1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texting or voice calls?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Feb 4, 2015.

1. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I have quite a bit to say on this topic. =o

1st of all it entirely depends on the person. There are some people, who I absolutely just can't have a text conversation with. These are people who are more... physically and vocally expressive, I guess. Usually these are my family and a few old friends from school. They, on average, just view texting as a tool, usually to ask or arrange something with me, and that's all. In a face to face conversation, they play off tone, body language, and other clues that don't really translate over text, which makes an elaborate text conversation less comfortable and natural for them. Or at least for me, when I reply to them. In person, they almost always respond with more substance and variety.

There are also (and this is most of my online friends) people who communicate easier and more often through text. These are usually people who are more mental than verbal, who think carefully about what they say and how to say it and benefit from the leisure of responding through text at their own pace. I think people like this are generally introverts, who dont always express the extent of their thoughts in person, and prefer text as a more comfortable and efficient way of doing so. I myself am this type of person, and I do attribute much of it to being introverted and having social anxiety (barriers for the most part broken easily through text), though lately I have been challenging myself to hold more engaging and extensive conversations using my voice.

I'm actually becoming more confident and capable in my speaking abilities as a result of this. Voice chatting with more of my internet friends has become something that's fun and easy rather than intimidating. I'm motivated to share and express more with my voice both online and off which feels great. Maybe I will sing something for you guys <_<

#21 kageshiro, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Depends who it is for me. I generally prefer texting over calling. I only ever call my parents; nearly everyone else I'd rather text than call.

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    With people I know it's almost always texting, voice calls are usually reserved for official/practical stuff. The exception to this is my mother who can open a text but not send one so if I need to have a two-way discussion with her when I'm not home it has to be calls. I have a limited number of free call minutes per month so I save them for when I need them. Also trying to understand people over the line is a pain sometimes when my hearing is playing up.

5. Yosia

Texting, i genuinely hate calling and pretty much just stay quiet and listen i do that normally but worse on the phone. :lol:

6. FlamingPenguin

I like to call people more because I can hear their voice and it gives me some sense that they're joking or serious, but I'm too lazy so I text everyone.

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    E-mail.
    Or even better : We'll meet at the usual place... Maybe.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you would like to speak with me, please call me. If you try and carry on a long text conversation with me, Ibmay just end up calling you.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

And I even like talking to people halfway across the world in some call center when they've screwed something up. You don't text or e-mail their customer service, or nothing will get done.

10. littlesami

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love to text cause i can do it during class or whenever i want, and i get to say some ambarrassing things easily like "i could kiss you" and i like saying those. But if one day i had someone i love a lot, or just someone i miss from seeing very usually, i guess phone calls are better. But the thing is that talking to a machine is hard, you don't know what to say, and sometimes, when you're on the phone you just don't see how you will go on. And... It's embarrassing. May i say i'm usually shy?
    So texting usually, and phone when i have to, but i hope it will change someday.

11. timo

I usually text with friends, and only call my family.

12. tulman

Email or phone. I'm a real knuckle dragger, even still have a landline. My pick-up and car have blue tooth so a call is much easier, safer & legal. I tried texting once. It took longer hunting for the keys and deleting the wrong ones when my ham size thumbs hit 2 or 3 of those pin head size keys at once.

13. CrazyAwkward

Texting. Definitely. Talking on the phone gives me anxiety. There are a some exceptions, but not many.

14. kem

kem

Texting definitely, and e-mails. There's something about calling that's just... weird. I don't like it. I prefer talking face-to-face though.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This response and the thread's responses indicate there has been a huge generational shift. For the people I keep company with, it's the other way around. We grew up with a land line, and I'm sure many of us still have one. I wonder how many of the 30 and under people either have a land line or, once they get on their own, plan to have one in addition to a Smartphone or similar device.

16. AKTodd

I only started using text the last year or two. For simple things (be there in 10 min; an address, etc.), it's fine. But for any kind of definite action or more in depth information, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's worse than useless. There seems to be this tendency to not set a hard date/time to do something (getting together with friends for lunch or dinner) but instead to 'play it by ear' and somehow work out the scheduling on the fly. This in turn has led to repeated instances of 'I'll text you back to finalize' and then nothing happens. It's irritating, especially when the other person is the one who contacted me to set up a get together in the first place.

I'm moving to the viewpoint that texting is so easy that people treat it as a thoughtless throwaway form of communication and don't take anything they say on it seriously. Bah.

I'll take a voice call over text, no question.

Todd

17. Zombi3

That is exactly how I feel, also well done in your improvement! :thumbsup:

18. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Texting for sure. Phone calls make me nervous.

19. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I liked talking on the phone until I discovered texting

20. badluckfairy

I prefer texting as I can be texting multiple people at the same time and I can be doing other things at the same time.

I'm naturally not much of a talker.