagonist. It gives me room to play around with different character types but also allows me to play in some real-world situations with which I have some experience. I'm taking a creative writing class right now for school with my favorite teacher ever, and I think that's helping me get better as a writer.

I've got a questionnaire that she gave us for character development which I've been using for my characters, and I think that helps a bit with figuring out how they would act in specific situations. If people want, I can try to find it online (she got it from some blog belonging to a girl who can't count) and link it.

20. Jellal

My dad was actually asking me about my writing earlier today, saying that he wondered whether I made gender a focus in any of my work. It was kinda interesting that he brought it up ... he even mentioned 'agender,' which was kinda surprising to me. It was the first time I ever heard him mention that lingo specifically. I guess he's doing his research.

I admit that I've had a kinda tricky time deciding how much I want to stress that my main protagonist is agender. It's not like that exactly impacts the plot in any way, but when I was thinking about X's character traits [real name omitted because I don't want to risk anyone plagiarizing a name I'm very proud of] I thought to myself, "X looks fairly androgynous, and acts more a long the lines of your stereotypical 'hot-blooded male' lead. Just because X was born and raised 'female' doesn't mean X ever chose a female identity for herself. But I don't see her expressing dismay if someone's referring to her with female pronouns. I think X would just kinda go with it, and would probably react the same to male pronouns. Gender is like a separate world to X that she isn't invested in. Like, it doesn't really 'stick' with her."

I've read accounts of agender folk IRL who have been troubled by words and pronouns that make them feel incorrectly categorized. I guess my disclaimer has to be in full force here, and I have to remind myself that I should expect better things from my readers than for them to get mad because a character's traits don't match their own life experiences. I didn't start writing X thinking "man, this story could really use an agender protagonist." She just turned out that way when I considered her thought processes and the way she interacts with other people. In a way I guess getting mad over X would be like being an asexual flying into a rage over how Monkey D. Luffy is a terrible misrepresentation of what it means to be an asexual, what with his love of meat and piracy.