1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym Motivation/Commitment

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GreyArchery, Jan 27, 2015.

1. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I got up this morning and had no desire to head for the gym. But then I remembered reading this thread last night and thought "You can do it!"

15 min cardio warm up and 1 hour of strength training. DONE!

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I've got some physical therapy exercises that I should be doing for my shoulder, and I haven't done for a really long time. Just lazy, I guess. But I've been reading your thread here, and decided that I've got to start somewhere. Well, I'm pretty good about long walks, but I need to add the shoulder work. You guys have inspired me. I'm starting up the shoulder work today. thanks!

3. lyjo

I get really attached to my coaches, and if my coach takes time to each me, I give everything I have. I used be in a boxing club, and I trained like crazy, got up every morning and even when I was exhausted, I'd go. Just because everyone who has trained me has given me so much strength.
    I had to stop because I've been sick for a few months now. And I've gained loads of weight, but I still feel as though I can write about what used to motivate me. I'd give anything to go back to the gym, but for now I can't.

4. GreyArchery

Hey all! I'm really glad that others are finding this thread inspirational :grin:

I'd like to apologize for the silence this week - After a couple months of basically working two jobs, it all finally caught up to me. It's a pretty lame excuse I know, but I've realized that I've this habit of taking on too many things at once without knowing it. I've a regular job, and on top of that I was working on a big freelancing project, plus researching the Pacific NW area for relocating in the future - which means applying to jobs out that way as well, and then I added going to the gym.

All of this pretty much left me no time to myself where I could just chill, and this past week it just all caught up to me. I ended up not going to the gym at all this week, instead focusing on getting that freelance project finished (which I did!). Now that I've only one job to worry about, I'll have more time to do what I want.

So starting next week this is what I'll be aiming for!

Goals of the Week!
    Stretches every morning - hopefully in the form or yoga
    Mon - Kickboxing class
    Tues - Training class
    Weds - 1 hour of cardio! (I'm hoping I can do close to 30 miles on a bike)
    Thurs - Training class
    Fri - 30 mins to 1 hour of cardio; Core strengthening and workout
    Weekends - Stretch, stretch, and stretch!

This is my goal for next week, and it should be much easier to juggle with just the one job to focus on. It really bummed me out not being able to go to the gym at all, but now I know that I need to spread out and pace my extra circulars and hobbies.

Thanks again for all of your support thus far! I'll be posting again every day next week. I look forward to hearing about how everyone else is doing with their goals too!

5. GreyArchery

So I went to the cardio kickboxing class today - it was exactly as I feared it would be. It was all cardio with a bit of Taebo thrown in - *not* my thing in the slightest. I definitely don't have the cardiovascular fitness for a high intensive cardio class that lasts an hour - 10 mins in and I was about ready to overheat. So, much as I hate not finishing things, I left the class. It was obviously not my thing, and I definitely couldn't keep up with the class. Plus, I'm a martial artist, so when I heard 'kickboxing' I was like 'Awesome! The gym offers a martial arts thing that I can actually go to!'

Turns out they do offer a straight up boxing class, but it meets during my workday (how bonkers is that? Would make more sense to be after work or even before work, but 9-10am? Just plain silly).

So I won't be continuing that class - I'll probably do cardio and core workouts instead.

Goals of the Week!
    Stretches every morning - hopefully in the form or yoga
    Mon - Kickboxing class
    Tues - Training class
    Weds - 1 hour of cardio! (I'm hoping I can do close to 30 miles on a bike)
    Thurs - Training class
    Fri - 30 mins to 1 hour of cardio; Core strengthening and workout
    Weekends - Stretch, stretch, and stretch!