1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothing and Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jellal, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jellal

To what extent does clothing you wear impact the way you express your gender? What do you feel most "comfortable" or "at home" with wearing?

I'm not what you'd call fashion-conscious. My clothes tend to be loose and baggy, and I've never tried to wear anything like a dress or skirt. But I think that's because I never gave myself the chance to do it. Maybe there's something I'm missing out on? This year I wanna be a little more adventurous with my wardrobe.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I have my own style, and while it's mostly men's or unisex clothing, I don't mind wearing a skirt sometimes (in fact, I have dress-up days when I do just that)

If I was not pre-T, I would wear skirts out too, sometimes.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel really uncomfortable in any clothing that isn't men's/unisex.

4. PossumJack

My wardrobe is also mostly masculine or unisex. The only times I would wear a skirt is when I know I'm not going outside and the summer heat is getting really unbearable. As much as I hate how they make me look, I can't deny that skirts are really...nice and breezy. Besides, I usually can only wear jeans during the summer because my mom refuses to get me "boys' shorts" :\

5. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel comfortable only in men's and unisex clothing and my style is what would be considered metalhead (except that I don't have long hair, because it makes me look very feminine).

6. Lazuri

I feel the best wearing corsets and skirts, preferably in the goth style.

7. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    My wardrobe and my gender presentation changes drastically from day to day. Most of the time I just wear skinny jeans and a t-shirt, some days I'll wear baggy pants and a men's top, some days I'll wear a 50's style dress, some days I'll wear punk clothes, goth clothes, lolita, harajuku style clothes, wild clothes, conservative clothes, tight clothes, loose clothes, modest clothes, revealing clothes. I find what I feel most comfortable in changes day to day, week to week, but generally I feel far less comfortable in revealing clothes.

8. Tohru-Chan

I wear men's/unisex clothing for the most part, and I have since I was 15 or so. I wear women's pants because I have not yet found a pair of men's pants that fit me. Usually just straight-cut jeans.

9. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strangely the clothing I choose for each day varies very very much, which made me feel obliged to choose a style when in high school. Usually I like hippie and punk clothes but I dress quite simply, so I don't look like a try-hard hipster. :grin: My gender presentation also varies. Some days I feel gender neutral and choose unisex clothes, sometimes I'm a woman. I like baggy pants and shorts, ripped jeans, long skirts, plaid shirts, plain t-shirts, tank tops, halter tops, hoodies, woolen sweaters. I dislike make-up, heels, mini skirts and dresses, glitter etc etc. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: They are pretty on some women, but they are the type of things I feel really uncomfortable in. I don't care if others tell my I'm pretty in dressy girly clothes, I feel dressed-up and not confident.

10. Stacy in MA

When presenting male, I am most comfortable in slightly "dressier", more fitted and colorful clothes. I really like picking nice shoes to go with an outfit.

When presenting female, I tend more towards the casual. I like layers - sweaters over t-shirts or camis, with jeans, boots and either big necklaces or scarves. I also really like maxi skirts. I have plenty of dresses and short skirts, but I wear them more when the mood strikes rather than as a default.

In either mode (male or female) I like to wear make-up. I just go for an extremely subtle look when presenting male (tinted moisturizer and lip balm, clear mascara, the least little hint of blush and a non shimmery highlighter under the eye).

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You Ma'am, are amazing.
    Such a sexy style

12. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not only a sexy style, it's the best style, especially for women. xD By the way, Lazuri, I appreciate that you like Morticia and the quote in your signature is one of my favourites. :3

13. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I hadn't thought men's clothes would actually fit me until recently so my wardrobe just consists of women's or unisex clothes. I kind of just evolved from wearing mostly t-shirts, hoodies, and skinny jeans to button-up shirts (solid or plaid), hoodies, and skinny jeans. I don't like how it shows my curves but I have had to put up with it until I can afford new clothes.

14. PossumJack

I can sympathize with the skinny jeans dilemma so much. I only own one pair of pants that don't accentuate my curves and I wear it 7 days in a row because I hate having to go back to using my giant pile of skinny jeans. :dry: One thing that I find helpful is to have hoodies/jackets which are slightly oversized so that it goes over part of your hips, though you'll risk being read as a small child as a result.

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yes, and men too ^_-

16. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never worn clothes that weren't mens except maybe like a sweatshirt but that doesn't count. Usually I wear jeans and a button up shirt, something casual. Although I know there have been plenty of times where I go to school in sweatpants and a sweatshirt lmao. Depends on how frisky I'm feeling that day.

17. Acm

Acm Guest

The only women's clothes I wear are jeans. My mom won't get me men's jeans. Luckily most of my pants are straight cut, or slightly baggy (I like the "boyfriend style" jeans, they're a bit more unisex), and I do the pulling down a long hoodie/jacket thing too. I almost never wear just a shirt with jeans, unless it's really baggy shirt then I need a jacket or hoodie to hide my hips in order to feel comfortable.