1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my straight friend I love her as a joke?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Meatballs, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi, a little while ago (like half an hour) I was saying goodbye to my friend and accidentally said 'okay bye, I love you.' It wasn't being serious, I don't even remotely like her, but I'm afraid she'll act differently around me now. Even when she found out I was gay, she didn't stop hugging me, doing my hair, etc, which I thought was great, but now I think it'll be so awkward. Especially since straight after I was like 'NO! Omigosh, I don't! It was a joke! Nononono, I don't like you!' which makes it seem kind of suspicious. Should I try to explain or just leave it alone?

2. lyjo

Haha you freaked out because of that? Oh well, you overreacted a bit there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I say "I love you" all the time to my friends, because I say it to my family all the time. Don't mention it, and don't get all awkward. If she brings it up, laugh it off with her and who knows, maybe it'll become an inside joke :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Don't worry about it. :slight_smile:

3. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well... Some of my friends know that I like guys, I still call them with cute names or say I'm gonna "ravage their ass" or that I love them... Usually if you're in a good relationship there is no reason for them to misunderstand you.

If you feel like she's overthinking, try to listen to this with her and then to tell her that you love her:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJVt8kUAm9Q

I think that she'll get what you meant.

4. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, I suppose I did freak out a bit. :wink: She looked really horrified when I told her, lol. I'll just not to mention it unless she does. Thanks so much everyone!

5. CyanChachki

It doesn't seem that bad. If she hasn't stopped hugging you then she probably doesn't mind. People say "I love you" more in a family way all the time. If you said that you didn't like her that way, she probably thought just that and if I'm wrong, then be honest with her and say that it was just a force of habit and there was nothing meant by it. It shouldn't boil down to a deal breaker or anything so try not to worry about it. :slight_smile: