1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memories

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Feb 10, 2015.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi All,

Any of you have memories that are suddenly coming forward?

I have a friend who sits on a condo association board. He was telling me his condo board woes when a memory hit me like a club.

In the 80's I owned a condominium, I was also a condo board member. The board had real issues with the management company that looked after maintaince. The board wanted them gone. Problem was this management company was tied into a crime family and they liked the money they controlled through us.

Now for the gay part...

The chairman of the condo board was a closeted gay. The management firm hired a detective to collect dirt on him and then threatened to out him. Not a good time. Being gay and on the board I was scared too but stuck by and supported the chairman. We won in the end. :wink:

What a different time.

That memory totally suppressed till today.

Anybody else got stuff like that?

Tom

#1 skiff, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. Drew55

Interesting. I too have had memories pop into my gord in the past few years. A smell, song or maybe even a TV commerical. I remember things for good experiences and bad. Abuse or as an abuser. things I have not thought about in too many years. Why Now??

3. OOC73

This has happened quite a lot lately, but more in a joining-the-dots sort of process. Reflecting on the past and realising all the signs were there but I didn't realise it until now.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To me it is... "Crap, I lived through that".

Some of the crap gets suppressed to save the psyche I guess.

Now it is "OMG, What a different time. And I survived". Too many don't.

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

connecting the dots is what helped me to come out to myself. And that led me to coming out to other people. For me, memories have been an important part of getting honest with myself.