1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose your name and pronouns?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anann, Feb 14, 2015.

1. anann

For those who have have changed their name, how did you come up with your new name? Is it a name you like that fits your identity? Does it have a special connection to your family?

And for those with a non-binary identity, how did you decide what pronouns you use?

I am planning to come out as agender to the people I live with and would like to decide how I'm going to ask them to refer to me, but I'm having trouble deciding. I don't like any of the pronoun choices and I haven't decided if I want to use the other spelling of my given name or change it to a different name. It would help me to hear about how others made the decision.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love my name so I use my first 2 initials (CJ) or a shortened version (Cas). If I were to ever legally change my name I would change it to Casey James so that I could still use CJ and Cas.

I use they/their/them pronouns. It's easiest I think.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Male pronouns just seem to fit, and I loved hearing them when I was online from people as a kid. So he/him/his around these parts. I don't mind they/their/them pronouns though, and will take those over female pronouns any day of the week.

As for my name, I drew from inspiration around me. I loved Alexander for the longest time, and that's also the name of an old friend of mine who is a filmmaker who is one of the biggest reasons why I want to go for a career in the visual arts. Middle name I was on the fence with for years; going by almost everything under the sun. I considered Tobias for my dad, Jackson for my "stepdad", Joshua for my mom (which was going to be my name had I been born male) and a few others. I still get emails from people with my old middle name, which was Mason for the longest time. Currently, it's Jerick as a tribute to an actor/performer/singer who helped me get through a tough part of my depression.

4. Folieadeux

I go by Ian, and when I knew that I didn't feel comfortable with my birth names, I went through a list of names in my head to try them on. I really like the name Ian, and I thought it suited me, so yep!

He/him pronouns because that's just what I'm more comfortable with, although they/them pronouns are alright as well.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I went through lots of names before I decided on the one I use now. I wanted to find a name that fits who I am.

If I remember correctly, I was first Yume, then Kirito, then Aki, and now Masaya.
    Masaya means "elegant one" and is also considered a very masculine name. I feel most connected to that name, so I won't be changing it anymore.

6. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose the name Alex, because at first I wasn't sure if I was FTM or genderqueer and I wanted to find an androgynous and also international name to fit me and this was the first name that came to my mind. I liked it and decided to go by it.

The pronouns I prefer are he/his, but I don't mind being called they/them, I prefer it over female ones.

#6 NekoAlex, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. Chriswe

I chose my name (Chris) because... I don't know, I've just always liked the name. It just seemed like the right name for me.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I'm kinda getting a good feeling for Krissy. It's a variant of the name I've only gone by for about the past 32 years or so. I've never felt a huge disconnect with my name. Actually, kinda liked how androgynous the short form of my given name was. I do know what name my parents would have given me had I been born in the right body (they don't know I'm trans at this point), but that name doesn't feel right. Maybe because I know a few women with that name that I simply can't stand, and the name tends to remind me of them too much.

For pronouns, it's kinda been an evolution. Obvoiusly, since I'm not out, I'm kinda used to being reffered to with male pronouns. I'm a bit of a geek, and online I used the neutral pronouns from Futurama: Beast with a Billion Backs for a time, partially for humor, partially because I never truly was completely comfortable with male pronouns. I hadn't accepted my gender at that point. I'm still not quite certain about it, but female pronouns do seem right at this point.

9. sslen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Me I just went with something I thought was cute and suited me, as far as the pronouns go I'm so deep in the closest I should be in Narnia by now so I'm used to hearing male pronouns although female pronouns I think suit me the best

10. kyran98

kyran98 Guest

Well I started by finding names that fit with my surname, and since my family are Irish I decided to go down that road. I really liked the name Ciaran, but that developed into Kyran as I was looking through alternative spellings. And it sounds good shortened to Ky, too!

My pronouns were naturally he/him or they/them as female identifiers make me feel dysphoric.

11. Paisley

Well, I haven't officially changed my name, but I've always had this name on my mind. Somehow it just fits, in my minds eye or whatever, you know.

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I chose Will (William) because ever since I was young it's always popped up somewhere or another. It is the name of my favorite book character when I was in elementary school (His Dark Materials), and it's my father's middle name. Other than that, whenever I've heard it mentioned, I always felt attached to it somehow, and at that point I just assumed it was because I liked the name. It's the only name that doesn't feel fake when I call myself it in my head. I'm still not for sure about it but I'm pretty close.

I thought about Terence because it was a unique and uncommon name but it never really fit; I always felt awkward or like I was acting as a character named Terence, so I ditched it. I still really like the name, though. Just not for me.

13. Quiet Raven

I decided on Natalie. Or "Nat". At first I was thinking Raven. Just because I like the name. But it didn't seem to fit me a whole lot after really thinking about it. Nat seems to work better. Partly because it rhymes with the short version of my given name, "Matt". But also, "Natalie" just sounds right. I like it a lot.

14. FreedomWings

I'm unsure at the time but I think I might be genderfluid. On the internet I use the name Silver. When I want it to sound feminine, it does. When I want it to sound masculine, I feel like it can as well. It started off as just a name of one of my RP OCs, but now it's what my friends call me. On some days I like male pronouns, and on others I like female, although no one in my family or anything uses the male ones, since I don't think it's a good idea to tell them.

15. AlexIs94

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I chose the name Alex because it is a unisex name and being gender fluid I figured it would be easier for other people and cause less confusion. It also has variances that I like to use on my respective days such as; Alexis, Alexa, Alexia, Lexi, Xander, Lex.
    My birth name is complete different from this and I had chosen Alex for that reason but I had also learnt after I came out to my mother that she was intending to name me Alexandra if I were a girl at birth so I felt it was even more suiting with that said.

As for my pronouns, they fluctuate depending on my day. Often times though, I am having a girl day so I go be feminine pronouns (she/her/hers) but I still have days where I go by the masculine pronouns (he/his/him).

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I'm stuck on one quite yet. I've been going by Trevor in some circles. I don't know any Trevors personally. I'm not sure it suits me, and I'm not sure I'll be making a legal change with it, but for now it works, and I like it.

As far as pronouns go they don't bother me much.

17. Cam7125

Out Status:
    All but family
    I go by my neutral middle name, Cameron (Cam for short), rather than my masculine first name.

18. ANewDawn

I've started introducing myself as Lee when I meet other lgbt people because it could be short for my given name or a boys name and by itself it's fairly gender neutral. When I feel like I pass better I want to start going by Liam since it starts with the same letters as my given name and I can use the same nickname. Have also considered going by Nathan which is the boys version of my given middle name but I don't like it as much.

19. Jellal

I go by AJ, since it uses my initials and sounds gender-neutral. I figured it would be easier for people who know me to get used to this rather than making a bigger change to my name.

I do prefer being called "she," and don't like "he." But I'm not holding my breath on getting people to accept my pronouns anytime soon ... it's hard enough for them to get used to a name change.

20. KayJay

Pronouns were easy for me. My name actually kind of just happened. Before I even came out I went by Kelsey online, games, forums, etc. I just kind of picked a random name with a K and Y because I like those letters. Years later when I came out I was so used to being called Kelsey on ventrilo and stuff that I went with that name because it already felt natural. My middle name I changed as well, I made it my old first name with feminine style spelling.

It is definitely interesting to me though because I see so many posts about picking a name and I never really went through that. I wonder what name I would have picked if I did things differently.