1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers: do you hide yourself when you're writing your stories?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DoubleSoul, Feb 28, 2015.

?

Do you hide your compositions?

1. Yes, I hide them from the others.

76.7%
  2. No, I let people read them.

23.3%
  1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought this thread was going to be about being careful not to inject traits of yourself and other people into characters/stories. I even switch up the speech-patterns. Perhaps showing a little bit of my 'soul' is unavoidable.

I had a character that was kind of a self-insert when I was a kid. He was this cybernetic blue dragon that performed experimental operations without anesthetic. I fear that people got an unsettling insight into my psyche.

Yes, I keep most of my stories to myself because I always think "it's not good enough." Plus sometimes I need a beta reader to make sure it isn't too messed-up. And I tell good stories (ask anyone that hears my excuses/justifications LOL) but I feel insecure about my grammar.

2. Mickz

Yes I hide my writing, only my best friend is allowed to read them. My family won't approve of my writings....

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This, more or less...
    I write for myself mostly nowadays, and when I decide to share it is only with someone who knows beyond the average reader, like a language teacher, or a writer. My standards of quality when it comes to writing (on my mother tonge) are very high.

I'm not rushing or expecting to publish ever, 'cause after all I never made a living out of it on the past (main reason the standards I mentioned, lack of self confidence on this area, even after being encouraged, plus I also like my job, and I don't want to be forced to give it up ever, my real job is part of who I am).

But I'd pester you with my drawings and comics anytime...

4. TwoWays

Yes I hide my work, Becuase a lot of it is raunchy and has all my (sexual) fantasies in it, don't judge, please I'm begging you don't judge!!! :wink:

I've shown a couple of pages to my boyfriend, the pages which he is in and his reaction is always ahhhh. But apart from that, it is kept locked away all the time from everyone. Deep in a vault, many hundreds of metres below the ground. :slight_smile:

5. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Yup i try to hide them which is pretty damn hard if you're sharing a room with two people that like to pry around in other peoples things.(seriously my little brother asks me about stuff in my dustbin...)

6. Rainbows~Exist

I only show my work when it is done.

7. Kabuki

I don't mind sharing my work with some people. I don't really share it with my family, though. Most of the time I share it with some very close friends, although I have no one (close friends) that find interest in stories so there's no one right now.

Now, I wouldn't mind letting someone, very close to me, to read it and give some feedback about it. I appreciate when others give their opinion, even if it's not what I want to hear. But that always lets me see flaws and other things that I missed because of bias towards it, etc.

So, even though I don't mind sharing my stories, I'm also wary of who to show them to because of the chance my ideas would get copied, etc.