1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes, I hate being gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PositivelyMe, Feb 15, 2015.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the only queer member of my family. Most of them are homophobic, and I'm not close with my parents; when I came out to my mother, she said I should seek help. This weekend, I was home to meet my uncle's new baby. I stayed over their house, and my cousins made so many homophobic comments, like:

1) Neil Patrick Harris had weak sphincter muscles
    2) Stop being so f****** gay

There were more, I kind of tried to tune them out. It's so hard knowing they might not love me or want me near them if they knew the truth, because I love them so much

2. CrazyAwkward

I'm sorry. That's a hard situation to be in. Some people in my family casually use gay slurs, and that's hard to hear even though I know they don't mean them in a harmful way, so I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I wish there was something I could say to make things seem better, but I don't think there are any words that can do that. But here is a hug (*hug*) If you ever feel like you need to vent about things feel free to message me. And I hope that, maybe, if you ever come out to more of your family that might help change their opinion on LGBT+ people.

3. Spaceman

So sorry to hear about your situation. It must be really tough. There's no denying that you risk losing them if you come out to them. But it's also true that you could be the person who changes the way they feel about gay people and gets them to think twice before using gay slurs. Once homophobes discover someone who they love and admire is gay it becomes so much harder for them to keep on hating. It's a big reason there's been so much progress in gay rights lately. Good luck to you.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hold your head up high. (*hug*)

5. GreyIce1

If you let other people make you 'hate' yourself, you've already lost.