1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents forced my hand

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CyberStar, Jan 23, 2015.

1. CyberStar

Recently my parents discovered my Facebook. They found out that I had one, and my dad noticed that the pronoun was 'she'. My dad had also caught me looking at some transgender stuff before, so he at least had a clue about this. My mom threatened to throw me out if i didn't show my Facebook, so I had an argument. They haven't seen it yet, and I wrote a letter (attached?), but when I get home from work I am expecting a confrontation. What should I do? Please help me.

Attached Files:

2. Jellal

Do you believe this confrontation could turn physically violent? I know that sounds extreme, but there are some people in my extended family who would go that far. If you think that might happen, then STAY AWAY, try to get with the friend who promised to take you in.

I don't know what kind of people your parents are. If they're the type who would never lay a hand on you and would sooner stomp away on a regular basis, then maybe it will just be an exchange of words. Even though it will likely be an unpleasant exchange, maybe this letter is exactly what they need to read. Putting speculation to a stop could at least get them to understand what kind of issues you're dealing with in terms of how they've been acting and how you've been acting. I'm glad to see you have a friend who will look out for you. Having that kind of close connection might be your saving grace if your parents really freak out.

Sorry I can't offer more, but I think your telling the truth with this letter is the best step to progress. Steel your courage and hand it to them. Sometimes things like this just have to be said.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Jellal. Be carefull here.

4. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ashley, I wish you luck. I do have to agree with what Jellal and Chiroptera said. If things get violent, then you need to get out before you get hurt. Maybe they'll accept you, maybe they won't. From what I read, when you get home, grab a quick bag of necessities, give them the letter, and go to your friend. If they really do love you, then they'll call and apologize. If not, then you'll be far enough away to escape physical harm. Again, I wish you luck, and hope that your parents understand and accept you for who you are!

5. CyberStar

Errm... *fidgets uncomfortably * I, uh, already gave it o the.m. I laid it right smack in tye middle ofvtye couch before I left for work.
    I thougt it was a good idea at.sxhool where I ty_ped it on my tablet (which has a much bigger keypad tthan this tiny phone.) Now I'm thinking, "my god, Ashley, you are an IDIOT! They'll scream atvtou all night. long!"

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep us updated if possible! And if you are confortable with it, of course.

7. catsarecute

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well If They Cat Except You For Who You Are Then You Mine As Well Leave Until They Do When You Get Home Sneak In Put On A Warm Coat And Steal Some Food And Water On Your Way Just In Case If Your Parents Do Except You That Will If Not Run Straight To A Friends

8. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Find someone you can stay with and bring them with you to the house, just in case. If things get violent, two heads are better than one. Hopefully it won't come to that. Good luck, and please keep us posted xx

9. asexualzebra

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck and update us when you can

10. CyberStar

Wow. That went a bajillion times better than expected!
    So when I got off work, I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. So I bought a bottle of Neuro Bliss and drank the entire thing as I put my stuff in my locker. That took the edge off my nerves (there's a reason why I love Neuro). Then I walked outside, my dad griped a little about the tone of my letter, and then began talking ab thout the transgender part of it. He was confused, but completely accepting. And when I got home, my mom was just as nice about it. (Although they're still like, "are you SURE that it's not just that you're gay?") We actually had a civil conversation for the first time in a long time!

So, yeah, that went infinitely better than expected!

11. Ticklish Fish

congrats!

civil conversations are always good especially if one side isn't trying to defend themselves or dismiss your thoughts/feelings (my own family thing but ok haha)

12. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!

Happy for you! Really :]

13. Acm

Acm Guest

Congratulations, I'm glad it went well!

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that the conversation went well! Congrats!