1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jello, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Jello

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I posted like yesterday but today I felt really depressed. I feel an empty pit in my stomach. I came so close to relief my mom, but I decided not to. I felt so sick today I can home from school and just went to sleep. I really want to tell just 1 person... I have a friend at school and I really trust him I just don't know if I should tell him. I've never seen him express hate towards anyone (other than his sis) and I feel like I NEED to tell someone because I'm just really sad right now, but I'm not ready to tell family. Should I tell him?

2. blackhatguy

About a month and a half ago, one of my friends came out to a few people. I came out to him the next day, by text, and after I told him, I lay on my bed shaking for about 40 minutes. It took a while, but eventually I felt so much better, and I think I slept better that night than I had in years. It's also really helpful to have someone to talk things over with.

I don't know if your friend is straight or not. If he isn't, he'd probably appreciate an ally. If he's straight, he should still be ok with it, but you are taking a risk.

If you're a religious person I'd suggest you pray about it, if you're not religious maybe some quiet time to think/meditate about it, if you can get in a quiet sort of mood, which is hard when you're dealing with this sort of thing.

If I were you, I'd do it. You'll probably feel a lot better. And I wish you the absolute best luck with this, I think you'll do fine

3. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    If you feel that he is a trustworthy friend than he's probably a better candidate than anyone else.

4. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel as though you ought to tell this friend of your orientation. If you trust him as you say, you should share this with someone. If you feel that telling him in person would be too hard, give him a letter or send him an e-mail or text.

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

sounds like you were close to telling you're mom. why not risk it, and tell her. that will be a bigger relief, and it might take off some of the pressure that you're feeling

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You talk like someone who has reached the point where it will hurt more to stay in the closet than to be honest and open about yourself. A best friend is usually a good place to start, and telling him may make it easier to have the conversation you need to have with your mom, by knowing you will have his support when you do so.

7. blackhatguy

I know the first day or so after I came out to my friend, and later to some of my facelulz friends, I was nervous and jittery for a while, but later, I felt So. Much. Better. If you're not ready, I've heard it's not a good thing, but when you are, you feel liberated.

8. RelaxedDude97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you know for sure that your friend is trustworthy and understanding, tell him. I recently came out to one of my straight friends too and i can tell you it's such a relief when you have someone you can talk to. I'm sure telling your friend will only benefit you.

So go and tell him, you can do it!