1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and Confused

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by axelkyle, Mar 1, 2015.

1. axelkyle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, :help: :confused:
    I have just discovered I am a FTM. Only my mum, Psychiatrist and a friend know. And I am still in school. How did you do it? Go against school rules and wear the males uniform? Use a alternate name that you prefer to your real name? Buy male clothes? When did you start the T, if you started during school? How to fully come out to family members? I want to know how you coped during school and what not. Or did you wait until after school?
    Thanks for reading and responding. My responces might take a bit as I am currently in a school lesson :icon_wink

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I was lucky to get to go to a school where uniforms don't exist, so I wear androgynous clothes some days and male clothes other days. I really want to use my chosen name in school, but I'm not out to them yet and can't, so I'm just slogging along with my birth name. I did buy male clothes while out shopping with a friend. It helps if you have a trustworthy friend to support you. T is a tricky subject with me, because... Since I'm an athlete, a runner, I can't go on T without competing on the boy's team, and I don't want to do that. Competition is much harsher on the boy's side; and even though the T would catch up and make me as fast as I would be if I were born a boy, the girls need me (I don't think we'd have a team otherwise, my school is small). I am out to my parents, but any other family doesn't know yet. I'm seeing a therapist right now to make sure I am really trans and after I become sure, I will come out to everyone. Chances are I join college as a boy, with a fresh new start, which means I'll be riding through the rest of high school as a girl (a really tomboyish one, though) and just making sure of everything before I transition into college and into being a boy.

#2 Tai, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  3. Cam7125

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not sure if my experiences will be particularly helpful, but please know that I'm always here for you if you ever want to talk.

I identify as gender, and I'm biologically male. I started by telling a few close friends, and it branched off from there. I didn't go to a school with uniforms, but if I were to give you advice there, I would say keep using the women's uniform until you're ready and comfortable, and then go using the male uniform and rock it! :grin: I have my friends call me by my middle name, Cameron, which is more gender neutral than my first name. If you have a masculine name that you prefer, see if your friends are comfortable using it for you. 99.99999% of the time, they'll be okay with it!

For family members, it's great that you were able to tell your mom! I'm not out to my family, so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice there.

I hope my experiences helped you in some way. Like I said before, I'm always here to talk should you ever want/need to. Keep on being awesome!

4. axelkyle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks @Tai and @Cam7125! Both of you were very helpful! Thanks! And you two are lucky, no uniform! Our school girls have to wear a blouse, tie and skirt! It's disgusting! @Tai , I like the idea, start college as a male!

5. Queero

I may not have a school uniform, but there have been plenty of times that I was expected to wear women's formal attire (dress, hose, heels), and if you're not ready to wear the boy's uniform, you can always pretend you're a drag queen. I know it sounds funny, but that's how I got through many events when I was younger.

If you feel like you're ready and you want to wear the boy's uniform then go ahead and shine.

I hope this helps you, or at least gives you a laugh.