1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I write my novel?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by pointofnoreturn, Feb 15, 2015.

1. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I've had an idea for a novel bouncing around in my head for a while. Even tried putting it down a couple different ways. There's only one problem, really.
    It's my story, fictionalized- a Beauty and the Beast retelling. The Beast's curse is actually a medical condition (me); he falls in love with a girl named Jess (my love), who has a boyfriend (he's such a jerk to her). Eventually, as the Beast tries fighting his condition in order to spend as much time with her as he can, he has to decide whether staying is really the best thing to do- since, for every second they spend together, he comes closer to dying.
    For her, he would, though.
    I would too. How can I write it when it's happening to me? Btw, the Beast tells his story as an old man on the verge of death.
    I want to write it, but I don't know if I can.

2. Yosia

Obviously if you feel that you could NOT write it and it would hurt you too much, then its pointless attempting it. However, if you somehow can get it onto paper, then i believe that it would make for an amazing, emotional story. But only you can decide. ^.^

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely could write it. One thing to be wary of, though, is that you are properly fictionalising it when you are writing it. If there is something/someone in it who strongly resembles a real life event/person, you're going to want to make sure it's okay with the relevant people to use that information. Other than that, you're good to go! :slight_smile:

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds interesting. So if the beast pulls the beauty away from her boyfriend and then dies she gets left alone without her love, whereas if the beast leaves her and her boyfriend alone she has a chance at a long term relationship with her boyfriend but never experiences love the way it could have been. If in your story the beast isn't able to pull her away from her boyfriend, it's not a book I would want to read. :icon_wink

5. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not to sound phony or "nice just because", I'm in love with that idea. There's true creative potential in that story. It's novel and it has the chance to gain momentum when you begin writing. SO never doubt it; just write.
    The fact that you take a commonly known story brings back the pleasurable nostalgia of Disney and fairy tales and your personal twists will make an old story engaging and fascinating while still being distinctly familiar.
    If the Beast finds his Beauty he expires, but has the chance at an intense, but short-lived life. He sacrifices himself to a life of misery at the expense of his lover's happiness.
    If not, he allows his love to find a longer lasting relationship, and perhaps fulfill her life. He sacrifices his happiness and saves her from future pain, yet again another sacrifice.
    Both of these are the materials for a tragically Romantic(the belief system, not exactly love) hero.
    Please write it!! I'm already a fan because I looove Romantic and Gothic fantasy genres:thumbsup:

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way to know if you can is by doing it!

Just accept that no story was perfect the first time around.
    You have to write, rewrite, scrap, rewrite some more. Wait for a few days, then reread it, and rewrite it once again.
    Every time you write something, it might give you ideas to do the previous work better. So it's important to never lose heart.

But it all starts with putting a pen to paper (or, finger to keyboard) and writing that first sentence!

For what it's worth: I think it's a good idea that deserves to be told. So go for it!

7. Polka Dots

I'm biased because I'm a writer by trade, but I say go for it. You are the only one who can share the story in your heart; so long as its there aching to be told, grab your pen and W-R-I-T-E!

Good luck with your manuscript!

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Probably you can. The real question is if you want to.

9. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I say that I "can't", it's just because it's really painful and personal. I'm writing it to get over her, even though I know I'll never stop loving her.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you think you know how to love her, and you are willing to make her happy, even if that means or includes losing her (or letting her go with someone else), you should stop thinking about writing. You should go after her.

11. Polka Dots

I have a buddy (also a writer) who refers to life experiences as "fodder" --- losses, pain endured, failed relationships, etc. Sometimes said fodder can be the foundation of amazing stories. In my experience, scenes I've written that have left the greatest impact on my reader(s) were ones that 1.) were painful for me to write 2.) were painful for me to edit and/or read myself or 3.) any combination therein. Writing can be very therapeutic. It certainly is for me.

Although I do agree with Vodkabaret that you should let this woman know how you feel (if she doesn't already).

12. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    She knows, and she just wants to be friends. Her bf isn't a complete dick, and she loves him; chances are that whoever I marry I am not going to love, so this could help me- everything I have written so far, though, has him leaving her.

13. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I started writing a novel too, and all I can say is DON'T use real life characters and real life events, especially if you are emotionally involved in them. If you want to write your story, write it as it is, as a way to vent your emotions. But if you want to write a novel, then use completely made-up characters. Maybe "borrow" one or two character traits from real life people, but don't copy-paste them into the story, it will mess up the whole thing.

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds good to me

15. Polka Dots

This makes me very sad, pointofnoreturn. If you ever need a shoulder, please know my wall is open.