1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Windows 10 Build!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Celatus, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So is anybody else running the newest preview build of Windows 10? As I'm sure you've heard, Microsoft had a huge event last week that's all over the news. The new build is a lot different from the last one, and overall looks and runs much more smoothly. If you become a Microsoft Insider, you can easily upgrade from Windows 8.1. Make sure to backup your stuff elsewhere though, because installing and reinstalling Windows can create some problems! (The Windows rollback feature is also not a good idea, I tried cancelling the process...and I had to reinstall Windows from scratch). Upgrading straight from Windows 8.1 seems to be the more straightforward process, instead of trying to do a clean install from an .iso on a usb key, which made me unable to use the recovery feature of windows as my computer wouldn't recognize my Microsoft account as an administrator account. Also, once you upgrade, make sure you use Disk Cleanup to delete the Windows.old folder (I tried to manually delete it cause it takes up a huge amount of space...and I corrupted Windows so it couldn't start...but I fixed it eventually haha) Give it a try, but also be prepared to deal with a few bugs! If disk space is a problem, try backing up your files on an external drive/usb key, use a partition manager like Minitool to delete the ridiculously large manufacturer recovery partitions which you won't really need, and then do a complete reset/refresh of windows before you upgrade. Fresh installing windows and removing factory bloatware and accumulated program files will give you a LOT more disk space before you upgrade, I recommend it especially for those using lower-capacity solid state drives.
    Also, If worst comes to worst, this tool Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Helpby Microsoft will help you install Windows 8.1 from scratch using an 8+GB usb key even if your computer won't start (I've used this tool multiple times, and it comes in very useful if you ever need to completely replace your hard drive and you've lost your product key (select regular Windows 8.1 in the drop down menu, not PRO or N or NT). Please note that after you upgrade to the Technical Preview that your product key will also change. So please do record your previous product key (I made this mistake) if it's not tied to your Microsoft account or embedded in the BIOS.

2. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, didn't know it was available yet, so much severe stress trying to find a new job I've been out of touch with a lot of tech stuff, easy to become a MS insider?, any major bugs or driver issues with 10? Nothing like having to buy a new printer because the new OS won't support it.

3. pokemonfan4life

OMG i cant wait till april-may when it is supposed to come out i espesially like the hololens concept it looks really cool

4. lukeluvznicki13

I'm actually over Windows. I've been very unhappy with my last two computers.

I'm going to be getting a MacBook Pro later this year.

5. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So far I just haven't been able to bond with Mac/Apple products, maybe it's my inner nerd or I just haven't tried hard and long enough.

6. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a complete Linux and Mac nerd, but a month ago I installed windows 10 on my shiny new xps13 ultrabook, which I got kinda as a present from work, to test the new windows 10. It was laying on my desk for months collecting dust, so I though why not. If it turns out to be shit I can always revert to whatever was there previously. Fun fact, prior to this I hadn't used windows since the windows xp era, I was windows free for over 8 years. lol

If the new windows 10 is good enough and an improvement from windows 8 I can give the xps13 as a present to my mother. I literally adore everything about my MBP13, so for me windows 10 on the xps13 is going to be a huge step back, but for someone who hasn't seen any better it's going to be an improvement. I just wish the touchpad drivers weren't so stupidly bad.

Oh yeah, I forgot to write about windows :slight_smile:. Some things were mixed up in the old builds (there were two control panels, etc.), but I think that was fixed in the newest ones. The mouse acceleration makes me wanna stab someone. Whoever thought that was a good idea is an idiot and needs to be burnt on a stake. :/ The multiple desktops function needs *a lot* more work, it feels very raw and unpolished. Other operating systems have gotten that aspect much better. Other than that everything feels just like two dimensional, slightly cartoony windows xp. It's not bad, but it's not amazing either. It's okay.

#6 pinkpanther, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. Aro

Aro

I am admittedly looking forward to Windows 10. I have been following the development statistics and screens from the time of it's announcement and it appears to be quite the upgrade. From all of the notes and the positivity floating around it, I am fairly certain that I will be upgrading my laptop when the time comes. Probably a few months after it's initial release just to be safe. I never jump at an upgrade to an OS right away. Too many things can happen; no matter how awesome it looks.

Hopefully there will be some people here that I can draw knowledge from when it comes out. c: I will be interested to see what this community says about it. From everything that I have seen and read thus far, it's going to be far more pleasing to me than Windows 8 ever was. I didn't hate it like most people, but it certainly has not been a favorite of mine.

8. MisterTinkles

Ummmm........in ENGLISH please?

:confused::lol::lol:

I miss my XP. Best thing MS ever did in the way of formats and programs.
    Had to forgo my awesome XP for a Windows 8.1 when they discontinued servicing them, which I hate and despise with every fiber of my being!!! You HAVE to be one of the creators of this abomination to maneuver in it, much less FIND anything in it!!! The most horrific thing since Vista!!!

I will look into it though. If it is free.

So, are you a guinea pig with this free version? Or is it for a limited time, then you have to pay for it? Whats the catch????? (there is ALWAYS a catch)

Is there a free demonstration online, or a remote online version you can play with to see if you like it?

If it is truly easier and better, I will see about getting it, if I ever get this portable storage unit working! I have a WD Passport external hard drive for back up, and since I got the thing, it wont do anything when I plug it into the pc. Ive been "back and forth" with their so-called tech support to get this thing set up, but nothing so far. And I cant return it, cause it was a gift.....I dont have the receipt.

#8 MisterTinkles, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  9. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wonder if it will use less or more resources and require a hardware upgrade and how backwards compatible it will be with W8 drivers and all that, nothing like having to throw out a perfectly good laser printer because they company that makes the printer is not making W10 drivers, that's happened a lot in the past with 7 and 8 and they do it to sell more hardware.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Two catches:

First, this is not a shipping edition. Thus there are undoubtedly bugs and other issues to work out. It is not the choice for systems where top reliability is required.

Secondly, I don't know if this is still the case, but a while back there were privacy concerns about the Windows 10 Preview.

Will Windows 10 TP's spooky data collection carry over to final version? | PCWorld

11. abominable

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Eh, I'm still skeptical of it. I throw up at the sight of those tiles still; someone needs to tell Microsoft that 7+8=15, not 10. It reminds me of the software I'm developing at work right now; the company wants a do-it-all solution and.. eh, it's not very user friendly at all.

On the bright-side though, they finally have multiple desktops, something Linux and Macs have had for years.

12. MisterTinkles

bbb

Windows 10, so far, seems to be something I could use a lot easier than Win 8.1.

Although still in the "build mode", Microsoft says Windows 10 will be a FREE upgrade for any current Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 users......AS LONG AS YOUR COMPUTER HAS THE ABILITY TO STORE AND PROCESS Win 10.

Windows 10 will ONLY be available for FREE upgrades after the first year of its formal release. You can still get the trial version right now, but you will probably have a LOT of updates, kinks, and bugs....until they finalize it.

June 2015 is the targeted release date of the finalized build.

Here is a link to see if your computer can run Win 10...
    (its to see if your pc can run 8.1 actually, but if your pc can handle 8.1, it should be able to run 10)

Windows 10: Will your PC run it? | ZDNet

Here is the YouTube video....this guy does a pretty good job of explaining the basics...

[YOUTUBE]kiZXZG-_oLs[/YOUTUBE]

I will probably switch over to Win 10 in August or September 2015. That will give MS time to work a lot of the "bugs" out of the program, since they will have the program out for public consumption.

The selling point for me on this is the Cortana interface.
    That is worth it.......whether I use that or not.

Be warned though.......supposedly MS has gotten rid of having passwords for Win 10.
    Supposedly, the new security features in the new program will have people not needing passwords. ................Im not so sure about that. I would still like the option for passwords.

#12 MisterTinkles, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  13. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find the new build of windows 10 to be far more stable than the previous one from last year, and use it as my primary operating system because of the touch friendly desktop and start menu features.

14. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What about drivers? do we know yet if anything with windows 8 or 8.1 drivers will be compatible with 10? That's been a problem in the past.

15. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everything appears to be fairly cross compatible from windows 8 to 10, I don't know the intricacies of driver compatibility because I think it also varies for every system

16. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a good sign because there is nothing worse than not being able to use perfectly good peripherals simply because new drivers are needed and the manufacturer won't make drivers, they rather just sell you a new printer or whatever.

17. Masnar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How is Windows 10? I just went legit with 8.1, so I could get the upgrade...

18. Void Puppy

you can get legit windows 10 on release even if you're using a pirated copy of 7/8/8.1 (Guilty here).

19. Aro

Aro

Good to know. I have a legit copy. I will be looking to pick that up on release for sure. I am liking everything I read and have seen about it. Looks to be a way superior build that the current generation. Though the bar wasn't set particularly high.

20. Masnar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, Microsoft released that statement literally three days after I purchased and installed. Well, I guess it is something that I went finally went legit!