1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes of where you're from?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, Mar 3, 2015.

1. monome

So for me it would be:

1. Vodka drinker
    2. Devout roman catholic
    3. Conservative
    4. Currently working or living in UK or Ireland :wink:

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1 We are wicked smaht
    2 We can't drive
    3 We are all Irish
    4 We eat Dunkin Donuts everyday
    5 Fuck the Yankees
    6 We are all drunk(See #3)
    7 We are all white
    8 We are all Catholic

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *Really friendly and nice
    *Say eh
    *Is a miner or has a miner family member
    *Lives in igloo and rides polar bears :slight_smile:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Northern Pennsylvania, and I honestly can't think of any. The only one I can think of is that we're all fans of The Office...that's it.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm originally from Puerto Rico (though was only a year old when we moved out).

I think they are stereotyped to be very aggressive people. Which isn't far from the truth, according to my mother. They like fighting and causing havoc. According to those stereotypes.

Now I'm in the Southern US. And every American stereotype is true here. They're ignorant, fat, unintelligent, fast food lovers... Everything.

I do not really identify with those cultures so...
    But really, I do not fit the expectations or stereotypes of someone from any place. I'm just me.

6. tulipinacup

That we are Pacific Islanders (which isn't true at all)

That most of the people who go abroad works as a maid or any blue collared job (which is kinda true and I have no idea why Filipinos are insulted by it but mostly they think that being a maid is something to be ashamed of when these workers work hard earn a LOT and get really rich when they come back to the country)

We are pretty optimistic (very true)

We are pretty active in every social media (true)

7. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Isn't Toronto the most gay-friendly city in Canada? And Much Music Headquarters (tons of concerts).

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about the way we say "youse guys"?

Or how the first day of deer season is considered a legitimate holiday?

We eat everything with only three spices - salt, pepper, and ketchup.

Fire hall wedding receptions - complete with polka music.

Birch beer is like our official state beverage - next to cheap beer in bulk sized boxes.

We refer to our state as PA.

We eat hoagies, pierogies, tastycakes, and dippy eggs.

We're predominantly unemployed.

Hershey's chocolate is superior to the confectionery creations of world's finest chocolatiers.

Oh, and the potholes. We need a national relief effort to fix them, because our potholes are the size of craters.

9. PurpleGrey

Catsup is a spice. :lol:

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a Michigander. We'll show you where we're from on our hand. We measure distance by how long it takes to get there instead of miles. (Detroit is about an hour south of my hometown) We know how to pronounce Charlevoix, Mackinac, Sault Saint Marie, Dowagiac, Ishpeming, Kalamazoo, Clio, Charlotte, and Ypsilanti. We don't have potholes, we have Olympic-sized swimming pools. We drive 80 in a blizzard and we laugh at those folks down south who freak out over a quarter inch of snow. We hate Ohio State, and a good portion of us works for Ford, General Motors, or Chrysler. We've got a lot of natural beauty, but most people have only seen images of Detroit's urban decay, or Flint, where the water is brown and will give you a rash, but you'll still receive your monthly $150 water bill. We're Michiganders, and we're a tough breed. But all in all, we're still your folksy Midwesterners that make up the plot of most sitcoms.

#50 AwesomGaytheist, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Those stereotypes about northern ireland :tantrum: I've been there, it's just awful what you guys have to endure. I love the accent by the way.

Ok, stereotypes about germany... Obviously we must be all nationalist, extremists and racists... There is still such people here, but we would go great lenghts to prove we are not racists.

Being cold. Yup, germans are not italians, and that can be a good thing.

Beer drinkers and eating sausages... Lots of vegans here. The beer stereotype is kind of true, we even got a law about purity.

Being headstrong and unable to improvise. Kind of true, but on the other hand we excel at planning. Not everyone here is a robot by the way, that's the worse stereotype on germans.

12. choirsmash

The spice thing is worse in berks county...literally everything is so bland, the tiniest bit of paprika is too much for these people

13. Criss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pizza, pasta, mafia, going to school/work on a red Vespa, gesturing like a madman (pretty true actually), latin lovers

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget the wine.. :thumbsup:

15. Maria1679

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm from West Virginia so I must be: illiterate, drive a muddy camo painted 4x4 redneck truck with huge over-sized tires and a lift kit requiring a ladder just to get in the cab all held together by rust, bondo, and chrome tape complete with a Confederate flag flyin' off the back, racist, a WVU Mountaineers fan (absolutely not), love beer, dip snuff, bbq groundhog and 'possums, an ultra conservative religious fanatic, wear muddy cowgirl boots and Daisy Dukes all the time (never going to happen...ever), chow down on pepperoni rolls (which are gross)and only have 1/2 of my own teeth, and only listen to Willie Nelson, Hank Jr., and Patsy Cline.

How much of that is true you ask?...I own a pair of boots, have a 4x4 truck as my second vehicle which is awesome in the 10 inches of snow that's on the ground since last night, and I have been know to listen to Patsy Cline on occasion. Oh, and I bbq but only what I can buy at grocery store... unless it's deer meat. Well, crap, maybe I am a redneck... but I have all my own teeth.

#55 Maria1679, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  16. 101DeadRoses

Let's see... The stereotypes are that where I am, the people are racist, bible-thumping, stinking, snaggle-toothed Farmer Joes with a lack of education and a disrespect for those who are different.

The stereotypes are true.

Ninety-eight percent of the general population around here right there. The two percent are about twelve people in West Plains.

17. timo

Congrats, you just picked the three I don't like :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And yes - Dutch people are greedy. I see it in my job all the time now. Am I greedy? Sometimes. It depends on the circumstances.

18. AlamoCity

Oh lord, TEXAS.

We are all Republican- Yeah, the plurality will vote Republican and all our state officeholders are Republican; at the state congress level, due to gerrymandering it is also heavily Republican, but it will slowly become a more burgundy, than red, state. I personally vote "purple," except for the damn State Board of Education. God knows it'll be a hundred years till I give a vote to a Republican who wants to be in charge of what goes on in our science textbooks.

We all own ranches. Not really, most people don' live on ranches; my grandparents and back did, thought.

We all listen to country music. Eh, well, my music collection is 95% country, but many people listen to diverse music.

Everyone is in the oil business. Not really, :lol:, though my grandparents were paid by an oil company to perform tests to see if there was oil (none was found).

Everyone speaks with a drawl. Not really, especially in the cities. I can't really detect an accent in most of my friends, but outside of Texas, it seems people do pick up on any slight accent you may have.

The weather sucks. Depends. Natives can get used to it but a 105 with 100% humidity is hell. In fact, there was a Union general who said, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."

Whataburger is the best fast food burger place. YES.

Everyone rides horses, wears cowboy boots, and jeans. Yes on the jeans, sometimes on the cowboy hats, rarely on horses. I haven't been on a horse since I was younger. However, a rather disproportionate amount of people do drive trucks.

Friendliness. I do find Texans to be rather friendly, compared to other places.

People are uneducated. Well, I don't consider myself to be such a person, but there are many people here who can be viewed as such. I don't know if to blame the people or the education system. Texas DOES need school reform.

Everyone uses y'all. In the words of my sister, "yaasssss."

Everyone drinks tea and eats barbecue. Yeah, barbecue joints (there is a difference between BBQ and "grilling"). I tend to have brisket about twice a week. Sweet (iced) tea is also ubiquitous.

19. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    portuguese stereotypes (some are simply misconceptions foreign people seem to have acquired about us, but whatever):
    • we're all very catholic
    • we drink - A LOT
    • we speak very loudly with one another
    • often confused with Spaniards (so spanish stereotypes are usually attributed to us, as well)
    • the belief that portuguese women have moustaches (when they have no less facial hair than an ordinary female...)
    • elegant women - I find this to be quite true, all modesty aside (note that it's the "women" who are elegant, not the obnoxious prepubescent and teenage girls)
    • latin americans seem to think that we have awesome pastry skills
    • Brittish people's favorite holiday place
    • we're all somehow associated with the mob
    • people like our oranges (?)
    • sad, pessimistic and melancholic - traits mostly associated with Fado (look it up)
    • passionate about football
    • speak primarily in Old Proverbs and sayings
    • dark hair
    • good fish
    • we have extremely good-looking men
    • we're all dumb, ignorant and lazy ( -.- )
    • we hate Brazil
    • we worship Brazil
    • bread is mandatory during every meal

no for some stereotypes aimed at the northern part of the country, mostly Porto - my hometown:
    • we always make the sound "b" when it should be "v" - almost like spanish people
    • we're very violent and take pride in our cidade invicta
    • we hate Lisbon
    • we should be the capital of the country
    • we shouldn't be the capital of the country
    • woman are very honest and courageous (plus, beautiful)
    • we're hard-working, as opposed to the more southern regions known to be "lazy"

20. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's hard to deny some of the stereotypes about the UK as they are so apparent. However, we do not all speak like the Queen.