1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hurtful news

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jan 27, 2015.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is a fourth option...

4) There are many things that gay people deeply love but are denied or rejected by. The media picks the wound of rejection by publishing rhe words of rejection over and over until it inspires anger. Not because the media is wrong in its reporting but it reminds the person they are rejected by those they love.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^

The media picks their battles for newsworthiness and/or shock value because that's what brings in the money. They're not sitting there wondering whose feelings they are going to hurt in the process. I've never processed it the way you do.

This thread has become a volley between a limited number of people.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. These stories are reported and individuals become angry with the news reported. Something else undlies where this thread went to versus the story reported in the way it was reported.

4. tscott

Some would say I don't have a dog in this fight apart from having been raised in the Catholic Church. I am as most know a high church Episcopalian, Catholic-lite. I belong to a church that in America has lead the charge in supporting gay rights. I live in a city where a Catholic parish ceded from the Church proper and is accepting of gays. Enough prologue.

The Church of Rome is a huge, ancient institution that endures and is vibrant even today. Change in such an institution is not going to be overnight, and there are compromises and factions that need to be placated. It is not right, but it is how any manmade organization operates. Like steering an ocean liner, it will not be turn on a dime. It takes a firm, steady hand, and the process is slow, otherwise it will break the keel and sink. That is what will happen to the Church if advances are made too swiftly. Francis should be applauded for the steps he has taken to build the relationships he has with the gay community. It certainly will not be enough for many, but these are monumental steps forward for the Church. Surely, more hurt has been inflicted on the gay community by the Baptists and other fundamentalists, who blindly or uninformedly strike out at the gay community here in the Americas.

Let's face it boys and girls; church is a club. You either want to be a member or not. If you see something that you don't like work from within to change it or join another club. It is a waste of our energy and a waste of our time to dwell on past hurts. Look where we've come in the past few years. Gay marriage in over 2/3's of the states. Twenty, thirty years ago serious consideration was given to quarantining gays, because of AIDS, we were labeled as mental defectives, were openly and freely discriminated without recourse. Hell, many of us here had our closets built without the help of any religious organization. They may have provided the hardware with which hung and locked our doors, but it there are many more factors that drove us to build our closets so well that for some of us have lasted 50 years for some of us. So many factors that makes this seem to be not much more than a paper cut. I may sting like hell, but it's far from a mortal wound.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where is the "threat" to marriage. Gay people should NOT, repeat NOT, try to be in "traditional" opposite sex marriages; this forum is replete with examples of how this rarely works out in the real world. Is this pope suggesting that they should ignore their sexuality and gay men get married to straight women or vice-versa? If there is any threat to a successful heterosexual marriage, and the creation of children who need to be supported, that certainly has to be more of one than two gay men, or gay women, marrying each other out of love and a commitment to each other. Recognizing that some men and women are gay, and are best suited to live with and support and take care of each other, makes much more sense than two opposite sex people, with no sexual attraction to each other living together, reproducing, and pretending to desire each other all their lives (until the divorce).

This pope seems to have previously demonstrated more common sense and understanding of real people than many of his predecessors; this does not seem to be an example of such behavior.

Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been a Catholic, but I note that statement of bad policies by people in the public spotlight tend to influence a lot of not very bright and opinionated people, whether the persons doing it are religious icons, or the sheisskopfs on Faux News.

6. PGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We are a threat. We might take all the cute guys out and leave the heterosexual people with only the ugly people... :lol:

Seriously though, it's just the Catholic church being intolerant as it has always been. Got to learn to simply ignore those comments.

7. MisterTinkles

Hmmm............The Pope.

And old drag queen, dressing up in gaudy outfits, living like a Queen, in a mansion full of men...in dresses, and young boys taking care of your every whim.

Hmmmmmm.......................
    Yep, he's "straight" as an arrow!!!

[​IMG]

8. Richie.

:jawdrop::bulb::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::thewave::goodevil::roflmao:

9. Thelyingleo

I hope that one day, every religion, every nation, every people accept gay marriage. That being said, my fathers side of the family is very Catholic (I am not) and there are several of us LGBT family members that have never been judged by our family members, young or old. We are accepted, loved, encouraged, etc. One of my family members well into his 50's is gay and does drag shows and is very public with it on Fb and all of our family supports him very much. I do not think that it's all Catholics, but some will use it as a reason to feel/act a certain way. It is saddening that the Pope could not encourage a season of change where same sex marriage is concerned, I hope that it will come sooner than later.

10. Drew55

As a recovering catholic, I find the hypocrisy of this situation overwhelming. My own sexuality and over arching guilt was developed by the church and its army of depraved minions, ( read as priests and nuns). One good thing from my childhood I embrace is the old saying, "sticks and stones..." . I find that once you understand organized religion and its purpose, the antics they perform directly correlate to their ability to control their flock. Today, as I read these fair and balanced news report, I sip a good brew of Joe and turn the page, never to GAS about the (insert religious leader title here) at all.

11. Linux Lenny

Well, why should we listen to the pop or any religious authority? They can say whatever they want. Homosexuality is real and is proved by science! Science is true whether we like it or not. God disappears when we lose faith on him. God is just a delusion!

I think there is no need to pay attention to such people. We are LGBT and we are not a "threat" :slight_smile:

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

No, that's nothing. If you want to see a drag queen, you need to look for some images of the most conservative of all cardinals, Raymond Burke.

and to OP, if we want to see change, we need to hang around. otherwise, nobody else will feel welcome. someone asked me yesterday what i would do if when doing introductions of visitors, two men stood up, said that they were visiting from california where they just got married, and were visiting our town on their honeymoon. I told him that I would welcome them like we welcome everyone else, and applaud. so, if we leave because not everybody in the hierarchy gets it right (and the fact is, some do), then who will be left to welcome those visitors?

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have no issue with what people want to believe. This post is about two things;

1) there are over 1.1 billion catholics in the world. Even if only 25% of them listen and act on statements made by the hierachy that is very difficult for gay equality.

2) calling any group a "threat" when it is a falsehood is not kind and can motivate non-catholics to act against the LGBT community.

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Atttire can speak volumes. I was unaware of Burke and had to look him up;

[​IMG]

Which brought to mind mother theresa and how she dressed;

[​IMG]

Attire certainly makes a statement.

(If EC staff want to resize that image please do. Sorry for size disparity)

#55 skiff, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015