1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atheism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Images and Words, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's certainly a personalized thing, everyone's different, but for the most part, Scandinavia tends to be much more atheistic than many other places, and many of the people who do believe in God don't believe in him in the same sense many Americans do.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have plenty of analytical thinking skills. It takes more faith to believe in no God than to believe in a God. The fact that nature is so intricate, and scientists are still puzzled as to how blood keeps us alive. Then you have man-made science that says we evolved from apes and a big bang. That everything just so happened to form at the same time, that takes faith.

It's fine, I will bow out of this. I don't care anymore. I always feel alone wherever I go, and this is no different.

#42 QueerTransEnby, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This reminds me of a conversation I had with some Jehovah's Witnesses; it basically came down to this:

Me: Can I ask you something else?
    Them: Sure.
    Me: God created the universe, right?
    Them: Yes he did.
    Me: What created God?
    Them: God has always been.
    Me: Then why couldn't the components for the Big Bang, or any other theory, be as well?
    Them: *awkward pause* We'll have to get back to you on that.

I didn't do that to be a dick, but to get them to think. Of course, that particular fellow stopped coming around my neighborhood.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    God transcends all time, that's why Kaiser. But I said I would shut up and know my place, so I get it.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it doesn't take more faith to believe in no god.

It just requires an acknowledgment of our human limits in what can be known.

I have always found it fascinating how, at least in America, debates about god turn into debates about astrophysics, macroevolution, and the fundamentals of the philosophy of science when most atheists and religious people alike care about absolutely none of these topics.

6. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think many people waste time praying for something to happen when they could be making it happen. If your child is really sick, are you going to take him or her to the doctor, or are you just going to pray for them to magically get better? Assuming you do both, which one do you think helped more?

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry, guys. I just shouldn't discuss my faith on here at all. It was my mistake. I am sincerely saying that.

8. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not attacking you, I'm saying what I think about religion as a whole.

9. Justinian20

I am a complete atheist as I don't see religion as important to myself personally. In reality, too many people are hardcore about religion and don't realize it is a guide rather than something telling you what to do. I am not religious but I can see that all religions are meant to guide you on a path. Philosophy on the other hand is all about the questions. For me I am the one who is more about the questions, I ask myself so many questions, in fact, the way I opened up about my homosexuality was through a journey of self discovery. I let the feelings flow through me.

Now I know that plenty of LGBT members are religious and they have their reasons for believing in a omnipotent being and following the morals of said religion. In fact I would actually say all the flaws of religion actually come from the people themselves. How the people act is kind of wrong. In fact a religious friend of mine bought this to my attention.

"I would not want God or Jesus blamed for the actions of people," he also admitted that he believes the LGBT community has been mistreated by the Christian people and he said, "That they let them down."

I am still atheist after listening to this, but now I understand some religious people's ideas. I still think a lot of them are homophobic and quite ignorant. But don't take this as a insult to you all because I have that one Christian friend who actually has taken the time to really look deeply into the bible. So if a lot of you other atheists think about it(including myself), it becomes a far more interesting concept to view religion in this way.

10. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I follow Tymora, the human goddess of luck. Gods are just the result of the congregation of people's beliefs and faith. If a lot of people are desperate for miracles or providence, they are weighing the dice quite heavily in their favor.

I didn't enjoy Christianity, too many bad memories along with its past doesn't make it palatable to me. Not because of homophobia and the like, I was apathetic before I knew I was a homosexual. Atheism as well did not align well with my thoughts.

I like luck, I enjoy how minuscule forces or events shape life. The chaos/order of it is fascinating. I deify luck and misfortune over goodness or practicality. It's more fun that way~

Then sometimes I wake up and believe a tiny bit in the Christian God, or karma, or no God.

#50 Alt, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, there's a lot of evidence to back this up. I hope the word "theory" doesn't make you think that there's no evidence. A scientific theory is not the same as just some theory.

And moreover, I'm not sure if you are fully aware of this, but we did not "evolve from apes", we had a common ancestor. This science is not man-made, it's fully observable in nature.

I have no problem with people not believing in evolution. Honestly, not at all, but there is evidence (quite a bit) that supports evolution and it's definitely observable in nature. For me, rejecting evolution seems like turning a blind eye to the world usually due to a lack of understanding of what evolution is really like.

12. Jellal

I sure hope atheism isn't 100% true. The potential existence of a god/multiple gods is awfully exciting, plus I'm too easily bored with scientific explanations for how things work. I love it when stuff is mystical.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe the bible is fiction. I don't know if God exists. Although I'm leaning on saying no -- 99% certain there's no god. If he does exist, then maybe he's an advanced alien and we've misunderstood him. I've also wondered if God is malevolent or simply has better things to do. I wasn't surprised to see these concerns addressed in The God Delusion.

I used to follow a religion out of fear. It went against my instincts. Depending on the situation, I either say I'm an Atheist or say I follow Tzeentch. I don't want people to think I'm serious about my dedication to a fictional god.

I've got no beef with people following God, as long as they aren't harming anyone.

14. kem

kem

I'm an agnostic. No matter how many metaphysical questions science could answer, there would still be a small vacuum for a Creator, a universal force, or an omniscient being, or a team of scientist playing Universe Sim 6.
    Still, I lean more in favour of no-gods.

The only non-secular belief I have is that when(/if... the way things are looking it's not 100% certain I will thanks to science) I die, my consciousness will be reborn at some point, in another body.

15. black-cat

"If there is a God, he will have to beg for my forgiveness."

I am atheist- I do not believe in any God of any sort. But- I wouldn't say that I am not religious- the two are very separate or me. Anyway, that is a long story. I love talking about religion, feel free to hmu if you wanna ramble about it with me ;o LOL

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. black-cat

Yep, so I have heard. Scratched into the walls by someone who is believed to have been Jewish, yet ended up in a concentration camp.

One of the most horrifying and accurate quotes about religion, in my opinion. Particularly with the story behind it.

18. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally believe there is a god. I'm simple minded and I don't like to dive too deep into this kind of stuff, it just gets complicated. I havn't been to church or read the bible in years. Basically I just cherry pick the good things from religion and leave out the bad parts, too much bad things in the world already. "so why can't god fix it?" please go ask someone who knows.

19. black-cat

Oh, Something else I would like to add.

"You can't just say that there is a God because the world is beautiful. You have to account for the bone cancer in children." -Stephen Fry.

20. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I've never accepted the idea of a god or deity in all my life. I still hold those values, but I'm more agnostic still, since if there is an all-powerful being in control of the yniverse, we would never know about it.