1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any fellow language learners here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blue6, Feb 10, 2015.

1. soag

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I teach Spanish but I still consider myself a language learner because it's a process that never ends. I just learned a new word last week actually. I read a lot in Spanissh and speak with colleagues in Spanish, those are the things that really help me.

2. aindrias

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've tried a few languages. At the minute, I'm trying Irish. I go to evening classes (not that you can't teach yourself) and the teacher recommended the app, Duolingo. I've used it and it is good, as a supplement.

3. markosss

I love learning english! My mother tongue is greek.I also know few german and japanese. Tv shows, movies , video games and songs had really helped me in learning english. :wink:

4. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My native language is Portuguese. I have taken three years of Spanish and I'd say I'm somewhat fluent in it, now...

I am currently learning French on this website: Duolingo.
    I'm still a total newbie but I've already learnt a few basic things.

I also know a few words/expressions in Russian, German , Italian and Japanese. And amongst the many languages that I hope to learn in my life, these are the top ranked in my list: Italian, Dutch, Swedish and Nowegian.
    :icon_bigg

5. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I LOVE studying foreign languages. I'm pretty good in Mandarin Chinese! I think speaking to myself in a given language - Chinese, German, Hindi, whatever I'm studying for fun - really helps me gain confidence and fluidity.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was learning Swedish, but in all honestly, it's such a useless language, that I didn't see the point, got bored and gave up. I'd rather take up French or German.

7. Kami

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am currently working on japanese and will be starting mandarin shortly. :smilewave

8. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Swedish isn't useless! I don't believe that any language is useless.

9. Pie

Pie Guest

I started learning English and German at school when I was 10. My German is terrible but I believe my English is not too bad I think. I do all my internet searches in English, watch films in English, read books in English, etc. I have been doing that for almost 6 years now and it really helped me to make progress. I hope to travel to an English-speaking country someday to test what I've learned so far.

I haven't done one tenth as much effort for German as I have done for English which explains why I suck at it...

I'm also trying to learn a little Japanese because I'm going to Japan this summer!

10. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Teaching myself German on Duolingo. My school only offers Spanish, so you really have to go out of your way to find some place that offers multiple languages. This is my plan:

•German
    •Swedish
    •Spanish
    •Dutch
    •Afrikaans
    •Japanese(maybe)

I'm obsessed with Germany, and I want to go study there in high school.

11. Formality

There's prolly not more than 10 million people in the world who speak the language. I would call it kinda useless for someone who already speaks English since most of us swedes know English.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look French and Latin classes in high school, but never retained much. I'd love to brush up on them as well as Spanish, Arabic, and Icelandic.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I studied latin in school and college as a foreign language, and I'm "semi-bilingual". I can understand Malayalam, my parents' language, but I don't like to speak for fear of making mistakes.

14. lyf

lyf

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My mother tongue is Cantonese, and I've been learning Mandarin my whole life so I can hear and speak it on a basic level. I'm interested in learning another language in college alongside continuing Mandarin, something international along the lines of French or Arabic.

15. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a language student, I say not a single language is useless! It always depends on what you want to do with it. Swedish can be part of the study of languages and their origin. You can use Swedish to read Swedish literature and integrate into the Swedish culture. I wouldn't call it useless.

16. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I took three years of Spanish in high school. I tried to learn Mandarin online, but it didn't work out. I plan on taking Mandarin in college, because unless I go to China or Taiwan, I don't have the ability to self-teach myself. I really want to learn it so that I can communicate with Chinese speakers and visit China with ease, knowing the language.

Some European languages interest me as well, such as Irish and French. I also want to take my Spanish knowledge further and become more fluent and knowledgeable.

17. Yuber

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In French I’m a grammar nazi, because French is my mother-tongue. In English, I’m feeling like a grammar Jew. I’ve a good level to read and listen, but not for speaking and writing.
    So I’m still learning English each day by interacting with people, reading books, etc.

My third language is Persian. I learned it two years at university, now I continue by myself, watching Iranian movies and reading poetry books.

I also studied German six years at school and college. For almost nothing, but I planned to relearn a little of this tortuous language.
    And Latin at college and university, and ancient Greek for one year at university (I can read Greek script with a good accent, but don’t understand most of what I read). I buy time to time a bilingual book in the Belles Lettres collection just to keep in mind some vocabulary.

18. Feijoa

Am looking at re-learning ASL/BSL as I appear to have forgotten a lot of it and looking at picking up Swedish, Italiant or Russian by teaching myself - so some handy tips here, thanks

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, and I'm trying to learn all the languages available on Duolingo, but I'm farthest on Spanish and French.

20. Harve

Like 70% of the last 6 months of my life have been in French. And I'm still probably only 70% fluent in it (C1 level to be more precise). But whatever - not many people manage to get such a good level in a language that they didn't speak much at all until the age of 18 or so.

Oh and apparently this is my second year of taking German courses. I have the level of German of someone who's been taking it for two weeks.