1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my Mum and Dad are ashamed by having a gay only son

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Beware Of You

They have made me promise that I don't tell my other relatives about my sexuality or relationships, they keep on asking me if I am sure that I am gay (note I live with my partner) and the word gay and I don't know they still act weird about it all the time.

Mum is convinced that I am going to catch HIV or something which is incredibly ignorant of someone who is a freaking nurse.

It gets me down, I don't like spending much time with them anymore. Christmas was spend with me wanting to get it over with, I looked miserable on all the photos etc.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry to hear that your parents are less than supportive of you and your partner. [​IMG]

Honestly, it sounds like you need to make one big, final effort to sit down with them and explain to them that, whether they like it or not, you're gay, and that you're tired of them not accepting it.
    Tell them that you'll answer any questions that they have about it, address any concerns that may be worrying them, but they have to take you seriously.

If they still can't handle it after you sacrifice your time and emotions to try to explain it to them, I say screw them. Don't let them be a part of your life until they're ready to be mature enough to accept it.

Again, I'm really sorry that they've put you in this situation. :frowning2: It's far less than anybody deserves.

3. ANewDawn

It's their problem now - you don't live with them anymore, so while having their support would be nice, you don't need it to live a happy life with your partner. I'd say tell your parents that you don't enjoy spending time with them when they act that way towards you. If they're normal parents, the one thing that should scare them more than having a gay son would be having a son who isn't in contact with them.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Has much time passed since you came out to them? If not, they may be in the early stages of the cycle of grief. I'm hearing some denial, asking if you're sure, and there may be some anger. Time, more information, seeing that you're not recanting, and sometimes them getting outside assistance by going to a therapist to deal with their own feelings can all move the process along. And "along" means eventually moving towards acceptance. But it takes time. It may have taken you some time to get to acceptance. It will certainly take them so time. I hope that this process isn't too painful for you, though I fear that it is. (&&&)

5. Beware Of You

I have been out to them for 2 1/2 years. Although they knew I am gay before I came out

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Oh, I am so sorry. This must be so hard, living with this sort of reaction for such a long time. I can only agree with the previous posts that commented that you have done your part, you have done the right thing. You are out to them. If they can't handle that or want to make it go away, that is their problem. But it is unfortunate that they wouldn't open their eyes. My thoughts are with you.

7. blue6

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am sorry to hear that

All you can do is be yourself and follow your heart and love who you love. Your parents should become more understandinf over time

Best of luck with everything

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I would be proud to have you as a son, and I'm sure that there are a lot of other parents that feel the same way. Just hang in there, and know that there are a lot of people in the world who love you, and who will love you! (&&&)