1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been told you're "too young" to know your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TENNYSON, Feb 18, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think it's true?

What do you say to that when someone says that to you?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever I was 15 or 16, yeah. Nowadays, not really. And yeah, it's BS when someone says you're too young. You know more about your sexuality than anyone else.

4. YunoGasai

iv been told that i haven't had enough experience to know if im bi.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I've been asked if I changed my mind. I was pretty pissed...

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually had a guy online tell me that I need to have sex with a girl before I know that I'm gay. As if that would alter someone's sexuality. I've known it for a long time. A lot of people who talk about homosexuality have no idea what they're talking about.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No, but I've seen it happen all the time and It's stupid. By this logic, any 14 year old boy is too young to know he's straight, and if he thinks he's interested in girls then he's full of shit until he grows up.

8. PossumJack

Well, I've been told I can't know my gender for sure at 17. I've also been told there's no way I can be both gay and transgender at the same time, if that counts.

9. AlexPanda94

AlexPanda94 Guest

My mom told me that when I came out at 18 and I was just like, at 18 you were married to dad... How do I not know what I want at 18?

10. MouseKeeper

If "You haven't met the right person yet." counts as calling me too young to know my asexuality, then yes.

11. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Yes I have been told that I was "too young" to know what my sexuality is. At first I was offended because I felt that I wasn't being taken seriously. But once I thought about it for a while the person that said that may have a point. I do think that sometimes there are cases where we are too young to know about our sexuality. There have been cases where some people come out later either due to repression or it just didn't occur to them earlier about their sexuality. Some people might disagree about my opinion but I think there's a lot of factors that contributes to a person sexuality. Sexuality can either be determined by experience, "environment", genetic or all of the above. Although I don't have provable evidence so I am not 100% positive about my statement. Regardless, a lot of kids or teens probably don't even know what sexuality is. Sometimes I don't even know exactly what the definition of sexuality is. I've seen some terms on here where they are emotionally attach to the same sex and sexually attracted to the opposite. So what would their sexuality be considered? Straight but emotionally attached to the same-sex? It's confusing. But honestly I never cared so much for the labels if either I like a man or woman in my bed. All I know is that I just ended up having this intense emotional and sexual connection with the same-sex. All in all, I think this topic is debatable. I am not 100% certain about my statement (or if my statements even made sense at all) but it's a topic I would look more into. (Excuse me if I may have been off-tangent at some parts) (!)(!)(!)

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's never happened to me but I'm wondering if heterosexual people get told that. That's not a knock on heterosexual people

13. Ixaxilia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk if this counts but I got told I was a lesbian just for now because apparently being a lesbian only during college is a thing?
    Seems kind of weird.

14. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess people think women "experiment" during college. But that sounds pretty dismissive to me. I've already encountered a few people who told me I'm "confused". I think they're the ones who are confused...

15. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I've never been on the receiving end of that statement but it annoys me to no end! Straight people know who they are attracted to before sex, why should gay people be any different!

16. Ixaxilia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. :dry:

17. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but I am 34 after all.

Happy days :slight_smile:

18. thesecretcat

My mum told me not to label myself too soon which seems like pretty decent advice as she wasn't dismissing the fact that I am lesbian. If I was told that I'm 'too young' to know, then I would be pissed... Straight people at the age of 13/14 know if they want a girlfriend/boyfriend and no one questions it, but if a LGBT person wants a relationship then they are quizzed about it! Seems stupid to me :wink:

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never talked about my sexuality or gender with adults, 'cause I knew their answers, same for my schoolmates or friends, I knew they probably were as confused as myself.
    When I had questions, I tried to find the answer on books.

20. CyanChachki

I have before, yes. Not only was it frustrating but it was exhausting having to try and explain to people that it was just who I was and nothing could change it. I suppose for some people they believe it because they had trouble figuring themselves out and maybe that's what they mean but not everyone has trouble figuring it all out. Some people just know and that's it, really.