1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Otherkin"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mischief, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) I wasn't trying to call anyone out in particular, the opinion you shared isn't a bashing one to me, in fact you raised a lot of the important issues. I honestly know little of otherkin, the one place I've found anything about it is tumblr... Namely a blogger who claims to be 90% Pluto and about 10% Dragon... O.- It reminds me of playing pretend games when I was a kid, and the connection that some of these people try to make to the trans community is defiantly troubling...

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Well, they can do whatever they want.. But of course, reading into it, these are also a bunch of people who believe in things like auras and energy fields... Possibly past lives too.

They are just another form of people not willing to live in reality.

What's funny is, I took an otherkin quiz once and got demon kin. I suppose that fits me very well.

3. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see no problem in adding fantasy to our ordinary lives. So let them be, as long as they don't use this as an excuse to bother other people.
    In fact, I think it would be quite interesting to talk with them about it.

4. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, okay, hold on. I think some things are being lost in translation.

I was never trying to lump furries or otherkin together. I just gave my opinion, and that opinion reflected my opinion of furries, as well.

I'm not trying to hate on furries, either. All I said was I don't understand them, and I think that if they actually think they themselves aren't human, they should get help.

I'm fine with people being who they are, yeah. I couldn't care less if you like to dress up as animals when it's not Halloween. I don't mind furries, I've met a few on PSN who were alright people.

If I have offended anyone, I'm sorry. Really.

5. Lazuri

That's really the only thing that annoys me about otherkin--the way they trivialize trans issues.

Well, that and the otherkin that take every opportunity to just go "I don't appreciate you referring to me as a cisgendered human male. I'm a dragon and my balls are pluto" just over and over, and then they act like humans anyways.

Just saying you are something doesn't make you be that thing. Only our actions define what we actually are, so if you're scaly, breathe fire, love gold and kidnap princess then congrats, you are a dragon. Color me extremely impressed.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the concept of otherkin is a very interesting thing that I personally think should be looked into more.

I'm totally fine if someone has that kind of connection to an animal.

As has been said before, the only time I'm ever against otherkin is when people try and lump being otherkin and being transgender into the same category. Not only does that bring the trans community backwards in progress as it feeds transphobia and the arguments that transphobia brings, but it's a very false equivalency.

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with Nekoko. (*hug*)

I have absolutely no idea why some people go so hard against those who identify as otherkin. Do they harm others? If they don't, then just leave them alone! Like Nekoko said, they don't deserve hate and judgement from anyone. If they are not hurting anyone with what they think, then leave them alone. Judging them and saying they are mentally ill simply because they believe in something that doesn't match your views is harsh. They don't deserve that judgement, they don't deserve the hate.

8. CyanChachki

To deny someone their beliefs is not my style. If someone believe that they are otherkin, then that's what they are. That's what makes them happy and when they're happy, I'm happy to. I know what it's like to be denied of who I truly am, I'm sure we all do. People telling us that we're not what we really are.. so to judge someone just because you don't personally believe that it's real is ridiculous. How do you know that it's not real? Of course, you can say, "How do you know that it's not?" but the answer would be the same - we don't know.

I don't know but I want to believe it because when I officially became part of my LGBTQ+ community, I made a personal oath. I didn't - and still don't - want anyone to feel as shitty as I did when I went through high school.

9. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That sounds like something bored teenagers do to feel special, if it persists into adulthood they definitely need help.

10. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Omfg. :roflmao:

@Quem: They judge themselves to be classed as disabled by claiming it to be "ableist" when someone doesn't agree with them or hates on them. That's what I find to be the worst about them - it isn't a disability by any extent. I am aware that not all of them are like this, but I've heard it a lot from them and it's absolutely ridiculous.

#30 Mischief, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of them claiming it to be ableist, actually. If they do so, they do classify themselves as disabled, that's true, which is obviously not good (like you point out yourself). I wouldn't call it absolutely ridiculous in general, because I don't know the reason why someone would say that. There might be reasons to it that make it not so ridiculous.

12. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clearly...

Perhaps I can clear this up since I seem to be the first furry to show up. I don't think I'm some "dragon's soul trapped in a human body". I have no delusions about being anything other than 100% human. I may have quite a few fantasies about being something else, but I have a pretty solid grasp of the difference between fantasies and reality.

I think most otherkin are furries as well, by definition. But they're a small percentage. Clearly they've let their fantasies get out of control a bit, but ultimately I think they're harmless, and you're overreacting.

Just out of curiosity... do you also get angry at people who cosplay as their favorite anime characters in public, or comic/tv show characters?

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Ah, forgot to add, there are also otherkin who believe they are inanimate objects. Like people who believe they are stars..

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do I care if someone says they're a turtle or lawn gnome? No, I don't. People can do what they please as long as they aren't being dicks about it or hurting anyone.

HOWEVER, if they (or any other type of kin, like "racekin" or "plantkin") have the audacity to compare being kin to transgender, I will go at them because nothing is more insulting than being thrown into a boat with someone who says they're a tree and gets confused when people refuse to take them seriously.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If people spiritually identify with animals or whatever, then that's fine.
    If they actually think that they're not a human, then they're stupid.
    There is a biological basis for being trans; we at least know that much, even if we don't know the exact details. But it's impossible for a human to have a non-human brain. This new wave of snowflake otherkin seems to think that their stupidity is similar to having gender dysphoria. I think they really shouldn't.

#35 An Gentleman, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  16. PossumJack

Just throwing it out there that if otherkin are really based on some form of reincarnation, around 98% of them would be insects of some sort. But noooo, all of them are some kind of b00tiful wolfkin or tigerkin or mermaid and shit. What I'm saying is that it gets pretty suspicious when every otherkin is some kind of animal that is considered "pretty" or "cool" from a human standard. And don't even get me started on the ones who claim they're cupcakes or some kind of inanimate object.

I'm pretty sure most otherkin are just attention seeking teenagers who grow out of it eventually. As much as I think they're ridiculous, I don't really care what they do. If they want to believe they were Legolas in their past life then go ahead, live and let live and all that. But I absolutely cannot stand it when they start comparing their "plight" to trans* people. It's just plain insulting and feels like a mockery to the real problems the transgender community faces.

17. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I have offended you, sorry.

You can do what you wish in your spare time, j'men calisse. If it doesn't hurt anyone, you can do what you wish.

I don't get angry at anyone for dressing up. Be they cosplayers or furries.

18. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh I'm indifferent to them. Most of these 'crazy demi-starkin blogs using nounself pronouns' out there are pretty obvious trolls. Like really obvious trolls.

Honestly I feel like I have no place to judge unless they are genuinely doing something harmful, which most otherkins I've seen that, again, weren't obvious trolls don't really do. They usually just sorta keep to themselves and just feel that they are spiritually connected to a particular animal.

Also about 'if it was based on reincarnation they'd all be insects' thing, technically you can debate whether bugs have souls.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^This. ^^^

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I just saw a bunch of these people calling themselves trans. Trans-unicorn, trans-lizard.. They even talk of "coming out".

Really? It's like their purposely invalidating trans people.
    No, you're not trans. You are a delusional, irrational kid. Our problems are very real.

They will just cause more people not to take us seriously.