1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose your name and pronouns?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anann, Feb 14, 2015.

1. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I decided to have an androgynous name (not legally changed yet) but I still have she/her as pronouns.

2. hostileequation

Out Status:
    Some people
    I got my mum to choose my name. She doesn't know I'm a boy but I asked her what she would have called me if I was born a boy. Since then I have been known to my friends as Jamie Nathaniel *********. My friends use male pronouns for me which I love! I hate it when someone calls me she or uses my birth names.

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I searched through a lot of androgynous names and looked for meaning popularity etc. The name i chose in the end wasn't actually the one i liked the most it wasn't even on the list of possible names i made .my favourite had been shion with the meaning aster(a flower)or sound of the tide,still while i liked that name meaning and sound wise a lot it just didn't seem to fit-same with all the other names.
    Then i stumbled upon a name i knew as a child from a novel the character had become my favourite immediately simply because of his name.I actually thought it was a men's name only but i was looking it up anyway thinking about maybe having a male and a female name instead of one ambiguous one.Then i found out that the name was actually an androgynous one.Since i didn't really associated with the meaning i didn't take it into consideration and kept looking but somehow the name was stuck in my brain.The way it sounded just seemed fitting in a weird way.It made me realize that you're not searching for a name that you like more than the others or that means anything special but a name that fells like its yours.

4. Polka Dots

Years ago I stumbled upon "Felix" while researching names for one of my manuscripts. It clung to my heart --- almost as if the name had a will of its own --- and from that point on whenever I heard my birth name I caught myself replacing it with Felix in my head.

5. GayKilljoy

I'm not really out to anyone but I chose the name adrian because it's always been one of my favorite names since I can remember.

6. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't start with baby name books or naming websites like many people did, simply because I've read my two baby name books from cover to cover looking for character names. I started off with Hope because that's my middle name and I've always preferred it over olivia then one day someone here was looking for boys names beginning with S and I obliged, glancing through the names already given because I didn't want to repeat a name and Seth jumped out at me. I liked it and after a bit used it for about three months before going to Alexander - Lex actually became I'm not an A person - and quickly realised that I was far more a Seth than a Lex. So Seth I was for another four months then I felt constricted by such a masculine name and went by Ollie for about a month because it was neutral - more freer. That worked until I missed being Seth and so back to Seth I went. I also considered Leon, Gabriel, Frankie and Mikey because my parents would have used them had I been born male (first two) and they're members of my favourite band (last two).
    I've gone through countless names but even though I'm still not 100% on Seth (yes even a year on) it fits better than anything else does.

7. Margaret

I'm not trans but I am thinking of changing my name. My first name is Rachel, but Margaret is my middle name and for some unknown reason I feel more of a connection to it. I'd still let my family call me Rachel because I think asking them to remember to call me Margaret after 24 years might be very difficult for them.

8. Kye

Kye

My male name, Kyle, came to me when I was having a bit of a break down and was struggling to hold myself together- it was the first time I really acknowledged that I wasn't 100% cisgendered, and I literally just picked it out of thin air because I'd read somewhere that some trans/non-binary people liked to choose names that had the same first initial as their birth name.
    My neutral name, Kye, actually appeared when I was signing up for this very website last year- the name Kyle was taken, so I just shorten it by one letter, and I had this realization that it wasn't just a nickname for Kyle, it was a different part of my identity all together, and that's how I learnt that I was genderfluid, instead of bi-gender.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Born with this name and uh... I'm binary trans?

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I found my name through google and something just made me think: Yeah, this is me. According to pronouns...err I am a dude, I have male pronouns, pretty simple.

11. Jeanne Marie

I'm bigender, so rather than change my name I have just chosen to adopt a female version of my name, which I have asked to be referred to by when my gender flips to female. As for pronouns, I have asked those to whom I have come out to use she and her as a general rule in English, and to use the feminine versions of words when referring to me in French, alas this option doesn't exist in English.

12. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't properly changed my name but I go by Kiy as much as I can

13. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will probably never go by my chosen names, because I don't want to deal with the legal issues of changing my name on EVERYTHING, I have three kids whose birth certificates it would mess up (my mom's a genealogist so I'm really sensitive to family history records issues), and because I already have weird name issues that would only serve to confuse people even more. As it is I have a given first name, a professional name (given first name with an alternate spelling) and a personal life name (given middle name) and it makes them a bit crazy. Plus I kept changing my name as a kid, and it upset my mom (who is autistic) and I just don't want to deal with my mom feeling hurt.

However, I chose my name by going through "baby name lists" until I found something that hit home. I wanted names that could go either way, but with one leaning feminine and the other leaning masculine, to reflect my dual nature. My given first name is fantasyish, and my given middle name is more common, so I tried to follow that pattern.

I'll be sticking with she/her. I'm to old to change, and I'm not comfortable with using a plural as a pronoun for a singular person.

#53 Cailan, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  14. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I would go for they pronouns. I'm thinking of changing my name to something more unisex like Sam, Chris etc but then I get drawn towards names like Nate (yes I'm an Uncharted fan) . However as I'm agender I feel like my name should be neutral. I'm sure what to chose as I want to make sure it's something I can live with.

15. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First name: Madison, because that's what my parents would've named me.

Middle name: Brooke, because I just like that name.

Pronouns: Because I'm a nonbinary female, I thought they and she would work. I do like them.

Now, I have one more thing I need. A nickname. I can't use Maddie because there are so many of them. I was considering Emma, for 2 reasons. M is the first letter, and then the A to make it more like a real name, and it's the 2nd letter. I'm still not sure, because with every previous nickname I considered, I realized I didn't really like it. I also think Emma is a little far from Madison, but there's also a lot of other nicknames that are far from what they're nicknames for. Maybe I'll test it out online for a little bit, and decide if I like it.

16. TransParkie

Well since my birth name was Michael Eugene (Eugene was my dad's middle name). Without saying why, my wife asked him what I would have been named if I where a girl??, and his reply was Michelle... When she asked Michelle what? he replied that he couldn't remember.... So, I decided that following their original naming logic, and because I wanted to honor my mother who has been deceased for several years, I chose her middle name to always remind me of her... Thus I became... Michelle Irene H********
    Michelle

#56 TransParkie, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
  17. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm Robert at the moment i guess. It's still new to me so maybe it will change, maybe not. I'm not out but people have actually called me that and it felt right. When i tried to find a name for myself and i knew someone irl with that name it would be ruined for me but with this one it doesn't seem to matter.

As for pronouns i would like he/him but would be fine with they. My native language doesn't have gendered pronouns so it's not that important to me.

18. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Choosing my name was a long, long process. I went through tons of names: grey, chandler, ollie, jake, and then my internet friend responded dylan when i asked them what i look like to them. i instantly just knew the name seemed right, not sure how, but i did. i occasionally have times where i question if it's the best name for me, but honestly i think it's just because sometimes i want to have one of those unique kickass names, you know? xD As for pronouns, i always knew he/him fit me, whether i identified as male or nonbinary. when i identified as gq i used they/them, but soon realised whether i was ftm or nb, i still wanted he/him. It's a long and annoying process but you'll eventually figure it out.

19. Saminthenile

I am still coming to terms with my identity, but the name Sam just felt right. After I picked it, I found that it had actually been a recurring theme in my life. (I named inanimate objects, imaginary friends, characters in books Sam. Always things I felt a strong connection to.) After I picked the name, many of my friends told me it fit well and in fact I found strangers having an easier time remembering my name.

20. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Name Sascha just popped up in my head. I used to be Kolya in the beginning because that's the name my mother would have been called if she was a boy (my own parents never had a male name for me because they "were sure I'd be a girl"). So here's the connection to russian names. Sascha is the short form for Aleksander, so I chose Aleksander as name which means something like "guardian". At the Moment I think about a second name. At first I had "Aleksander Noel" for 1-2 years, now I prefer Yves Aleksander, but in the end "Aleksander" would be the only name on my new pass.