1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I never want to come out as bisexual...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MossyCave, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Why do people have such issues with bisexuals? I have friends who just don't think it exists and will not be swayed. I'm not going to go into detail, but basically one of the arguments they used is that bisexual people take back their identity and label as straight or gay, or that they're "going through a phase" and can't decide. The things is, I can't argue these points in a way that they will understand.
    I identify as bisexual because labeling as straight doesn't fit me, and labeling as gay doesn't either, bisexual is a broad term and I haven't swayed or doubted this label because it has enough room for change. I prefer men right now, but I have liked of women in the past and think I could love a woman. I'm going on a few years of exclusive attraction to women I once had, and I don't even blame people for maybe trying to argue with me that it was just a phase. I'm afraid that once I come out, the small minded people in my life will feel validated in their ignorance if I ever label as something else, or even if I settle with one person. I just don't know how to educate people, and I would rather get on with my life and my relationships without trying to change anyone. Haters gonna hate but I won't be there to listen to them.
    Are there any other bisexuals out there who don't like telling people?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind. If people think i'm confused/don't exist, then they are ignorant or stupid. If a person approaches me with that mentality, but is willing to listen, then i will be happy to try to teach them what bisexuality is and what does it mean. If someone isn't willing to listen, then i will not waste my time, unless i absolutely need to/think this particular case is worth my time.

Take a look here, it may help: The Bisexual Index | What is Bisexuality?

You may link this site to friends if you like, i find it very interesting.

3. badluckfairy

Yes. I understand this feeling. I was out as gay for years before I actually decided that I am now bisexual. Only a few people know of it, and I don't feel like telling people because it will just confuse a lot of people. I fear a lot of people won't take me seriously. I've heard comments from both gay and straight people that call bisexuals greedy or confused. Or that it automatically means that bisexuals cheat. So I don't feel like going through all of that. I feel that some people will just not understand such a simple concept and that I won't be taken seriously.

4. Confuseddude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well Said!!

I myself am not 'out' yet. I only started to question my sexuality 6 months or so ago and I currently consider myself as bisexual however I am reluctant to come out as bisexual for fear of how some ignorant people may view it as mearly a phase. The truth is, I myself question whether it is just a phase. Don't get me wrong, not for one second do I question whether it's a phase for everyone but for some people it is.

5. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I'm not out yet, but I'd expect people to say things like these. People tend to think in black and white, it's either-or. They don't see the fifty shades of gray between black and white. :grin: And they also tend to think that once something is established, it will last forever. In their opinion opinions and likes or dislikes can't change. Once someone is a certain way, they think he/she will be like that forever. I think it's just the fear of change, the fear of uncertainty.
    Don't pay attention to their bullshit. What matters, is YOUR definition of your sexuality, not their arrogant opinions that are based on their limited imagination. They don't know what it's like to be in your shoes, so don't even expect them to understand.

6. MystikShaman

Hey. I'm also in the same boat.

I've been hip-hopping across back and forth and giving myself GRIEF because I've been trying to pick a side and stick with it. (This post has given me so much CLARITY on my own situation so dank girl!!)

Reading this, and after years of trying to do this, I've realised; I'm not supposed to just "pick-a-side"

I like both.

It's just been so hard to accept because it's not widely accepted here, heck Irish people are having a hard enough time to understand the homosexuals :L And someone who likes both is just incomprehensible to them :L

And me too because of that. Jaysus.

7. Linux Lenny

Yes, I tell people! I don't care about what they think. The most important thing is that I am bisexual. I like to be with men and women, emotionally and sexually. What matters is me and the rest can think whatever they want!

99% of the world's population are ignorant. They judge things based on their own observations and emotions. MOST of the scientific research conducted on this issue state that bisexuality is REAL. Don't listen to them and be who you are. At the end, and based on the "selfish gene" inherited in us as humans, no one will care about your happiness, only you care.

Live your life as bisexual and be proud :slight_smile:

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well people could be told its a real preference on a scale between straight and gay, and that there is something like a kinsey scale for further reference.

And people could be told that being faithful is unrelated to sexual orientation.

And well, maybe that people are different, and should not have the fear to have to compete with the other sex.
    Everyone is unique and has their likeable sides.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i haven't hit this one yet in my coming out process, i will probably make a joke about it like looking down my shirt or up my sleeve and say, nope im still here and im real.
    and if they're still a moron about it i either ignore them or make fun of them.

10. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No matter what I read I have really internalized all the biphobia out there. I don't want to come out as bisexual, I don't want to be bisexual, I would rather keep pretending I'm straight than deal with my feelings about bisexuality and other people's prejudices about it.

I'm probably never going to really date a woman anyway, which also means maybe I am straight anyway, so I just don't want to deal with it.

I'm sorry to sound so negative and I don't mean to insult other bisexuals. I think it's great that some people feel positively about bisexuality. It's just that I can't get to that place in my mind, and I just wanted to give my honest answer to the question.

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could try to get to know a few women slowly, like visiting events with your next lgbt center... there might even be support groups...
    you could have a look at this thread:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anonymous-discussions/166447-how-do-you-make-friends-adulthood.html#2
    And you could try to imagine being together with women, if you like... that helps, too...

hugs

12. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have dealt with ignorant comments. But educating my friends about bisexuality did help. Just try to educate them. And if they still make stupid comments, just ignore them. :slight_smile:

13. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you jay777. It's a little tough for me to get around because I don't have a car, but I know I shouldn't make excuses.

I'm just having a rough few days right now because I had a coffee date and I hoped maybe I'd make a friend that way but no such luck. I'm not upset over the specific woman because I didn't know her and she didn't owe me anything anyway! But I'm just dejected in general because it was one of the few chances I did have to meet someone and I think I just really bored them.

For some reason when I go to groups at the lgbt center I end up feeling like I'm straight and a fake and I should go home. I really need to get over that but I'm not sure how.

I do try to imagine being together with women and sometimes it's nice. I have an easier time picturing being with a woman sexually than romantically, but then again I can't seem to imagine being with a man romantically either these days. So it leaves me really confused.

Anyway thank you for the good advice.

#13 womaninamber, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  14. theblueshell

theblueshell Guest

I totally get what you're saying. Before I started to identify as Gay(even as a woman, the identifier gay feels comfortable to me) I identified as bi. I grew up with people telling me that I was "greedy" or "confused" and once a lesbian had told me to come back when I'd picked what side I was on. In my opinion we are in a wonderful time for bisexuals because they are finally getting the recognition they deserve. Most people are acknowledging it for the legitimate orientation that it is.

Up until last year I identified as Bi, and slowly I came to realized that I really only wanted to have relationships with women. They felt more natural and right in every sense of the word. However since I've only come to this realization for about a year now, and have declared that exclusiveness for the same amount of time, I often worry that what happens if there's a man that I like and he ignites some kind of feeling. What does that mean for me, and what does that say for the people who know me. Most days I feel like they are waiting to say this was just a phase.

I've decided though for the time being, cross that bridge when you come to it. A really good book to read is Married Women Who Love Women. It really puts things in perspective and helped me through that period of trying to figure myself out (which I'm still kind of in).

I hope this has helped somewhat.

15. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So many replies haha so I'll keep it short :slight_smile: I know it doesn't matter what other people think.. but the absolute negativity makes me doubt myself sometimes. I'm questioning myself so badly right now because of the negativity, I guess I have one friend to talk about it with, but the thing is everyone seems to be bisexual in a different way, the attraction isn't always the same so it's hard to work through things with other bi people sometimes..