1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why they ban drugs and leave smokers ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joshy the queen, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Joelouis

I think I read somewhere that it's going to be illegal to smoke in vehicles soon in England.
    Though it may be only enforced if there's kids in the car at the time.

2. Lazuri

Until a meth head gets behind the wheel and runs you over. Suddenly it's your problem, just like it's been the problem of every person who lost children, friends or relatives to the recklessness of addicts.

Honestly, saying that everybody should be allowed to do what they want concerning drugs is an extremely narrow minded and self destructive opinion. People need to think bigger when it comes to this.

3. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Lazuri, although some smokers should be more considerate of the world around them. It's kind of gross when you walk down the street and some stranger blows stinky smoke in your face.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you have even less of a heart than me then. My mom held on to my brother after he accidenty overdosed on heroin waiting for the paramedics to come. His body was turning blue and she thought he was dead/going to die. Luckily he made it and we got him help...

Sorry if the appeal to emotion is too much.

I do wonder if someone close to you laying in your arms, dying of overdose, might change your mind about it not being your problem.

It's fair to say that maybe outlawing drugs does not decrease use but saying drug abuse only affects the person doing it and that they should be allowed to is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life. Even if it's the potential for someone high on drugs to be driving and killing an innocent person. Or the fact that many people steal to get drug money. Someone breaking into your house isn't your problem? Addiction is a REAL societal problem. We create laws to address societal problems and should work together as a society to fix them.

I'll make it clear though that I'm not saying that I know whether outlawing drug use has any beneficial effect.... It may be one of those things where "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." But there's huge societal implications to drug use. It's not a choice that affects only the user.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yeah, people tell me that a lot. I just don't feel emotions like other people.
    And sorry about that, but your tragedy isn't going to change my opinion.

Anyways, pretty much all of those things could happen with alcohol users too.
    Hell, innocent people get killed every day in accidents, especially by drunk drivers.
    People will also continue to steal, murder and all that kind of thing, regardless of drugs being legal or not. It's just humanity and it's primitive animalistic ways, and it won't get stop unless we as a species evolve into something higher.

I'm not saying drug use is "good", whatever the hell that means. I'm saying if people want to do them, I believe it's their choice.

6. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To the people declaring that drugs do affect others and should therefore be illegal, I have this to say: 1. Legalized drugs would allow for safer drugs. With legalized drugs you could regulate the quality of the drugs produced, which is extremely helpful in minimizing overdoses (Keith Richards attributes his survival to the high quality of the drugs he took). 2. People eat unhealthily and don't exercise, which leads to a much shorter lifespan. Should these activities be outlawed because they too affect people around them? If my brother dies of a heart attack at 35 should I campaign against the evils of couches and McDonalds? People have a right to make these choices. It doesn't matter whether or not YOU agree with those choices, or their outcomes.
    3. Making drugs illegal has killed or imprisoned many, many more people than drugs themselves (looking at you, Mexico). 4. The only legitimate point is the one about DUI. The thing is, legalizing these substances wouldn't make this any more of a common occurrence. It's not like if you legalized meth people like you or I would flock to the gas station to buy it. It's perfectly easy to find as is.

Now to reply to the OP's question: I think it is mainly because of the amount of smokers in the world. It would be like attempting the Prohibition again. I think instead of making smoking illegal, we should rather be teaching smokers to be more aware about around whom they smoke (no smoking near infants, for example). Of course, we already kinda do this. As for getting a whiff of smoke as you walk down the street, that's not going to do anything. If you're locked in a car with a smoker regularly, THAT'S how you get negative effects from second hand smoke. Not just one breath of many once a week as you stroll to your own, milder addiction found at Starbucks.

7. Lazuri

Dude, most of what you said only applies to the US. The amount of drugs and addicts here doesn't even come close to the amount that are in the US, but if it was legal, it would be. Take Spice for example, it's not classified as a controlled substance and when it made its way here, perfectly legal, overdoses and drug use went up like crazy. If all drugs were suddenly legal we'd take an even steeper dive.

Just because the US is too FUBAR on the issue doesn't mean that every single country is. Some are actually handling it alright thus far.

8. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry, I was approaching it from a US angle. Probably a little narcissistic of me, I apologize. I don't know enough about the situation in other countries to comment on it.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt such a ban could possibly be enforced... People would always find ways to get cigarettes.