1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ TV Series

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rainbow Girl, Jan 24, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

The L Word is actually quite good. More for an 18+ audience because of some of the scenes but the story line overall is really good and it's not just focusing on lesbians, it's focusing on bisexuals and transgenders as well as many other issues that are sort of linked to all that. What I like about it most (without giving out any spoilers) is that it's not always like "We're lesbians and we're going to talk about LGBTQ+ rights all the time" it's more like, we're in a relationship and we love each other and this is what's going on right now which is cool because even back then, the LGBTQ+ community was fairly frowned upon and a lot of the shows that did turn out to be about LGBTQ+ people where protesting through the show more than showing that we are normal people who just simply love one another and do normal things.

2. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Gay male characters:

• Modern Family (sexless and stereotypical)
    • Nashville (closeted country singer never with a love interest)
    • The Walking Dead (newly added gay characters Aaron and Eric, gay kiss caused a ton of complaints)
    • Black Sails (captain Flint, gay kiss caused a ton of complaints)
    • Empire (amazing, very good representation of a gay character)
    • Shameless (amazing portrayal of gay characters, they even get to have SEX!! which is EXTREMELY rare for gay male characters)
    • How To Get Away With Murder (good gay character and he actually has sex which is very rare)
    • Backstrom (gay character without a love life)
    • Orphan Black (stereotypical gay character who we never get to see kiss other guys or have sex despite the fact that he's supposed to be a prostitute)

3. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Black Sails, especially the second season (still airing)

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Off the top of my head right now (I haven't finished all of these + some I've only heard of but from what I know they all have some element of LGBTQIA+ representation)

-Orphan Black
    -Orange Is The New Black
    -The Fosters
    -In The Flesh
    -The L Word
    -The Legend of Korra

5. Pete1970

Just read the Looking was cancelled by HBO. It was an interesting show.

I feel bad for Jonathan Groff though, both show he was on ended in the same week.

6. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *looking into Looking* It sounds like a good show... like it was a good show, Pete. That's too bad.

*reading previous posts* No one's mentioned The 100! Clarke Griffin, the lead, female character, is bisexual in the series. She's either gay or bisexual in real life, I'm not sure... It's so cool to see bisexual and gay women represented in a Sci-Fi show, especially when they're in pivotal roles.

7. O.Snap!

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "Empire." I miss it already. Good gay representation without all that stereotypical flamboyancey. Bonus: Every Wednesday night Jussie (one of the actors in the show) Tweeted us on Twitter while it aired. Pretty cool of him!

8. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I liked
    The L Word
    Queer As Folk
    Strawberry Panic
    Xena: Warrior Princess
    South Of Nowhere

9. azurekite900

azurekite900 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Queer as Folk, the L word, 1 girl 5 gays, Rupaul drag race

10. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed - I highly recommend Transparent! It's something completely different from other shows and I really enjoyed all the characters. I also felt like it helped me gain more awareness.

I am really excited for season three of OITNB this June!! They have a new actress (inmate) in season three named Ruby Rose who is actually a lesbian in real life, so that is pretty cool.

The L Word is like the OG of lesbian programming. It definitely pushed boundaries at the time, and I just loved watching a show all about gay couples. So many shows these days only have maybe one LGBT character as a side storyline, so it's nice to see that front and center.

There are a lot of LGBT shows made in Canada. To add another one to the list - Lost Girl is completely ridiculous at times, but entertaining. The main girl is bisexual and there's a whole love triangle going on throughout the show. As well as a lot of other weird supernatural stuff...

11. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love Rupauls Drag Race and OITNB. I know it doesn't really make sense but I really want to be a drag queen even though I'm female. They just look so glamorous and I could never pull that off even as a woman.

12. fragileflame

Where can I go to catch up on Faking It? I'd like to watch that show, but I always forgot what time it was on. Is it on netflix or the MTV website or...?

13. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was on MTV! You can catch up online there I think - although they have some restrictions based on how long a show has been out. You can find it pretty much anywhere you'd stream shows online as well (ex. project free TV). I hope you like it!