1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loneliness...how does it affect you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Celatus, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I just feel lonely. Especially mid-way through the school year, when routines and things get old. I feel like I don't have any close friends, although there's plenty of people that I'm friendly with or talk to. It makes me wonder, do most people really have active social lives? I'll go places with people and invite them to do stuff, but that's usually not reciprocated, I don't get asked to do anything really. Is this normal? I mean I'm fairly likeable, honest and loyal to friends, and I'm not some kind of social misfit. My orientation isn't very obvious either, I'm fairly bland. Socially, people seem to respect me and I'm an open, talkative person. I guess I just feel kind of lonely...sometimes I get depressed, going day after day.
    How does loneliness affect you?

2. Robbie

I know that feel, too. I think I have many close friends, but sometimes it looks like they just forget about me. I'm always listening to their problems, and try to figure out some solution, but when I'm in bad mood, or feel lonely, they don't really care about it... that's why I can't decide, how would they react to my orientation... I don't think loneliness has any positive effect on anyone, that's why I joined this forum :slight_smile:

3. Yosia

Loneliness doesn't affect me too much, yeah I start to feel down a little bit, but I can focus on other things better and usually end up being more productive. However, even I admit - too much loneliness does start to depress me, but it takes a long while of loneliness to get to this point.

4. SilencedMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I get lonely a lot too. It's not that I'm not around people, it's just I feel like I'm not making any significant connections with people very much.
    :slight_smile: you're not alone in your loneliness!

5. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings from a fellow Marylander! :grin:
    I can sort of attest to this, I know I've felt lonely quite a few times. Daily routines get old and it's the same everyday. Go to school, come home, do work, go o sleep. Get up next morning, go to school etc. Then weekends: Stay at home and have nowhere to go. I feel like I'm always doing the same thing and nothing new happens, I have plenty of friends but I still feel lonely. I have only a few really good friends but our relationships are not like go out whenever and have fun. It's not like in the movies "Wanna hang out tonight?" "SURE!" No. That doesn't happen because it takes prior planning many times and there are obligations like schoolwork, errands, have to have parental consent to go somewhere, etc... so it's not just so easy to go somewhere, especially week days. I think many people have lesser social lives than you'd think. Yes, some people hang out ALL the time but that's probably not as common. People have things to do, places to be, so hanging isn't always an option, which can result in a lonely feeling. You don't have to be a social misfit to feel lonely, in fact I bet everyone feels lonely. Actually, I'm sure everyone feels lonely at certain points in their life. I'm not gonna turn this post into a hallmark movie "There's always that special someone out there for you and you'll never have to be lonely again" I'm just saying that loneliness comes and goes. I think personally loneliness does not affect me as much as it used to because I'm kinda used to it. I don't get out a lot, Mostly because I don't have my license (failed my driver's test three times so far, but that's a post for another time lmao) and because I've got lots of stuff going on, especially with performances (I play classical guitar, I have to play a lot + practice). However, I am willing to talk to you if you feel lonely. :grin:
    I hope you feel better!
    -bpc

6. sempai

I'm pretty lonely, but I have a good circle of acquittances. I am friendly and smiling often, but I feel lonely. I don't have a close best friend or a group I hang out on a regular basis, which makes me feel lonely. Loneliness is a common thing for me... haha

7. Zombi3

I'm alone, but I don't feel lonely.. I used to, but being alone helped me be more clear minded and less detached and dependant.

8. Stripe101

Long, happy silence, and the occasional rage infused heartache.

But it's fine. I enjoy it 85% of the time.

9. Sorceress of Az

It makes me Lazy, Grouchy, and I can't enjoy things by myself.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

At it's worst:
    [​IMG]

At it's easiest:
    [​IMG]

It really depends on why I'm feeling lonely. Normally, I don't show how much it gets to me on the outside, but on the inside it eats away at me. Constantly. Just some days I notice it, and others I accept it; the worse days, and the better ones.

While I generally always make use of my time, in either an enjoyable or beneficial manner, no matter which end of the spectrum I swing, there are moments where, I feel, I'd like to go through life, with somebody at my side. Just to know, hey, I'm lovable and somebody believes in me.

Loneliness may teach independence, but it humbles the heart. It's a rather hard exchange to experience, at least for me. Years ago, I was totally fine, but as I get older and time marches on, certain layers peel off, revealing newer, more vulnerable ones to and about me.

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow thanks for all the nice input, I can definitely relate. Sometimes its fine, other times being alone just gets boring. The last time I had a 'best friend' was years ago frankly.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get lonely when I watch movies where coupes are in love. Especially teenagers.

13. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find myself feeling loneliest when I don't have much to do. Keeping busy is a priority for me these days, whether it be meeting up with friends or doing solitary things like reading/studying at home.

For me it comes in waves and when it does, I try my hardest to distract myself somehow. Catching up on TV show episodes works pretty well for me. I think everyone goes through periods of loneliness, even those who appear to be the most 'socially active'.

#14 raiden04, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. Pine

Pine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Loneliness makes me feel like something is wrong with me.

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just go talk to a stupid person for a second (not hard to find), then you will appreciate being alone.

16. Tmy14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It impacts me heavily.
    I have no one to talk to about things.
    I'm just my mother's schooling machine.
    No friends. It's sad.

17. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have friends and family around me but I always feel lonely. Loneliness almost killed me. I had no one to talk to about my problems in my sexuality, and thought that dying is the easiest way out. But then I saw this forum site and realized I am not alone.

18. JT7314

It really sucks and affect me badly. Ever since i moved and my fiance is always at work i havent made any friends. It really puts a damper on things. I actually have become real good friends with my pets lol talk to them like they are real people...i just dont get answered back awwwww....epic fail...

19. antibinary

I always feel, if I'm talking to more than one person at a time, I'm not fully part of the group.