1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to find a gender therapist...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Okulous, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Okulous

Has anyone else had difficulty finding a gender therapist? I was referred to a therapist by my pastor, but the person didn't accept the insurance that my family has (was a little upset about this because I know she could have helped me), so that didn't work. She sent me a list of counselors that could help me out with my issue. I called the first one and tried to set up an appointment, but it was scheduled at a time I had a class. I tried to reschedule it, but could not contact her. I think I'm just going to call the second therapist. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this is so frustrating! :bang:

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

have you tried this site?: Find a Therapist, Psychologist, Counselor - Psychology Today

3. Acm

Acm Guest

There aren't any gender therapists in my area at all, it sucks. You could try to get a referral from a doctor, or looking for lists of therapists online.

4. Okulous

I might check it out if I cant get into contact with the other therapists.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried using Google? If you look for "gender therapists *insert city and/or zip code here*", you should get some names and numbers.

If your insurance is a problem, you can see if they're able to work with a sliding scale system. All three people I've seen were able to do this, and I only had to pay $25-$40 for my appointments, which was pretty damn nice.

If you have a PFLAG chapter near you (or an LGBTQ club or trans meet group), they might be able to help you even further. I'd say try Google first if PsychologyToday doesn't help much.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd for sure look into the sliding scale. Also, if there are any colleges near you, if they have an LGBT center they may have a list of gender therapists there as well. Sometimes, therapists do not list that they have had experience with transgender people.