1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder-induced dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PossumJack, Feb 1, 2015.

1. PossumJack

Hey guys! So I got a binder a month or so back, but it was a size too large so I ended up ordering a new one. Well, this one finally arrived and it fits perfectly, the results look great and everything. But as I expected, it also felt much tighter. It's not *hurting* me in any way, I made sure I can breathe deeply and normally in it.

But what I wanted to ask about is if it's normal to feel more dysphoric when you're using a binder. I like the way it flattens my chest, but the constant feeling of compression reminds me of how my breasts are still there, and that makes me extremely frustrated and even angry at times. I'm still going to use it simply because at this point I'll feel even worse without a binder, but does any one else feel this way when they bind?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I get that too. It's a really annoying reminder that my chest is still there.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get this sometimes as well. As time has gone on though, I have become more used to this.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

For the most part, I like how my binder looks on me and the feeling's actually sort of comforting. But I wear it long enough, when it's starting to chaffe into my sides and my back's killing me and then I'm not a happy camper. Because how many guys do you know in your daily life wear the damn thing? There have been days I've been tempted not to wear it and just tell people I have gynomastia- which isn't a lie, as a matter of fact, when you think about it but I'm not at that point where it's 100% believable.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it's less the feel of it, and more the way my hips and thighs seem bigger to me when I bind that makes me feel dysphoric. I've cut down on my sugar intake and I'm starting to slim out, but my weight falls to my thighs, and it's disheartening as hell.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have a binder sadly (my parents wouldn't approve, and it would be irritating to deal with since I sweat so much for sports), but I bind with two tight sports bras. It definitely makes me dysphoric, but I think moreso because I still feel like there's a small lump on my chest and that the sports bras don't flatten me as much as I want them to.

7. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I felt the same way, when I first tried binding, although it wasn't a binder(I used duck tape). But after that I started feeling even more dysphoria, when I don't use anything to bind and sports bra's don't work, because they don't flatten me much.

8. Tardis221B

Yeah I completely understand, I don't bind right now, but when I tried for the first time, sports bras and an ace bandage (terrible to do I know, but it was for like 20 min), the dysphoria wasn't so much when I was wearing it as when I took it off. It made me more aware of my womanly features, and the lack of masculine/neutral build on my body.

9. Seige

I feel the exact same way about tucking. Its uncomfortable, and I cant cross my legs when I sit. :/
    And yeah, I feel the same way about my bra. Feels great while its on, but then I take it off and realise how flat I am.

10. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel this too. I either have the case where I get dysphoria from seeing that my chest isn't flat or I get dysphoria from the fact I feel the presence of my breasts more. It makes me ever more eager for the one day when I can just have a flat chest. I didn't know this was a common thing.

11. antibinary

I get dysphoric when I use so much as a bra.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. There is absolutely no way to forget about that thing when I'm tucking and it's between my legs. But so much better that than seeing it in the mirror when I get out of the shower.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2015 at 12:19 PM ----------

Hmmm... Perhaps recreationally take up hockey. Or at least say you've taken up hockey... Though, I suppose that'd be more convincing if you were missing teeth. (OK, that last part is a joke)