1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Phobias?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chelski, Jan 25, 2015.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone mentioned some textures. I can't stand the touch/feel of styrofoam. My mother ironically cannot stand the sound of it.

2. Colton

I have a fear of cacti. They're terrifying.

3. tulipinacup

I don't necessarily think that it's a phobia but when I was a kid I used to be scared of watching shows like Rescue 911 and World's Most Amazing Videos. Yeah it's weird as hell but I just didn't like the narrator's voice and how serious they sound and watching the shows in the middle of the night with my family. I always have nightmares about scenarios that was featured, lol.

4. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may sound a little far fetched, but I used to have a phobia for the final boss in StarFox 64 (and still do). When I was younger, I would run upstairs and let my older brother beat him for me because I was just too terrified of him.

5. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Botanophobia. The fear of plants.

I just... I can't even. I fucking hate going in murky water, because there might be something in there. I can't even look at any picture or video of a jungle floor with all those fucked up things. When I watched Jumanji & Journey to the Center of the Earth I had to turn it off, never finished either. When I played Batman: Arkham Asylum I fucking cried.

6. Rainbows~Exist

Dark or murky water, like if I'm in a murky lake *shudders* I always get the feeling that there's some kind of giant monster like Cthulhu hiding in there waiting to grab me...

7. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My fear, deep down, is ever to be in a state of uncontrollable distress. It's not a fear that takes control of my life, but it's more a wish for this not to happen.

I don't mean within my body (wherein claustrophobia and a fear of being trapped come in), but within external forces beyond my control.
    I've never felt this, yet, but when things humans can't control were to suddenly give way or stop working. I don't know anything about physics or gravity, so what if gravity were to suddenly give way for one moment? Any types of fast, and long vertical descents put me in a little panic because I can't stop it from happening. I added 'fast' in because fast descents make me feel sick (and I'm looking at you rollercoasters). It's more the aspect of losing control of what happens to me, not so much the circumstances.

That and corpses. The absence of a human spirit just creeps me out, and I hate to see it embodied.

8. tscott

Monkeys/apes...I'm fine with lower primates, but monkeys/apes scare the crap out of me. I just stay out of the monkey house at the zoo and avoid nature shows featuring them.

Cats...I'm better about them, but if not familiar with them they do freak me out a little. It's what I get for trying to break up a dog and cat fight when I was 4. The cat turned on me and I had wanted to protect it. Big mistake. My father had to pull it off my back, because it had dug in to it. Not a cat fancier.

9. Lazuri

Y'know I just remembered something on the topic of phobias.

There's substantial evidence that phobias are genetic. Basically, the theory was that when a person experienced massive trauma and/or fear due to something, it would pass on genetically.

They tried this out with rats--yes, animal experimenting is terrible, but what's done is done--and conducted an experiment where they'd expose rats to the smell of cherry blossoms and then shock them. Eventually the rats became afraid of the smell of cherry blossoms because they learned to expect the pain. Then they took the rats offspring at birth to completely seperate them from their parents and as they grew older, they did show an unreasonable fear for the smell of cherry blossoms despite never have being shocked themselves.

I think it's an interesting theory. What do you guys think?

10. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Insects freak me out.

11. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am afraid that I'm walking around with my zipper down. I check several times a day

12. justjade

Highways. Definitely highways. Most of my fears actually revolve around driving.

13. Zombi3

Yeaah G

Going in surgery.. I fear I might wake up in the middle of the operation.

Long messy hair... I find it creepy. But only if its a horror situation.

The sea.. It makes me feel so vulnerable and helpless.. Thats why I can't swim. Although I want to learn.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2015 at 02:12 AM ----------

Yeah, I think most people dislike that "Squeak" and feel of it.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It is an interesting one, but it begs the question...

Who among my ancestors was swallowed alive, survived, went on to have children, which lead to me? Whoever it was, they were one bad mofo, LOL.

15. rugerman52

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, who doesn't hate those spikey green stumps coming out of the ground. I honestly can't stand to even look at a picture of them.

16. Psaurus918

I have a bunch but one that I deal with on a regular bases is wasps/bees, I'm allergic and we get tons of wasps around here and they are nasty. I'm not as scared of bees because I read it takes a lot to piss off a bee and they do a lot of good while wasps are just pure evil and are far more likely to attack.

17. 101DeadRoses

I have a terrible fear of crickets and grasshoppers. Jumpy insects irk me, and the fact that I once found a cricket inside my pants makes it worse.

Seeing things in the night. Night itself isn't bad, as I love the stars and pondering life on other planets. The night sky does fascinate me, but I always have this fear of looking into the shadows and seeing something looking back. Or, seeing a big night animal very close to me.

And social situations. I've messed up enough to be afraid.

I'm also scared of rattly, distorted. or gurgling vocalisations from a humanoid creature. Distorted voices when speaking only would really freak me out if I were to come face to face with the source.
    But freaky breathing...hell no.

18. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a very interesting theory! I've never heard of it before, but it could be true, I don't know. =)

I do know that both me and my mom have fear of heights, and that both me and my grandma are afraid of wasps and bees. So my fears do run in the family, so to say.

19. Lazuri

Maybe your ancestor was Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.

20. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or a child of Kronos.