1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym Motivation/Commitment

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GreyArchery, Jan 27, 2015.

1. GreyArchery

Thanks for the support! And kudos for not caving in to pastries :slight_smile:

I tried out that class today. It was good but different than what I was expecting - definitely more cardio than I thought would be in it. It was kind of like high-intensity circuit training. There were 3 different stations and you had to cycle through 3 different exercises at each as many times as possible in 6 minutes then switch.

I don't have the upper body strength to do a lot of reps on some of the exercises, but I did as many as I could without, you know, dying or overheating.

On the plus side, the class works out a lot of different areas, so it'll be a nice all-around workout. It'll be hard for a while, but I think it's worth going to. I've almost got a schedule down!

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Cardio! Probably biking again... :slight_smile:

Secondary Goal:
    Workout the upper body. If possible, 3 sets on 3 different exercises.

2. GreyArchery

So I tried out the rowing machine today. Not really a cardio workout, as I found out. But I was able to row about 4200 meters in 30 mins, which isn't bad.

And I accomplished my secondary goal! I'd like to say I would've done it anyway if I had done biking or something more cardio intensive, but I dunno. I think I did it today because I wasn't beet-red and could still breathe normally. *shrug* But I worked out the triceps, biceps, and part of the deltoids as well today.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Functional Training class again!

3. GreyArchery

YAY! So this class is pretty fun - the instructor likes to mix it up so it was less cardio intensive but we worked out the arms and abs a lot. Definitely going to be continuing the class. So that locks in a Tues/Thurs routine for me. And I've another class that will start at the end of the month on Mon.

Which means I almost have an entire week's routine in place. :grin:

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Cardio! Legs/Lower body workout!

4. GreyArchery

So I sort of succeeded. I didn't go to the gym today - got a call from some friends I've not seen in a while and decided to hang out with them. Luckily there's a treadmill at home, so I walked 1.5 mi and did squats, lunges, and leg lifts once I got home.

Weekend Goal:
    STRETCHING! For I am very sore...

5. GreyArchery

I did a little bit of stretching over the weekend, but my arms and muscles were so sore that I didn't do as much as I should have.

My arms are still pretty sore and I woke up today with that pre-sickness feeling :frowning2: - I didn't even eat breakfast which is really unusual since I'm generally hungry when I wake up. I think I definitely overtrained last week and think it would probably be best to take a rest day from the gym. Last thing I want is to injure myself or end up getting sick.

With any luck I'll be feeling better tomorrow and can attend my class.

Today's Goal:
    Rest and light stretching.

Tomorrow's goal:
    Class and more stretching!

6. Section18

Section18 Guest

Do you know how many calories you're consuming? Do you know you BMR? Do you know your TDEE? Losing weight is very simple, if you burn more calories than you consume then you will lose weight. Workout your TDEE and eat below it.

7. GreyArchery

So Monday and Tuesday were a bust. I ended up catching a 24-hour bug and did the smart thing and stayed homed and rested.

Went to the gym today and did some biking. The resistance didn't seem to be working, so I practiced cadence biking instead. Man that was fun! I didn't think it would be since I enjoy feeling the resistance, but I burned more calories than resistance biking and biked further!

I biked 13.25 miles today with an average cadence of 110 rpm. Every 5 minutes or so I ramped up to about 120 for a couple minutes. It was a lot of fun and I think I'll probably trade off cadence and resistance biking each time.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Training Class and stretching!

Felt good to be back at the gym. I think I might try out the pool over the weekend as well. :slight_smile:

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

wow, you're doing great! you are really motivated! keep going.

9. GreyArchery

Thanks!

Went to class today and somehow did something stupid and strained my right arm. Hopefully it isn't anything serious. Stretching and resting and more stretching is in store.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Cardio! Stretching! Possibly workout the core/abs as well - we shall see.

10. GreyArchery

Today I did a combination of cadence and resistance biking. I focused on keeping my cadence at 110 and had the bike run a random hill program that varied the resistance every so often.

Biking still remains one of my favorite things to do. :slight_smile:

I biked 12.8 miles today in 30 mins and maintained an average cadence of 110! I never let my cadence drop below 100 - yay for the little victories!

Weekend Goal:
    Stretching!

Next week I'm going to stretch for about 15 minutes when I wake up as well. I've been conditioning myself to wake up about a half hour before I need to - granted I fall asleep for another 20 before waking up, but at least now I've a sleep schedule that works for me. So when my alarm goes off I'm going to get up and stretch, then go about my normal routine.

11. GreyArchery

So yesterday was a total wash - there was a pretty awesome book signing in town that I went to and laziness won over me afterwards... :|

But today I went to my class and I managed to do about 5-10 mins of stretching when I woke up - not very good stretches, but I did *something* other than roll out of bed and get dressed.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Morning stretches! Cardio after work!

Getting pretty close to having a schedule/routine set up. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be able to just post once a week with a complete schedule.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

there are days like that. just make allowances for them, and then get back into the rhythm!

13. GreyArchery

Stretched this morning. One of these days I'll do some really good stretches instead of these half-hearted-still-sleepy ones I've been doing.

Walked 2.25 miles on the treadmill today in 45 mins. I'll be stretching before I go to bed tonight as well.

Tomorrow: Morning stretches! Class!

14. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    right on i think ill join in..but uhh just goals in general
    tonights goal: not snack anymore till tomorrow and read atleast three pages of a book any book..
    tomorrows goal: go for a walk maybe jog then do stretches.. :grin:

15. GreyArchery

Yay! Good luck on your goals! Let me know if you need book suggestions :slight_smile:

Today's plans changed - my side job gave me a bunch of work to do, which isn't bad because hey, who doesn't like making money? But my class tends to mess up my night schedule so I can't get a lot of work done. So I walked 1.5 miles and did 3 reps of squats, sit-ups, and planks - I apparently have zilch core strength, so I'm going to work on that a lot.

Tomorrow's Goal:
    Morning stretches! Repeat of today - treadmill and core body work out!

16. BiBiBaybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I went snowshoeing last weekend with my friend. We rented shoes at an Eastern Mountain Sports and walked about 3 miles on a "rail to trail" nearby. Better workout than an elliptical!

17. GreyArchery

Nice! Taking advantage of all that crazy snow eh?

Today I walked 2 miles, and did 3 circuits of sit ups, holding a plank for 30 secs, and Russian twists.

Weekend Goal:
    Stretching! Find some yoga stuff to do.

My new class starts on Monday - Cardio kickboxing! Hopefully it'll be fun. *fingers crossed*

18. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, you do great GreyArchery! I had to take a rest today because I overdid workout yesterday and feel pretty sore. Especially when lifting my arms. At least I went for a walk. I don't go to a gym but do a high intensive workout, 15 minutes maximum, at home. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

19. GreyArchery

I too have felt the pain of overworking muscles - mostly because of doing stupid things like using too much weight. Good job being smart and resting those muscles. Also, it's pretty awesome that you've got a workout routine for home! Right now I don't know enough to not injury myself at home, so classes are better for me until I get a hang of things. Can't wait until all this snow melts so that I can go biking outside!

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck! I used to have a gym membership but work and school got in the way. I'd go back if I was still in touch with most of my friends, but a home gym will do for now!