1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Books with LGBT characters?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DylaNolan, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DylaNolan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I have recently finished the Heroes of Olympus Seires by Rick Riordan (Piper for the win !! <3 ) and after seeing that there is an LGBT character there - not gonna tell who this character is,but the coming out is in the 4th book " The House of Hades" I was wandering if there are any great books out there with LGBT characters who are not the main characters,but they are there to represent something just like that character did in HoO

Any ideas?

2. FrenchKid98

Books with supporting/side characters that are LGBT, I don't have one in mind.

But I don't know if you know about those, but the books by Brent Hartinger are great LGB themed books (I think they can be a bit hard to find, but they are available as ebooks on amazon)

3. Howl

I love PJatO and HoO. One of my top 5 favourite series.
    I was actually gonna suggest him when I saw the title. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harry Potter. Dumbledore is gay.

5. thatsme

Out Status:
    A few people
    John Green and David Levithan's "Will Grayson, Will Grayson", it's a really good book. I know David Levithan has many books with gay characters (he is gay himself <3) I've never read them, but I've heard they're good.

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2015 at 05:56 PM ----------

I wish J.K. Rowling made it more clear in books that he's gay. I hate the fact that there are no gay characters in children's books and movies. :dry: :dry:

6. Yami

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The Divergent series has two, it's not very much of gay stuff in it but at least some.. :slight_smile:

7. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, The Amber Spyglass, has two gay angels, although I think it's ambiguous whether their relationship is sexual.

In graphic novels a shout should go out to Scott Pilgrim's gay roommate, Wallace. He does meet several gay clichés but still seems much more interesting than a stereotype. Plus he has most of the best lines and his own life, rather than just being a non-threatening male character like many gay friends in books and films.

8. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Gone series by Michael Grant has a lesbian character and a gay couple later on. It gets bonus points too because there are gay POC. The cast is overall very diverse and the story is fantastic. I highly recommend it!

9. Smilingpuppy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I clicked on this thread because I was wondering if anyone would recommend HoO I don't know any other books with LGBT characters but I just wanted to say Great taste in books! That's my fav series!

10. CapQuestionmark

There is a wondrous book called "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. The two main characters are almost clearly hinted to have a gay relationship, but it's never explicitly stated. There is also a lot of speculation in the fan community about it (especially since they are an Angel and a Demon...)
    But, even thought it has undertones, it's still a beautiful and hilarious book and everyone should read it! :slight_smile:

11. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, not convinced. We're told in the book that angels don't have any sexuality unless they try really hard. I think Crowley just calls Aziraphale "Angel" for his own amusement.

But I agree it's a terrific book. My favourite by Pratchett. And I should read more Gaiman.

There are plenty of LGBT characters in the Game of Thrones books. Renly and Loras are gay but closeted (and more in love in the books than on TV). Oberyn Martell is rumoured to be bi, and on TV they made him openly bisexual. There are also a couple of female characters who, though principally straight, have had homosexual dalliances - though I think they'll be cut from the show.

There's some debate among fans as to whether Brienne should be seen as a trans man. I don't think she is, though she strongly rejects her conventional gender role and has been paying a heavy price in intolerance for that. Also in the 5th book there is a minor character who is intersex. Admittedly she is part of a slaver's freak show, but she's not unsympathetically drawn.

12. Deaderpool2

Damn you beat me too it :eusa_doh:
    it is an awesome series and whilst the gay and lesbian characters may not necessarily be main characters they do have important roles in the story and kick some serious ass when needs be. I cannot recommend that series enough, i mean the books got trailers for each one, both us and uk versions. there was talk of it being adapted into a tv series but the rumours seemed to have stopped unfortunately.