1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Villain Quotes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jellal, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Jellal

Villains tend to say really quotable things. What are some of your favorite villainous quotes?

My favorite villain line is "Welcome to my world!" that Shadar says in Ni no Kuni.

Nothing too deep on its own, and it requires A LOT of context to explain. I love it so much.
    Skip this massive essay of text if you don't want spoilers.

Anyway, it's super-effective for a lot of reasons. First off, it's the case of taking a line that was used earlier and changing the context completely. It's first used by the boy hero Oliver's fairy companion Drippy when he's introducing Oliver to his world—they show this in the trailer of the game, too. The first time it's used, it's to evoke a sense of wonder at a new beginning in discovering a strange new fantasy world with exciting possibilities.

Oliver goes on this long quest to defeat Shadar, the dark wizard threatening this 'other world.' Shadar's deal is that long ago he was an aspiring young wizard who was put through the hell of war and lost his idealism, and came to believe that nothing good came to those who cared for others and that the world was rotten. He used magic to prolong his life and used his long life gathering dark power to devastate the world. Shadar claims that he will teach even Oliver, the 'pure hearted one,' what it means to be in the depths of despair.

As Oliver goes on his long adventure to reach Shadar, he learns how the people in this 'other world' are connected to the people that live in his own home world. They're called soul mates because they share the same soul. For example, a cat in Oliver's home world is a giant cat king in the 'other world.' When one of these soul mates 'dies,' the other one dies as well.

Oliver, the legendary 'pure hearted hero,' finally confronts the corrupt wizard Shadar, but he's in for a big surprise when Shadar reveals his identity as Oliver's soul mate (which is an awesome plot twist, since the story tries to make you suspect that Shadar is Oliver's father.) Oliver learns he is only the pure-hearted one not due to any virtue of his own, but because he naturally exists to balance the evil that Shadar represents. What's more, because Shadar used magic to prolong his own life's existence, Oliver had gone through his own personal cycle of life and death time and time again, unable to retain memories from his previous lives. At that point, Oliver realizes his dilemma; if he destroys Shadar, it will also be his own undoing. But if he turns away, Shadar will continue to use his magic to torment the people of the other world. Naturally, this is a LOT of existential bullshit for a little kid to take in at once, even after all he's been through. Now he has to make the true life or death decision.

With his back to the wall, Oliver decides to go through with putting down Shadar anyway. Then there's this great, great exchange of dialogue:

Shadar: "I will say it once again ...
    If you destroy me, it will be the end of you.
    Do you truly mean to fight?"

Oliver: "I don't care anymore!"

Shadar: "HA HA HA HA! :badgrin: In that case, let me welcome you ... to my world."

Shadar takes that old quote from Drippy the fairy and changes it so that it's not about a fresh new beginning anymore, but about facing the worst end possible, the kind where your naivete and concern/attachment for what you live to defend goes to die right before you do. At the end, like Shadar, who stopped caring long ago and descended into utter nihilism, Oliver can't afford to care about his own life any longer. Shadar made good on his promise and forced Oliver to feel deep despair at the unfair rules of the world he fights to protect. He has a taste of what it's like to be Shadar, who IS him—the other him. "Welcome to my world" indeed.

That's why it's my favorite villain quote. It's the essence of the old "break the cutie" trope.

#1 Jellal, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can pretty much guarrentee these will all be from The Joker.

"In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed and blew it out." This is just evil.

(As Nightwing pummels him) "Aw... Jeez... I hit Jason a lot harder than that. (Pause) His name was Jason, right?" BOOM! Oooh the feels

But this is where the true Joker lies I think: "Both of us trying to find meaning in a meaningless world! Why be a disfigured outcast when I can be a notorious Crime God? Why be an orphaned boy when you can be a superhero?"

3. MisterTinkles

Catwoman (from Batman Returns)--

I don't know about you, Miss Kitty, but I feel so much yummier.

You poor guys. Always confusing your pistols with your privates.

As Selina Kyle --

Honey, I'm home! Oh, I forgot. I'm not married.

It's the so-called "normal" guys who always let you down. Sickos never scare me. Least they're committed.

4. Lazuri

I'm going to jump on the Joker bandwagon and list two quotes from "The Killing Joke."

"When you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. Forever."

The second is more speech than a quote, but just taking one or two lines out of this thing would diminish its importance. When I read this comic and the Joker pulled this speech, it's when I realized how much depth his character actually has. I recommend reading "The Killing Joke" to just about everybody.

"So... I see you received the free ticket I sent you. I'm glad. I did so want you to be here. You see it doesn't matter if you catch me and send me back to the asylum... Gordon's been driven mad. I've proved my point. I've demonstrated there's no difference between me and everyone else! All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once, am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed. Why else would you dress up as a flying rat? You had a bad day, and it drove you as crazy as everybody else... Only you won't admit it! You have to keep pretending that life makes sense, that there's some point to all this struggling! God you make me want to puke. I mean, what is it with you? What made you what you are? Girlfriend killed by the mob, maybe? Brother carved up by some mugger? Something like that, I bet. Something like that... Something like that happened to me, you know. I... I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! Ha ha ha! But my point is... My point is, I went crazy. When I saw what a black, awful joke the world was, I went crazy as a coot! I admit it! Why can't you? I mean, you're not unintelligent! You must see the reality of the situation. Do you know how many times we've come close to world war three over a flock of geese on a computer screen? Do you know what triggered the last world war? An argument over how many telegraph poles Germany owed its war debt creditors! Telegraph poles! Ha ha ha ha HA! It's all a joke! Everything anybody ever valued or struggled for... it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?"

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Azula: Do the tides command this ship?
    Fire Navy Ship Captain: I'm afraid I don't understand.
    Azula: You said the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in. Do the tides command this ship?
    Fire Navy Ship Captain: No, Princess.
    Azula: And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about smashing you against the rocky shore?
    Fire Navy Ship Captain: No, Princess.
    Azula: Well then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over.

---

Mr. Freeze: The snow is beautiful, don't you think? Clean, uncompromising...
    Batman: And cold.
    Mr. Freeze: Like the swift hand of vengeance.
    Batman: I saw what happened to your wife. I'm sorry.
    Mr. Freeze: I am beyond emotions. They've been frozen dead in me.
    Batman: That suit you wear - a result of the coolant?
    Mr. Freeze: Very good; a detective to the last. I can no longer survive outside a sub-zero environment. Tonight, I mean to pay back the man who ruined my life... our lives.
    Batman: Even if you have to kill everyone in the building to do it?
    Mr. Freeze: Think of it, Batman: to never again walk on a summer's day, with the hot wind in your face and a warm hand to hold. Oh, yes. I'd kill for that.

---

Grant Walker: Do you realize that in your half-frozen state, you will age more slowly than an ordinary human? You're practically immortal, my friend!
    Mr. Freeze: Yes, eternal life trapped in this wretched shell! What a miserable joke.
    Grant Walker: Miserable to you, but a godsend to me. Look at me, Mr. Freeze, I'm an old man. I've created wonders in my lifetime, but there is still so much to do! I want to change as you have. To become, like you, a being of blessed, eternal cold.
    Mr. Freeze: You're insane.
    Grant Walker: Only you know how to duplicate the accident that made you what you are. What I long to become!
    Mr. Freeze: *grabs Walker* You want to live like this? Abandoned and alone? A prisoner in a world you can see but never touch? *drops Walker and turns away* Old and infirm as you are, I'd trade a thousand of my frozen years for your worst day.

I could type this out, but it would do no justice to it:

[YOUTUBE]cKEfoC4tvJg[/YOUTUBE]

Just The Joker, in one of his best appearances.​

Frieza: There are three things I refuse to tolerate: cowardice, bad haircuts, and military insurrection. And it is unfortunate that our friend Vegeta possesses all three of these.

---

Vegeta: There is no fair or unfair in battle. There is only victory -- or, in your case, defeat.

---

Recoome: The name's Recoome, it rhymes with doom, and you'll be hurting all too soon!

6. Romi

I always loved this scene. She's so boss.

Anyway, there are SO MANY villains that I could quote, but here's a few that come to mind right away at the moment.

Kuja : Final Fantasy IX
    Peace is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past... Though we hope for promising years. After shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears. And while the moon still shines blue, by dawn, it will turn to scarlet hue.

Wensicia Corrino : Children of Dune
    Don't you find it interesting Jessica, how the sins of the mother bloom in the children they bear?

Now she isn't necessarily a villain, but it's very much one of those 'eye of the beholder' sort of things.

Orochimaru : Naruto
    It's human nature not to realize the true value of something, unless they lose it.

Either people change or they die before they do. It's one or the other.

7. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bond: Do you expect me to talk?

Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!

----------------------------------------------------
    Trevelyan: What can't you be a good boy and die?
    ----------------------------------------------------

8. Gallatin

"Hey, Uncle Scar, will I like this surprise?"

"Simba, it's to die for!"

9. Zombi3

"The novelty of this encounter has officially worn off" - Mongul DC

10. MisterTinkles

Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep) from Devils Wears Prada

"Is there some reason my coffee isn't here? Has she died or something?"

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2015 at 05:49 PM ----------

It (Tim Curry), the clown from the TV movie It

"I'm every nightmare you've ever had. I'm your worst dream come true. I'm everything you were ever afraid of".

11. Romi

Continuing with Scar....

Yes. Well, forgive me for not leaping for joy. Bad back, you know.

And of course, every word of the song Be Prepared was just fantastic. Scar is a wonderful villian, in my opinion.

12. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it. - Dr. Evil

13. Ryu

Ryu

So who are the villains in tokyo ghoul and gintama? No one's really portrayed as a villain or a hero...

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'll add my personal favorite joker Quote since everyone else put theirs.

From Batman: Under The Red Hood, to Jason Todd and Batman -

"Gotta give the boy points. He came all the way back from the dead to make this shindig happen! So, who's got a Camera? Ooh, ooh!~ Get one of the kid first, then you and me, then the three of us!~ and then one with the crowbar..."

Hilarious, and pure evil at the same time, if you know what he's referring to. Joker in spades

15. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not a batman fan, but I dig the Joker.

"Why so serious ?", it totally is the way I see the world. There are no point in anything, so well, just go and have fun.

16. White Knight

"They wish to cure us. But I say to you we are the cure!"

"What do you know of my sufferings?! Allow me to show you real pain and anger!"

"Whatever comes, I and mine will not go like lambs to the slaughter -- but like tigers!"

"Right now, the world doesn't need heroes. It needs villains."

"I’ve been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again."

“You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different.”

"I? I am Power! Men call me Magneto!"

Magneto, Master of Magnetism.

"Lemme get this straight...I mess with the head o' the world's greatest telepath...I use an' abuse a junior X-Man...I massage Braddock's innards with my claws...an' still you dweebs think I'm some kinda reclamation project. Heh. Who's in denial, McCoy?"

"I've been ready to die since before you was born!"

"Brings back memories, doesn't it, Weapon Ⅹ? Oh, wait, my mistake......no it doesn't, does it? Guess nothing brings back those memories-- "

Victor "Sabretooth" Creed

"Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power, for identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel. "

Loki

17. PurpleGrey

"Especially Lisa! But especially Bart!" Silly quotes are silly.

"Put them in someplace." This one's Psycho, I really like the delivery of this line in both versions. Pointed in the original, and the remake gets across the attitude about it that Norman Bates sees. It's hard to put into words.

"Life's full of tough choices, innit?"

"Have you ever heard of insect politics? Neither have I." Okay, so Brundlefly isn't exactly a villain, but he does become one more and more as the fly DNA takes over, so, whatever.

18. tscott

From the book and the movie, "Ghost Story":

"I'm going to take you places you've never seen before. Show you things you've never seen before. I'm going to suck the life out of you."

- Alma Mobley

This is one of the most shocking lines in the story, because we don't really know the true evil behind it. As she is about engage in an evening of passion, it first comes across as merely seductive; until we find out she's our ghost and plotting revenge on her old college beaux.

From the book and movie, "Silence of the Lambs"

After Hannibal has had his interview with the female senator whose daughter is being held by Buffalo Bill, and describing the phantom pain she must feel in her nipples due to the disappearance of her daughter; he is bound and wearing the iconic protective leather mask being wheeled on the hand truck back to his plane after a horrified senator dismisses him. He turns his face back to the senator and says to her, "By the way senator, great suit!" It's always chilling when a monster observes the niceties. Don't you think? Makes them human...more like us.

#18 tscott, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does Cigarette Smoking Man from X-Files count?

[YOUTUBE]0acEl97ZBME[/YOUTUBE]

Also, anything Jubal Early says.

#19 Browncoat, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  20. Ybelira Inias

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Almost everything Izaya from Durarara! says. He has some epic quotes like:
    "If you truly want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve".
    And there are some not-so-epic quotes, like this one.....
    "Well, hurting girls isn't a hobby of mine. That's why i'll make it my hobby...to stomp on their cell phones."