The Talk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by waitwhat, Jan 22, 2015.

?

What was your "Talk" with your parents?

1. Classic "The Talk"

18 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. "Where do babies come from?"

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. No talk at all

73 vote(s)
    75.3%
  1. Burnedcloset

The letters S-E-X cannot be used in my culture in front of elders. So no talk of puberty or sex.

Once I said bisexual and everyone freaked out. They said I'm supposed to only say bi.

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Never had "the Talk"
    After a certain age, I think 10 or so, my parents put these children's books about sex/puberty on the bookshelf and didn't zap away when any sexual themed stuff came up on tv.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I Knew about this shit since I was like 4 lol

4. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    Never had the "talk" with my parents ever. I found out all these things at around 14 years old (Thanks to the internet). Had a sex ed class recently back a month or two ago and i'd say it was pretty decent, taught me about HIV and the stuff that happens to get pregnant which i never knew properly about until that class.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    People at school talked about sex. I picked up bits and pieces from them. The teachers once put on a 20 minute long sex-ed video which didn't teach us anything about sex, and then, the rest was from the internet, so by the time I was having real sex-ed classes, I already knew everything

6. Stripe101

Phhh welcome to the 21st century. We have the Internet to teach us that stuff now. "The Talk" is an archaic form of education.

7. aeva

We have this amazing book called Being Born, and I found it on our shelf when I was about 7, and read it. I then asked my dad "eeew, did you really do that?", and he laughed and said yes...but that was pretty much it. My dad and step-mom are REALLY open about sex, so there was never really any one cohesive "talk", with the exception of my step-mom explaining periods.

8. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never actually got "The Talk", my parents just handed me this book that explained how it worked in the most scientific and grossest way possible.

9. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't get "The Talk" from my parents, I got it from my martial arts instructor of all people. My parents still haven't brought the subject up.

10. Emmanuella

Nope. I don't ever remember getting the talk...

I remember being told, when I was around 8 years old, that to get pregnant you have to eat a lot of soup. I'm pretty sure it was my mom who told me that...
    but when I brought it up many years later she was offended at the suggestion that she taught me such nonsense. According to her, never in a million years would she ever say anything so ridiculous. I'm not convinced it wasn't her though...

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We watched more than a few graphic movies as kids (our parents didn't believe in sheltering us in any fashion), so "the talk" wasn't really needed..

12. Randomcloud

Not talk at all. The most they did was buy me a cartoon book (made for kids. It was hysterical) describing the basics.

13. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh boy, I've yet to have the "talk" with them but I don't think they got anything "prepared" for us. I would be VERY surprised though if either, or both, approached me about it out of the blue. Like seriously.

14. CrazyAwkward

No one ever gave me "the talk". Like most other things, I got that info from books and the internet.

15. hereliesfreedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    School basically have us "The Talk" 4th through 8th grade. My mom tried it but I just walked away. Couldn't take another one.

16. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Never got an actual Talk. I went to Catholic schools from kindergarten through college, so sex ed in school was lacking. In fifth grade, the teachers had a week-long unit about "Our Changing Bodies" which would only cover puberty, not human reproduction. I ended up out with strep the entire week, so instead my mom gave me a book that discussed puberty for both boys and girls and how babies are made and told me to read it. In high school, we learned about STDs in our required health class and had a unit in our theology class sophomore year that was abstinence-focused. Mostly I learned from some of the more reputable sources on the internet.

17. Centore

Centore Guest

Nope. We never had "the talk". My parents knew I would gather information by myself.

18. ChameleonSoul

Never got the talk from my family. Everything I learned came from health class and idle chatter from middle school.

19. RemakeJake

Wow! I didn't expect so many people to have not had 'the talk.' I thought I was in the minority.

20. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My parents never cared enough to uphold an ordinary conversation, let alone "The Talk".

I first learned about sex in school actually, and up to this day, my knowledge derives from classes and the interwebs.

However, in a long car trip, my aunt and uncle started chatting me up and reminding me of how important the use of protection is and even offering to provide me with such protection. It was every bit of awkward one can imagine it to had been...

P.S. Those pink books in the so-called "restricted"(by the students, not the faculty) section in my middle school's library were also very enlightening in every subject related to sexuality.