1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro gamers

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by NingyoBroken, Feb 4, 2015.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Hey, just wondering if there are any more fans of the classic 8 bit/16 bit systems out there. Here's some questions.

What's your favourite retro home console?
    What about portable console?
    Arcade game?
    Console game?

2. White Knight

I like and play some old games tho' play them only via emulators. Especially enjoy my old C64, DOS or Arcade favorites, like X-Men:Children of Atom, Spider-man Arcade Game, Spider-man Text Adventure and some more.

Funny coincidence, I just found out this site about abandonwares. Also enjoy Good Old Games as well.

3. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love retro games!

Favorite retro console is the snes, favorite games are Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 2: Yoshi's Island and Super Ghouls n Ghosts.
    I also like the nes, but I have only two games for it left, I should buy some more I think.

Then of course sega should be in the collection. I have sega master system and mega drive, favorite is definitely Sonic.

4. Aro

Aro

Retro games are my soul. I loved Sega Genesis, though I'd even call that newer. The original NES was my first love. Duck Hunt and Mario were the first games I ever owned. I played them all the time. The GameBoy Color was the first real handheld I had- and I played a ton of Pokemon, Zelda, and Dragon Warrior on it.

I was never huge into arcades because I was not close to any and obviously didn't have money, being a kid. I used to go an play The Simpsons a lot, and Street Fighter.

With consoles, I would have to go with Sega Genesis. I think out of any of them, I was the most in love with that one. All of the Sonic titles, Landstalker, Ristar, and anything along those lines were something that I treasured. I've not met many people who've even heard of Landstalker. That was always one of my favorites. And even less people who had/heard of Sega Channel. I had it growing up and it was fantastic. New games every month and you could play for as long as you like on them. It was a service that ran through your cable provider. I am not sure how many offered that. But it was the best.

5. Lazuri

Not unless you count PS1. Though at this point in time, I personally would.

6. badluckfairy

Out of the 16 bit, I had a Gameboy, and I particularly liked Super Mario 2, Pokemon Red and Kirbys Dream Land, as well as Tetris.

Arcade game... I liked Pac Man a lot. Though I had a lot of fun with Dig Dug too.

Though my favourite consoles and games come slightly later... I'd imagine the Playstation One is considered Retro at this time, being 20 years old. That would be my favourite home console. But I'm also fond of the Nintendo 64.

For the PS1 I really liked Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot and Evil Zone. They were my top 3.

N64 I liked F Zero X and Mario 64.

7. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I sure am one of them :grin:
    Absolute true love is the NES (but the PS1 comes very close) and what there was done for it at the end of its lifetime compared to the beginning. I got so much into the whole thing that I even learned how to make music for it and its programming language! (But I suck at it & don't have time for it) Very interesting.
    As for handhelds, I'd say the original Gameboy simply for the recognition its sound gets.
    I never had a chance to play on an arcade machine sadly so no input on that.
    Favorite console game is a tie between Crash Bandicoot: Warped and MediEvil, both PS1 games. I highly recommend the latter if you'd like to see what Castlevania could've been as a competent 3D game.

8. Quiet Raven

The oldest console I own is the PS2, but I do play quite a bit of older games via digital re-releases and such.

Not sure what my favorite console would be... But I love the Sega Genesis Sonic games, the NES Mega Man games, and some SNES games like Super Metroid and Link to the Past.

And let's not forget the PS1 Final Fantasy games, Parasite Eve, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid...

On the N64, there is of course GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, 2 Zelda games, Mario 64...

The PS2 is definitely my favorite though, with games like Persona 3 and 4, FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Tales... And so many more.

As for portables, I didn't play much before the GBA. (Just some Pokemon Yellow I borrowed, and recently a couple games I downloaded on the 3DS E-shop that I thought were OK)

#8 Quiet Raven, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. Lazuri

If I were to point out a specific game series, it'd be Spyro. I love Spyro the motherfucking Dragon as much as it's physically able to love a virtual dragon.

10. Riz

Riz

I grew up with Sega mega drive and some of it's glorious games, but really, I'm that Sonic fanboy. I know those game in the back of my mind even after all these years. And appearently also it's bugs since I tried to play the versions on gamecube and that didn't out really well…

I'm that kid who only really played Pokemon on portable consoles, ever.

…Nowadays I rarely play anything though, even if I occasionally (barely) pick up some N64 games like Donkey Kong or any other Rare game.
    Which is weird since I live with a whole hearted gamer….

11. Lazuri

Barrel. Of. DOOM!

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

....People are actually calling ps1 retro gaming these days...

I mean, it's old, but I meant more like Sega systems, Nintendo/Famicon, Atari, Commodore, etc.

Anyways my favourite home console is Famicon/NES
    Favourite portable is Gameboy, favourite game is Pokemon blue.
    Arcade.. Galaxian.

13. Quiet Raven

It is 4 generations old.... But yeah. I wasn't really sure if the PS2 really counted when I included it. But I had no doubt about the PS1, lol.

But yeah, if we are only going with 2D consoles, it is a tough choice between NES, and SNES. But I'd probably go with SNES. Favorite game for it being Mega Man X.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

What's your favourite retro home console?
    Probably the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, followed by the SEGA Genesis/Mega-Drive. If we're going up to the PlayStation 1/Nintendo 64/SEGA Dreamcast days, I would also include the Nintendo 64 as one of the top-contenders.

What about portable console?
    Definitely the GameBoy Color. While I enjoyed the traditional GameBoy, if you didn't have adequate lighting, it was practically impossible to see; or you had to shift, into a potentially uncomfortable position, to see the screen.

Arcade game?
    Too many to list, but I will try:

Mortal Kombat II
    Street Fighter II
    X-Men: Children of the Atom
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

Console game?
    Final Fantasy III/VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, are definitely top-contenders for the Super Nintendo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Sonic & Knuckles, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco the Dolphin/Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time, are definitely top-contenders for the SEGA Genesis/Mega-Drive. I'd include Mortal Kombat II here as well, since it is the one I played the most.

If we're including the Nintendo 64, then Star Fox 64, 007: GoldenEye, and Banjo-Kazooie, along with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yeah! I love retro games! I miss the days of the SNES, Arcade machines and gameboys :3

16. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. The closest thing I have played that was old school but not in the 8-16 bit category is Chrono Trigger, U.N. Squadron, and the Legend of Zelda on the SNES.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I should probably know my place and get out of the thread. :frowning2:

But I'm a 32-bit gamer. About as retro I go are Descent and Quake. Also Commander Keen: Goodbye, Galaxy! :3

18. Lazuri

It's absolutely a retro console. It's even listed on the wikipedia article on retrogaming.

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You bet.

I grew up playing Super Mario Bros 3 and Maniac Mansion on the NES/Famicon. There were also other games back then like Battletoads or Mission Impossible.

I'm more into the first computers, which were used to play as well. Among them it's the Amiga (Motorola 68000 plus Paula, Denisse and co. for graphics and sound). Fascinating machine, a work of art, even when you got those 'Guru Meditations'. Amigas were used everywhere, and they have still a small community.
    About the games for Amiga... Lemmings was very popular back then.

First computer was a zx spectrum +2A (which is basically a +3 with a datacorder)
    It took 10 minutes to load a game from a casette... If you didn't get a 'Tape loading error'. (I'm talking here about the end of the 80s).

Naw, I'm not into portables... I had a Game Boy Color and played some Pokémon Blue, but I got kind of bored of it after a few months. I'd rather go to the Arcade, I don't care it's way expensive, I miss going to the Arcade.

Probably Tetris, haven't found anyone better than me yet.
    Then I have very fond memories of Street Fighter 2 and then Virtua Fighter.

Sonic is high on the list. I should have chosen a Megadrive or a Master System, and not a damned NES back then.

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Alright, but I meant 8bit/16bit consoles.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2015 at 03:23 AM ----------

I totally want to try playing a ZX Spectrum or a c64 one of these days.. Wonder if there are any emulators for Android..