1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another poll about abortion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maselalala, Feb 7, 2015.

?

Are you Pro-Choice, or Pro-Life?

1. Pro-Choice

102 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. Pro-Life

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Neither

8 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Depends

23 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. SomeLeviathan

cite it then.
    okay, so I'm willing to accept that fetuses are babies and have a right to life, how do you respond to the arugment that abortion is a form of self defense?
    good for you.
    project more please.
    okay. how do you respond to the argument that abortion is a form of self defense?
    I'm accepting your premise that fetuses are babies/people and have a right to life. I can still morally permit abortion on self defense grounds.
    I'm giving you so much ground it hurts.
    okay well I don't subscribe to moral teleology so I'm not going to walk down that road with you.
    the fact that you think anyone who supports abortion rights is extreme left is telling of how much of a neoreactionary you are.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pro-choice

1. I'm pro-anything that limits population growth
    2. When abortion was illegal 100 years ago there were a lot more dangerous back-alley abortions that put both mother and baby at risk. People who want to terminate pregnancies are going to try to terminate their pregnancies--better do it in a way that's safe
    3. It's a choice not to abort too, and there's nothing wrong with keeping a baby. If your religion or personal philosophy makes it so you don't want to abort, don't. But don't force your beliefs on me.
    4. *Politically incorrect rant about pro-lifers censored*

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well buddy, you started the thread, so i'm assuming you want to discuss this.

Let me simplify this: You already said that life begins at conception. The burden of proof belongs to you. Can you prove to me that life begins at conception, like linking a trustable scientific source?

When you talk about abortion, you may discuss if it is or not wrong, but, when you use the card "when life begins", you are talking about science, not about personal beliefs. In science, you need to prove things when you affirm them.

I'm not taking it personally. As i said, i'm not the one who started the thread, and i think this is a good opportunity to learn more about abortion and the arguments in favor or against it.

If you don't want to discuss, then, please, let the thread continue (or die, if no one else is interested). You are just taking the debate to a personal level (using some logical fallacies), and it is impossible to have a debate...
    ...that way.

By being mad at those that don't agree with you, instead of presenting logical and scientific data to back up your ideas, you are just weakening them. If you don't care about that, then why are you debating?

#103 Chiroptera, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope that none of the so called "pro life" males posting on here have ever masturbated....after all, each of those sperm could have eventually become a 'life' if it hadn't been selfishly 'killed".

5. maselalala

I also view a lot of the fellow pro-lifers I've met as extremely right. There is a middle ground the majority of humans stand, and I am in that. Abortion is one of the few things I feel conservative about. Everything else is pretty liberal. I mean you're talking to an atheist, I believe in full gay rights (Of course), I believe in immunizations, the potential of our science (especially space exploration). You cannot judge a person over one issue and be accurate. Abortion is a topic I choose not to stress myself over, so I choose to vocalize the feeling of my gut clenching when I think about an abortion. I may not be the smartest guy, but I'm the kind of homosexual that no one else is. A politically neither (against big government and big buisness), socially liberal (except abortion), and I don't care how blind I sound anymore because you can't ever make me believe in abortion. It may be wrong, but WERE HUMAN. WE CAN'T ALWAYS BE RIGHT, OR PERFECT. Sorry to burst your bubble e.e

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And think of all the lives that aren't created due to abstinence...just think of the wasted potential!!!

7. SomeLeviathan

no m8, if you're calling everyone who is pro-abortion rights extreme left you're a neoreactionary. Literally the only people who think that anyone to the left of them on social issues are extreme left are neoreactionaries. If for whatever reason this isn't you, maybe stop accusing everyone to the left of you on this one issue of being the extreme left and I will stop calling you a neoreactionary.

you still have yet to tell me why abortion as a measure of self defense is not morally permissable.

oh you're an atheist. that's cool for the laughs.

8. maselalala

I have no reason or proof. I made a complete fool out of myself. But, that doesn't mean I will be pro-choice:grin:

9. SomeLeviathan

good to know you aren't willing to have a discussion about your views or my views even though I'm seceding basically every single premise you want.

10. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because sex is supposed to be an extension of very intimate love, not traumatic and cruel. And I'm not saying all rape victims should abort, I'm just saying they should have the choice be given the choice. Also rape victims face a bunch of added medical risks.

I agree that we shouldn't be taking lives into our own hands lightly. But to me these cases deserve consideration. Personally I don't see myself aborting under any circumstances, but I guess you don't know till faced with it.

11. Ixaxilia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pro-choice all the way. :thumbsup:

12. 2112

You basically just admitted that you're so closed minded that even facts and logic can't convince you.

Being human isn't an excuse to ignore facts and logic. Even if you think it's murder, I don't see any way you could argue against this:

Fact: Making abortion illegal does not stop it.

Logic: If we can't stop abortion, we might as well make it as safe as possible for the women having abortions; otherwise both lives would be lost.

If you can come up with a logical rebuttal that's supported by facts, you can have your opinion. But you can't say, "I'm only human" just to avoid actually answering the arguments on the other side, especially when you started the entire debate.

^ This.

13. Tardis2020

I don't feel like reading 6 pages so I'm not sure if it's been said yet.
    A woman should have the right to choose. She is the one who will have to carry it and give birth. Furthermore, a fetus does not have consciousness. A fetus is simply a clump of cells developing into a person, at least up until the third trimester.
    The decision to keep or abort is ultimately the woman's. But, if a man does not want a child, and the woman does, he should be able to give up parenting rights and also not have to pay child support. If the man wants a child, but the woman doesn't, the woman should still have the right to abort the child.

14. Joelouis

It seems that the discussion regarding abortion gets more heated than any other thread.
    I think people should accept that others will not always agree with eachothers' views. Those views should be respected, even if we don't share those ideals.

On a personal note, I'd be devastated if my wife aborted what would be our child. I don't think I'd ever forgive her, even if it was her sole right.

15. maselalala

True.

16. Akane

Depends. To be honest. I am more pro-life, but I live in America so I learn to live with it. If I decide one day I do not like it I will just move.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The decisions a woman can make on her body should be hers, and hers only. Not that of the government, not that of her partner (unless she chooses to hear an opinion), not that of her family or even friends.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Now, hold on a second!

You're telling me a penis does not equal supreme authority?

19. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    100% agreed :thumbsup:

20. robclem21

Ok. Here it goes. I am pro choice. There is really only one thing to consider here and that is the rights of the mother.

First, the zygote/fetus/baby has no rights until it is born. It is using the mother to support 100% of its life. i.e. If the mother dies or stops supporting the unborn child, it will not live. Whether or not the child is considered a "living" is irrelevant because it is using the mother's body to support itself. Every woman has the right to be free from the will of anyone else to be imposed on her. That includes the will of her unborn child. No person (regardless of gender) should be forced to be used by another person for any reason.

While this is not a responsibility that should be taken lightly, ultimately, it is her choice whether she wants to support the pregnancy or not. However, until the baby is born and can survive on its own, the rights of the mother are the only ones that matter.

#120 robclem21, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015