1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Idaho’s first six same-sex marriage licenses ruled invalid

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Aldrick

Story from here.

One last "fuck you" to same sex spouses. I bet they make them pay twice.

I imagine moving forward, we are going to face two challenges when it comes to marriage once it is legal nationwide. First, they are going to try and whack us with "religious freedom" bullshit. Basically, once you are married you are easy to identify as gay, and thus easier to discriminate against. So, they are going to cry religious freedom every time they are required to have any interaction with us. Second, they are going to hit us with bureaucratic bullshit to make our lives more difficult. Once you are identified state agencies will target you for "special treatment" -- better have those taxes in order. Not to mention all the bigoted judges still on the bench, especially in lower courts. Family court is going to be a horror story throughout most of the country.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awww, I feel for those couples. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure that what they'll remember is the wedding, not the paperwork. Sucks they have to do it again, but this does not in any way set back the cause of marriage equality.

I'm... not quite sure I follow your last paragraph. It almost reads as if you fear marriage equality is the final step in an evil plot to better discriminate against GLBT people.
    I mean: yeah, knowing who's married to who is a pretty good idea of knowing who's straight and who's gay. But on the other hand, the marriage gives well-defined rights, which can now finally be legally enforced. In many cases it's the difference between having a tough case before family court and not having a case at all.

3. Aldrick

No, it does not set back the cause. We are at the point now where we have effectively won the battle for marriage equality in the United States. It is just a matter of dotting the I and crossing the T in June of this year at the Supreme Court. There is every indication that they are going to rule in favor of marriage equality nationwide, and nothing to the contrary.

However, just because they make a ruling does not mean the people who hate us are suddenly going to change their minds. They are going to engage in bullshit like what is happening to these couples right now. Basically petty retribution.

Sorry, that I was not more clear. That is not what I think -- I am not saying it is some evil conspiracy plan or anything silly like that. (Honestly, I did not even think it came off that way!) I am simply saying that even when marriage equality becomes the law of the land nationwide that bigots will still hold positions of power and influence throughout the country. As a result, they will use that power and influence to continue to persecute and harass us.

As an example, look at all the attempts to create "religious freedom" laws -- which are really laws designed to legally sanction discrimination against us. This is just one attempt. If it fails, they will look for another.

Then imagine being in a same sex marriage in a state where the majority of the people controlling the government are opposed to your marriage. You file taxes as a couple, which is one of the advantages of being married. This could open up the possibility of us being audited more than straight couples, simply to harass and punish us, and they could do this because it would be hard to prove that it had anything to do with sexual orientation.

This is what I am talking about: they still hate us. There are still places in the United States where we are deeply hated. I expect petty situations similar to the one mentioned in the article to become more common -- bureaucratic things to harass and screw with individuals who are married to someone of the same gender.

Let's face it. Marriage Equality will be the law of the land after June, but Roy Moore will still be the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court. Does anyone honestly believe that Moore is going to treat gay couples equally within the court of law, or is he -- and people like him -- going to look for "legal" ways to fuck us over? I think they are going to look for "legal" ways to make our lives as difficult as possible.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are far too many gay couples all across the country-surprisingly not just in the South-where gay couples won't be getting married in June because they'll be married on Tuesday, and then fired from their job and evicted from their apartment on Wednesday.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things like this are why I'm glad I'll be leaving the States within the year.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It seems like it's more of a legal issue. The couples can just get another marriage license. I don't see much reason to be concerned about it.

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Just go to the Courthouse pick up a new license have the JP do a quick "do you take" ceremony, sign it, then go on about you life. When you talk about your marrage continue acting like the first one counted.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think what Aldrick is saying is incredibly important. We need to resist the temptation to think we don't need to fight anymore after marriage equality is won by wresting it from the hands of sick, evil men.

However, hatred hasn't gone away. Violence against us will continue. Hopefully, the difference will be the we will actually start bashing back, rather than writing op-eds for the New York Times about how meanie face it is.

9. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this job, housing, and Gay thing is being blown all out of proportion.
    If the person is a good employee, or a good tenant, I doubt there are many bosses or landlords that are hell bent on revenge simply because someone s Gay.
    The idea looks good on paper to Gay hating bigots, but the average business person rather have good tenants and good employees, and not do business simply to make some anti Gay point.

And the very few landlords or employers that might be so anti Gay to put bigotry before business success, I wouldn't want to live or work for them no way no how, anyway.
    And neither should you.

10. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this job, housing, and Gay thing is being blown all out of proportion.
    If the person is a good employee, or a good tenant, I doubt there are many bosses or landlords that are hell bent on revenge simply because someone s Gay.
    The idea looks good on paper to Gay hating bigots, but the average business person rather have good tenants and good employees, and not do business simply to make some anti Gay point.

And the very few landlords or employers that might be so anti Gay to put bigotry before business success, I wouldn't want to live or work for them no way no how, anyway.
    And neither should you.

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There have been quite a few cases where people have been fired from work for their sexual orientation or gender identity. It's not how common they are; it's that they can even happen in the first place.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They shouldn't have to do it.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's pretty amazing to see prominent members of this community not caring at all.

I wonder what could possibly command their sympathies...

14. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work for an employer who thinks their religion is much more important than their business, and could care less about any potential backlash at firing someone for being gay. The head of the company has made statements that make Phil Robertson look almost tolerant in comparison. Most of their customer base is very conservative, so any backlash might actually increase their bottom line. They got even more emboldend by the Hobby Lobby decision, even though that decision doesn't even apply to firing gays and lesbians.

As far as why I work for them, when I started with the company they weren't owned by religious bigots. The company was sold however, and according to an attorney I talked to, I have no specific legal protection against being fired, and losing my health insurance. I could try to sue them, and maybe win, but since I don't plan on working for them too much longer it just isn't worth it to me. I should've been gone from here already but had a temporary setback.